New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

Hi --

For the last six months or so I have had uncomfortable pressure under my left rib cage. When I first noticed it I was sick with the flu and my husband made me go to the doctor. They did an MRI and ruled out any problems with my spleen, etc. It seemed to go away after that, but lately I have been noticing it again. I feel it when I am lying down and sitting down. I try to stretch or move into a more comfortable position but it just won't go away. Not painful exactly, just a dull ache and pressure. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Penny

I've never heard this before - have you had this happen to you and that's how you know the cause? It's an interesting idea but doesn't really apply to me as I make it to the gym 5-6 times a week and exercise aerobically for 40-70 minutes each time.

PENNY...I HAVEA SIMILAR PROBLEM AND CAN FIND NO DIAGNOSIS.  HAVE YOU MADE ANY PROGRESS?

LINDA

That's funny.  I have the same feeling.  I went to my dr today and I am going for the test (not sure of the name) and having a scope put down into my stomach.  He said it could be an ulcer.  He gave me medication.  He said it could be possible inflammation of the intestine, bowel.  Anyway, I have a consultation next week and will be scheduling the test.  If you'd like, you can send me a reminder and I will let you know the results.

I have had this same discomfort for 7 months. My doctor was going to order several test, but I got pregnant and could no longer take the test. It went away for a short time but has now returned :( i am 5.5 months pregnant so still can't do any test, and my midwives always just chalk it up to pregnancy. Has anyone found any answers yet? It sometimes ( like now) just feels like i have a balled up fist stuck under my right ribs. not sharp pain, but just pressure....and stretching/exercise does not help, sometimes moving makes it worse. 

I also have been having the same issue since January of this year. I have been told in the beginning that it is a pulled muscle, then I had a gastroscopy, colonoscopy, and everything came back normal. Dr Says this can be caused by anxiety, but lately I found that I have been calm, but the annoyance of this still subsides. I find that it feels worse if Im gassy.

Archers12 wrote:

Please have them do more test, I had the same problem for 8 months and after several tests, MRI, X-Rays, blood work, they found a tumor growing in my rib cage. I had a rib removed and radiation so the cancer does not grow. Sometimes it can be missed because it can be hidden in between the ribs. It is quite uncomfortable and can sometimes be a little painful if you move suddenly, mostly just pressure and acheing.

Hello, how did you discover the tumor? could you see it in plain sight? or was it via xray or ultrasound, or ct scan??
I have the same feeling, it does not hurt, it is just a pressure like feeling all over the left chest....I do see a type of mass, don't know what this is, but it's like something on top of my rib in the left side. It does not show in xrays, and I had a ct scan that did not show it either...should I do more tests?

yes have had this problem also and had xrays etc and they said it was a muscle but I am not convinced? Hope you have found out what the problem is since it has been four years since your post. Best of luck to you. I have the problem now again. Thanks

Wow I can't believe so many people have the same problem I have been feeling discomfort not pain

also under left ribcage did and ultrasound all they said was I had a fatty liver but I am going to dr. on thursday it

is annoying especially when I sit and it is not being a couch potato because I work out three times a week.  trying

to loose weight.  Im thinking spleen or an intestinal problem someone told me to fast for a day and maybe clean it out

I will post when I got to dr. thank you

I have had the same problem for 10 + years.  I have had every test in the book done to try and find the source.  Everything comes back negative.  It is very uncomfortable especially while driving.  Sitting straight up seems to aggravate it the worst.  It is rather stressful knowing that they can't find the problem and that I will probably have to live with this problem.

Though it is rare, if you have elevated blood counts, such as platelets, it can be related to (MPD) myeloproliferative disease/disorder.  I just found out that it is one of the symptoms.  I was having pain when I turned over in my back left rib.  Now, I have more of a constant pressure.  There are many other reasons for this discomfort.

I've been having a lot of lower back pain and neck pain just recently I've been feeling something in left rib cage when I lay down it feels like I'm laying on something I first noticed the discomfort when I was playing around with my kids and suddenly a sharp pain in my rib area felt like I cracked a rib doesn't hurt much since but still uncomfortable when I move or lay certain ways

I'd had the same problem for years.  It's pressure under the bottom left rib.  It's a little better if I sit up straight or lean back.  It often seems connected to my back.  If I lay on my back with a small object in the middle, just left of the spine, it makes it feel better but then starts to cause a sharp pain.  Sometimes popping my mid back seems to make the pressure go away briefly.  It's been getting worse lately.

I know this seems to simple, but I've had the same trouble & went to the chiropractor & found my ribs were out of place. No idea why, I wasn't in an accident or hurt in anyway, but a painless adjustment was all it took & I had instant relief. I do go back once a month or as needed.