I was really hoping to be one of the few people who could write a non-awful tonsil removal experience. Admittedly, the first week post-op wasn't so bad. I had adequate pain meds and seemed to be healing quite well. Don't get me wrong, the pain was awful. After reading some of these posts about the pain being worse than childbirth, I was really expecting a lot worse. On day 8 post op, I lost one of the scabs on the right side of my throat and had some significant bleeding. I went to the ER, was admitted and had to have my throat re-cauterized. This is where everything went to hell. I believe my tongue was also cauterized as everything now tastes like metal. Before the second procedure, I was able to drink pretty much anything except carbonated beverages. Now, everything I drink inlcuding lukewarm bottled water stings my throat unbearably. Nothing tastes right, and I am in way worse pain than after the tonisllectomy. The worst part of my ordeal has been the constipation that has resulted from the use of narcotic pain meds. I wasn't adequately warned of the effects of the pain meds, and did not have a bowel movement for 13 days. I made the mistake of taking a laxative (versus stool softener) and when I finally got the urge to go it was a nightmare. I spent a full 24 hours trying to pass the bowel, in excruciating pain (even after using an enema) and very close to calling an ambulance. I am sorry to be so graphic, but I would never ever want someone to go through what I did. I definitely screamed and cried and never have wanted my mom so badly in my entire life-and I am 28! Since the second procedure, each day has gotten just a little bit worse. I am due back at work next week, and hope by then to be somewhat functional. If I had this to do over, I never would have gotten my tonsils out. All I can say is that if you know you will be taking narcotic pain meds for a while, take some stool softener or eat lots of extra fiber, you don't ever want to experience what did the other day!

i am going 2 have mine removed on the 4th of january 2011.my son had histaken out whenhe was 5.i know that adults is different from kids.i have heard some bad things about the pain in adults.my biggest problem is having sore throat every two months.my dr. say mine are as big as golf balls and it is best to get them out.my wife is hoping itwill kill the snoring @ night.it is something that i will be glad when it is over.