With the early darkness of daylight savings upon us, which do you prefer for weekday winter workouts? (I work 8-5 weekdays, so I miss the daylight hours.)

I went to the gym yesterday and found that I easily became incredibly bored running on the treadmill. I barely lasted a few minutes! Instead, I opted to run the indoor track (12.5 times around equals a mile) where at least I generated a slight breeze and had a little changing 'scenery'. Hehe! Which do you find easier to do? What are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

I just started running last May, so this is my first attempt at keeping a winter running schedule. (On weekends, I do run outside.)

Take something to listen to on the treadmill. Our Y provides little TVs for each treadmill but I find them way too hard to watch at anything more than a walking pace. Music keeps me going to the treadmill. I don't think our Y offers an indoor track so I can't give you an opinion for that.

Can you run through low traffic neighborhoods in the dark? I don some of my running in the dark and I think that if you take enough precautions to be seen that you're pretty safe.

I've got a treadmill at home. Sometimes I do get bored but I play little games to keep it interesting. I turn on the radio and everytime a new song comes on I turn up the speed a notch. I keep going up until I can't keep up anymore and I return to my starting speed for a song and repeat. Silly stuff like that keeps my mind off the boredom and isn't a bad workout. Oh yeah anytime I hear those retarded weight loss commercials I automatically have to up the speed. :P

My treadmill at home is used strictly as a clothes rack to hang my sweaty running clothes on. We've got plenty of "runner friendly" streets in my area, with lots of street lights. The local high school track also has auxillary lighting that stays on til 10pm. If the indoor track and treadmill bore you to much, take it outside in the dark, just be a little more careful and run on streets you are familiar with to avoid potholes.

Although the 'dreadmill' can be unbearably boring, it's probably safer for you than that indoor track. Twelve and a half times around for one mile means you're probably leaning to one side, putting more pressure on the inside foot, etc.
Like everyone else said, listen to music. Bring a CD or MP3 player that has your favorite tunes. And you can also watch the 'scenery' go past. :wink:
Most streets are fairly safe early in the morning. I know, it's no fun to get up in the dark and cold (?) and go running, but it can be so peaceful. If you do go out in the dark, whether in the morning or night, just make sure you have reflective stuff on so you don't get hit. A vest or those blinking lights work SO much better than just the stuff on your running shoes.

If you choose to run in the dark, make sure drivers can see you. I bought a reflective vest that works great, except sometimes it freaks out oncoming traffic. The drivers feel the need to use their brights to see exactly what that strange creature is moving toward them in the night. I'm in turn blinded.

Shelly

I bought a reflective vest that works great, except sometimes it freaks out oncoming traffic. The drivers feel the need to use their brights to see exactly what that strange creature is moving toward them in the night. I'm in turn blinded. Shelly
I get that same problem. :roll:

i would lose count of that many laps but would like that better

i would use a lap timer that i use for counting laps in the pool

it sits on the finger and also counts time
very helpful because i always forgot what lap i was on

As has been mentioned, I find the indoor track to be really tough on the toes with all the cornering. Your track sounds a little better than the one I have access to (22 laps/mile), but even still, I'd be more apt to choose the treadmill. I also think pace has alot to do with it. Faster running on an indoor track gets simply dizzying and problematic with other bodies circling around.

If you work 8-5 do you get a lunch hour? During the winter, that's where I find my best running. It's the sunniest and warmest part of the day at noontime. If you start being nosey, many building have a shower tucked in some corner you could use or even just do the infamous "purplehayes spongedown" :wink:

Given the option of indoor track or treadmill, I would probably do the mill. Track would be too much running in the same direction, and it would not be that good mechanically for me.

You have me thinking now... I never considered running at lunchtime, but that would be perfect. My building doesn't have a shower of any kind, though I live 5 min. drive from my workplace. I could always run in the neighborhood and 'clean up' at home. One question... if you're running during your lunchtime, when do you actually eat lunch? Some days I could eat something later at my desk, but other days, I'm all over the office, so it wouldn't work out very well. Would you just eat a Powerbar or 2 and call that 'lunch'? Not sure I could do that...

I run at lunch 4 days a week. Here's how I handle it:: 1) Change clothes. 2) Head out the door and start running. 3) 45 minutes later or so, stop running and stretch for obligatory 8 minutes. 4) Come back in the office and get my lunch together while I cool down. 5) Ditch running clotes and sponge down* then get back into regular running clothes. 6) Eat lunch at my desk. * Sponge = Baby wipes that are soaked in rubbing alcohol. Works pretty well + I keep a stick of deodorant in my desk. No one has complained yet. ;)

You don't feel sticky and clammy for the rest of the day? When I run in the middle of the day even though I do Item #5 I feel awful and can't think about anything but going home and getting in the shower. Also, maybe it's the wipes; what brand do you use, and how do you introduce the alcohol?

You don't feel sticky and clammy for the rest of the day? When I run in the middle of the day even though I do Item #5 I feel awful and can't think about anything but going home and getting in the shower. Nope, not even on the hottest days in Hotlanta. Also, maybe it's the wipes; what brand do you use, and how do you introduce the alcohol?
I use some no-name brand. I keep them in a zip-lock baggie and dump some additional running alcohol in there for extra moisture. I tried scotch at first, but the boss kept giving me fubby looks. ;)