I was in a hot tub at a friends house twice this last month. I had never been in it before. Prior to, I had shaved my penis and scrotum smooth. Well, now I have these pimple-like bumps over my scrotum and inner thighs. I did a ton of research on the internet and found that hot tub folliculitis, cased by the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a prime suspect. I visited my doctor, told him about shaving but forgot to mention about being in a hot tub. He prescribed me Eyrithomycin. I've been on it for 7 days now have not seen improvement. After further research, I discovered that the bacteria caused by "hot tub folliculitis" (Pseudomonas aeruginosa) is actually a different strain of bacteria from standard folliculitis.

Thus my question is, is Eyrithromycin an effective treatment against Pseudomonas aeruginosa? I've read that it in fact contains no antimicrobial agent against it. Can anyone confirm this? It would really put my mind to ease if this is the case. Can my doctor prescribe me an alternative antibiotic?

Thanks.

I think that Erythromicyn is used for another type of bacteria. I wasn’t given any drug because my dermatologist said that the bacteria is usually resistant to both oral antibiotics and topical creams and that infection goes away on its own.

It did go away after a week but during that time I felt extremely ill. I knew it had to be bacteria because there was nothing else. I got it when I used to take my son to his swimming classes and I used to swim and sit in the sauna during their practice. Apparently, it is where I got it from.

I developed rash all over my trunk and on certain areas on legs.
Later I learned that vinegar compressors could be applied a couple of times a day but I don’t know if that’s only an old wife story.

Only in severe cases, doctors prescribe ciprofloxacin.

I had never been in a hot tub or a pool and developed the same type of skin rash. My doc diagnosed me with pseudomonas folliculitis. I have had the same rash re-occurring on the trunk of my body for over 6 months now and they prescribed Cipro. Within days, the spots have dried up and it's now been 2 weeks with no rash. I would strongly advise having a biopsy or a culture done - that's how they found out what I had.

Cipro is the only oral antibiotic that responds to pseudomonas folliculitis and has worked well for me.

Having a Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections is every doctor's nightmare! >;) Most anti-biotics are resistant! I am not sure if there is a proven herbal or natural theraphy...like fennel seed oil extract, olive oil, and garlic. We need more scientific research to prove these herbs work! What you can do is have faith and prayer! lol

As An indiviaual who has had Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections in her lungs 5 times this year, I can tell you that Cipro and Tobi are the two meds thay they specialist will prescribe. I have used both inhaled and I V medications. The Pseudomonas infection is very hard to get rid of, it just hides and then months later returns again, anyone else having this problem?

I had a Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and had to be admitted to hospital for I.V antibiotics Gentamicin with amoxiclav as a dual treatment which is better than mono antibiotic. it is resistant to most oral treatments, but I was put on cipro for 5 days after the I.V course.

This was the third time i had been infected this year although Pseudomonas aeruginosa was not identified in the first two. I was given a broad spectrum anti biotic Trimethoprim this didnt completely cure my infection. I belive between the first & second infection the bacteria had proved restistant to this antibiotic

I stated taking wild oregano oil by vapour & by drops orally. the infection didnt return whist I was on the wild oregano oil until I ran out and the Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection appeared after 5 days. hence hospital treatment.

symtoms were cold shivers followed by a fever with a 39.2 temprature.

I have PA in my lungs too - I'd love to talk to you

i dont think erythromycin would be much help against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Gram negative), since erythromycin is more often or mainly used to combat Gram positive bacteria. Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a bacteria which known to very drug resistant. multi-drug resistance of this organism may be caused by using wrong drugs, so you should be careful in choosing the drugs you use. commonly used antibacterial agents against Pseudomonas aeruginosa includes piperacillin, ticarcillin, ceftazidime, ciprofloxacin, and aztreonam. if those agents dont work, then you need much more powerful antibacterial agents such as cefepime, imipenem, and meropenem. you should be careful in choosing which drug you should use since most of them have side effects which could be dangerous to you as well, its better to consult with your physician first just to be sure.

Azithromyacin is not used "Against" Pseudomonas, it's used in treatment to prevent mucous from sticking to the lungs. I take 250mg three times a week. Given to me by a Cystic Fibrosis Dr. People with CF get this infection often. I do not have CF myself but, the treatment is the same in regard to Pseudomonas that I have in my lungs.