New Reply New Topic Followed by 26 people

I am 8 month Post Thyroidectomy (Large Substernal with deviated Trachea. Immediately after surgery I began feeling tightness, pressure fullness and a pulling and stretching in the entire neck area. It is still the same today 7 months later. I have had numerous post op visit with surgeon along with 2 additional second opinions; 1 GI consult with barium swallow that showed a hiatal hernia and GERD; modified barium swallow and larangoscopy; plain management with injections into the scar because it is tight and painful - I can feel the entire incision. I have been on prilosec, doesn't help any and I'm getting ready to see another GI Dr. and have an MRI. Today my neck is much tighter and fuller. The feeling is as if there is a tight band around my neck and throat. My swallowing is not normal but very exzagerated. Can anyone comment. I don't know what else todo. Is is possible that the wrong sutures were used internally. 3-0 Vicryl and 4-0 Vicryl internally witn subcuticular closure or scar tissue is causing this continued misery?

Can any one help me on this situation??

I, too have been experiencing the same problem Marsha. Worse still is that small birthmark like bumps have begun forming around the scar. It is uncomfortable to sleep and wearing a necklace or a shirt that even grazes the scar is out of the question. The only explanation I've received is that the healing process for everyone is different...which is a doctor's way of saying "I have no idea".

Still experiencing the same tightness in my neck 1 year later since Total Thyroidectomy. No doctor can tell me why??

Any thoughts?

Marsha wrote:

Any thoughts?

you better get used to it. it is caused by the fibers that fullfill the emptiness of the tissues that were taken off. it makes pressure over the muscles, and it tends to get tighter over time.

2 years after for me , and it's getting more tight.
have you tried phisioterapy ? i'm beggining now. maybe it can help.

I had my TT about 2 months ago and I too am feeling tightness at the surgical site. At first, I thought it was food allergy because the tightness seems to be worst after I eat nuts. However, the site of tightness is getting smaller. At first, my entire neck would become tight, and then just the front half and now it's just around the surgical site. I was hoping it would eventually go away. I read it some where that rubbing moisturizer would help because the rubbing would losen up the fibers inside but then my scar is still too painful to really touch it. When I touch my surgical site, it's all numb and painful. The feeling's just kinda weird. I can only wear v-neck shirts now because it hurts when the collar rubs against the scar...so frustrated

I have had every thing imaginable including PT without any change. I've had all kinds of injections into the scar without any sucess. They now want to try Botox. I will not continue to be experimented on. Someone should be able to give me a definitive answer as to why my neck is still the same as it was when I came out of the surgery (very tight and full). After over 1 year my scar is also still sensitive.

Maybe something went wrong during the surgery?????

Thanks for listening

Marsha wrote:

Thanks for listening

I can't believe I've found other people who have the same problem as my mom. My mom had her thyroidectomy 19 months ago and her neck is feeling tighter and tighter. She is tired most days from the tightness and is getting more and more depressed. The surgeon can't see anything wrong and a second ENT specialist has just booked her in to see a GI specialist. But based on what I've read, it sounds like that it will be another dead end.

Has anyone out there looked into whether a second surgery would help alleviate the tightness?

Its been 5 weeks since my total thyroidectomy. I am also experiencing the tightness, pulling and stretching feelings in my throat, at times it feels like there is a choke hold around the base of my neck. One of my recurrent laryngeal nerves was damaged, so I am hoarse but my ENT scoped my throat and said the nerve does have movement and is not permanently damaged. He also monitored it during surgery and knows it is still intact. As a side note, I still have puffiness around my scar, but have been applying Mederma and massaging it as my ENT recommended, the incision area is not painful. However, at this point I don't really care what my scar will look like, it's the constant feeling of being choked that has me alarmed. Could this choking sensation be related to the damaged RLN? I was perfectly fine before this surgery, and only had it to remove numerous abnormal growths on my perfectly good thyroid! I will be seeing my ENT this Tuesday so he can scope my throat (again) to try and figure out what is wrong, and may send me to a specialist. I am very concerned when I read posts where this choking sensation and feeling of tightness has not been resolved after months! Has anyone gone through this and finally found the cause and relief from these symptoms? I am very scared this is going to be with me the rest of my life. I cannot find my symptoms described as a complication of thyroidectomy on any medical website. Please post if you are going through this or have been through this and found the cause and relief. Thanks.

have any of you had ultrasounds of the neck to look at the scar tissue? Have the doctors recommended neck stretches (I suppose that would be physical therapy). Perhaps we have to keep our necks flexible and the scar tissue stretched out. I also notice some tightness in my neck and I wonder if it is scar tissue.

I wonder if massage and warm compresses would help. Have you tried something like ben gay (or tiger balm -- a liniminty type thing)?

I have the exact same thing - and I've received the same exact response from the surgeon. He looks at me as if he as no idea what I'm talking about. I'm 6 months post partial thyroidectomy and I'm on my second round of cortisone shots. The shots are worthless. I'm thinking I'm going to be like this forever.

Try antacid for acid reflux problem, it helped me ( one 3 times a day )

Guest wrote:

I have been to 15 different surgeons and specialty Dr's. and havehad every test imaginable and no one can tell me why my neck is still as tight as it was 19 months ago when I had the surgery. Some days is it almost unbearable and it is getting tighter. Stress does make it worst.

How is this possible to have a condition, post surgery without a surgeon or any one else being able to tell you why there is a post op problem. This was not a risk that I was told about with 2nd opinions prior to the surgery.

There is no medical literature to support this.

Did the deep massage help anyone, was it painful or did it make things worst?

Thanks for listening.

I too had a TT 2 months ago after finding out that I had thyroid cancer. What brought me into the emergenct room was this feeling that I had a lump stuck in my throat and that my breathing may be obstructed. After the surgery I had all the same feelings everyone had, but now I am gettomng that same feeling again, like a lump is stuck in my throat. Sometimes I even feel tightness in my chest when I get this feeling. Anyo ne get that feeling?

Have you tried seeing a chiropractor? Believe it or not, they can help with many problems. They are not just "bone" doctors.