Hello People:

I had open hemorrhoidectomy on April 16. Docs said i had 8 piles and only removed 4 as the rest if removed will make my anal canal too tight to pass stool. I noticed that the piles that were left were outside and this cause me pain thought these piles are just small compared to those piles i had before the surgery.

Doc said that these piles will regress in due course. Is this true? Also, i noticed a foul smelling leakage light brownish in my gauze pads. Doc said this is due to the wounds and this will go away. It is now 3 weeks past and i still feel pain in my anal region. Some people say healing takes time for hemorrhoidectomy as the wounds are always being aggravated due to bowel movement.

I wanted to go back to my normal life and any words from you people will really mean a lot to me.

Thanks!

Hi jerome_padilla. Thanks for your question and I appreciate your concern. Unfortunately, healing does take time. It would be nice if it happened overnight, but that is just not the case with open hemorrhoidectomy. Every patient dreads the pain associated with post-operative bowel movement and some may even delay defecation (which would increase constipation and make matters worse). Instead, the doctor may prescribe frequent doses of magnesium salts to encourage passage of liquid or semi-solid soft stool.

If the surgery was carried out properly, postoperative bleeding should be rare. Although significant bleeding should be obvious, hidden bleeding into the rectum can also occur. In case of the later, the only signs of bleeding may be those of diminished blood volume (pallor, falling blood pressure and rising pulse rate) as well as shock. This doesn't sound like your case.

If your symptoms continue, best to see the doctor right away. Most doctors say to allow 6-8 weeks to feel normal again.

Hello Brendan: Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it! I went to my 2nd post op follow up and Doc gave me ciprobay (brand name) anti-biotic for the smell. I read the leaflet of the drugs and guess it really works for the gastro-intestinal region. The smell has gone and noticed lesser leakage. I was able to drive a short distances and pain is now bearable. However, the piles left after the surgery still stings and pain. Will this regress over time?

Thanks!

So glad to hear you are doing better! That is encouraging for a lot of people who are going through the same thing you are and I commend anyone who undergoes a hemorrhoidectomy! %-)

The recovery time differs from person to person. Some recover fast but for some it takes even up to 8 -10 weeks to recover. And there is no certainty that the problem will out come up again. Some people face bleeding weeks after the hemorrhoid surgery.

If you want to speed up the process a bit, avoiding alcohol will help (if this is even an issue), take proper food rich in fiber, drink lots and lots of water and so on. It is also important to keep pain killers handy. The patient should also take full rest after the surgery and apply necessary creams or gels on the area till the wound is healed. It is important for those recovering from hemorrhoid surgery to continue soaking the area in warm water or placing ice packs on the area and go for check ups even after the surgery. This is supposed to help a great deal! Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.