Are there any?

For me it's guns, swords and power rangers. We have super soakers, but we call them super soakers, and only play with them when it is hot out and they have water in them. They're put away for the year now. I don't care for swords because invariably kids end up hurting one another, and it's easy enough to cause pain with throwing a toy or hitting or whatever. Figure we don't need another toy that can do that.

Power Rangers though, I've never really watched. I remember Libby's preschool saying that it was violent, and the kids ended up trying to karate chop & etc. to other kids. So I never went there. Will wants them now, but I've still never gotten him any. MIL sent a halloween pkg to the kids, and a PW was in it. Will won't get it.

But then I do let him play with Bionicles, and I guess they're violent. :shrug: I guess I'm weird like that.

We didn't have MMPR when I was a kid and I still tried to karate chop my friends.

the "Bag-O-Shards" Dan Akroyd sold on that SNL skit a long time ago.

I never allowed my son to have drums. Sanity, mainly.

I have no problem with my son playing with toy guns. Boys love playing cops and robbers and cowboys and indians.

I didn't let Colin watch Power Rangers, either. I didn't let him watch a lot of tv.

Mrs TB is against guns. Kids will make guns out of anything; but, its not worth arguing about it. Kids have been in karate for 2 years so they know and respect a sword and other hand weapons (most of the time)

i didn't get to watch wrestling or play with GI joes.

of course i still made lego guns and stuff, but i mean when i played with the lego dudes i wasn't shooting them up or anything.

i guess maybe more productive games, maybe if i *created* the guns it was better for me then simply just running around shooting things.

then again i did play with ninja turtles... i don't completely understand it but i think it's up there with "no tv before school, no tv until your homework is done, and only after dinner"

everything in moderation. oh as for power rangers i watched that alot but we were too old to karate chop each other. the little kids did though. :wink:

When I was a kid we all had our own .22 rifles by the time we were ten and as soon as our parents felt we were safe with them we went target shooting when we felt like it. Nobody panicked when we were seen walking down the main street in town carrying them and going into the hardware store to buy ammo. We weren't dumb enough to think you could shoot someone and they would get back up to play again.

When my kids were that age the local rec. department had a BB-gun safety course which I sent them to. Then I got them BB guns. That lasted about a month before I took those away when we found they were shooting at each other. They never got any rifles and I got a gun safe for my guns. My father never needed one for his guns, I surely was not going to take them and shoot anyone.

Somehow there seemed to be a disconnect in what society or our schools teach for responsibility or values shortly after I went through the growing up process. Maybe we should thank Madeline Murray O'Hare. Kids don't listen to their parents anyway so it wasn't particularly my parents who taught me how to be safe with guns it was the grown-ups all around me.

I'll chime in on the guns thing. We don't allow the toy ones and by limiting what they view on the tube or theater, my boys don't include "shooting" in their play. From what they might have caught on war footage and explaining to them about veterans/soldiers or when we talk about neighbors going hunting, that's what they view guns as being for.

It's really quite funny when they once saw two cousins play like they shot each other and one of my boys turns to me, "Whaaat is he doing?" like the cousin had lost his mind. Made me feel like I was doing the right thing.

My parents let me have toy guns (and BB guns and a pellet gun when I got older) and I've never shot anyone. :shrug:

What? You didn't shoot your eye out?

When I was a kid my brother and I had toy guns, but we weren't allowed to point them at one another. :?

I don't remember having restrictions on toys (except that we didn't have enough money to spoil me with the latest and greatest), and i turned out fine. I do remember karate chopping each other long before Power Rangers were on tv....i'll blame The Karate Kid. One thing my mom didn't let me do was wrestle my friends out on the lawn. I wasn't happy about it then, but thinking back, it was the best idea. Someone would have eventually gotten hurt, and we didn't need to grow up doing what could have turned into Backyard Wrestling (something which, as a wrestling fan, i am very much against).