Hello!
I have a question. Can person wear underwear during surgery?
Thank on reply!

No. maybe this depends on the type of surgery, but as far as I am familiar, no, you can not. I had a laparoscopic surgery of ovary, so in my case it was necessary to be without underwear, also my friend had a surgery where they removed her vain on the leg, and she was also not wearing any underwear. Both these surgeries were connected to lower part of the body, so this is why we both were not wearing underwear, perhaps surgeries connected to upper parts do not demand that.

No. People can not wear any clothes expect for the hospital gown when having surgery. This is so because if something were to go suddenly wrong they will need total access to every part of your body and can not watse time removing a part of your clothes.

I had knee surgery and I kept my underwear on. The nurse said to double check with the doctor to see if it was okay, but I didn't bother asking. If the surgery is unrelated to your underwear region, I don't see why the underwear would have to be off.

You can not wear underwear in case there is an emergancy or if you are under general anesthesia. This is so that the surgical team can place a catheter for your bladder during the surgery. This procedure can be painful while you are concious, so they do it while you are under.

yes you can wear underware if they do not need access to that part. i just had surgery for bbc on my nose was under for 3 hrs i got to keep my underware on

what if you are having throat surgery? do you get to keep them on?

i had an operation on my arm twice and had tounsils removed and had to remove underwear everytime and they definately didnt need that part so yes i think everyone should take underwear off

i just had gall bladder surgery this past week and i kept my panties on lol... they didnt say take them off so i didnt... they just told me to put the gown on

It depends on where you have the surgery. I you go to a hospital, you'll probably need to remove them. Try to find an outpatient clinic, the rule a much different there and it's more relaxing. I've had to shoulder surgeries and two knees surgeries, underwear on the whole time with GA.

I have had several surgeries on my foot and i always wear my underwear...

usually i wake up without them, but i still wear them just because i feel awkward without them...

The nurse usually inserts a foley catheter while you are under to empty your bladder so they have to remove your underwear, but dont worry you get them back.

I also thinks its for safety/infection precautions

like they also make me take off my plastic bracelets because of bacteria that may be on them since it is a COMPLETELY sterile field

I refuse to wear any clothes that are mine while being operated on, including underwear. I had surgery once with underwear on and when i woken from anesthesia they were ripped. They were a new pair too.

I'll be honest, I would want to keep not only my underwear on, but I'd ask to keep my jeans on as well. I read several articles today about female patients that are under anesthesia receive non-consensual Pap smears by med students! I thought this was terrifying! Thank goodness the only surgery I had was when I was 13 and not old enough to receive a Pap test I just hope the doctors weren't stupid enough to let it happen! *shudders* Go ahead and call me a scaredy cat, but I would prefer that my personal space NOT be violated in any way! I am a victim of sexual assault and if doctors cannot respect my wishes, they will be slapped with a lawsuit. I would even go as far as to have my mom or someone I trust be allowed to stay in the room or be able to look in the window while I had surgery.

Anyways, yes, you should be allowed to keep your underwear on, especially if you are uncomfortable with taking it off. Unless you are going in for surgery regarding your "nether regions" then keeping them on should be no problem. If you feel uncomfortable, tell the doctor ahead of time to get medical team members of the same sex or opposite sex if you prefer ahead of time. Be sure to let the doctor know if you have anxiety disorder, or post traumatic stress disorder so that they can make accommodations. It also helps to tell the doctor ahead of time that you do NOT want a bunch of med students looking at you and participating in any activities without your consent! And make sure to read the fine print before you sign all the papers! They could sneak around and say that the papers you signed allowed for med students to be present. So make sure you CLEARLY state that you do not wish for them to be present! If a hospital tries to say you have no choice in the matter, then leave and go to a better facility that is capable of meeting your needs. Also, if you so wish, you should be able to have a legal guardian in the room or just outside the room observing everything. Clearly let your guardian know what you expect to happen and what you don't want happening, and they can make sure the doctors respect your wishes. If you suspect that the doctors have not respected your wishes, you should be able to make them prove that they respected your wishes. I.E. gather witnesses, surveillance cam information, etc.

I hope this information is at least somewhat useful. And I don't care if you want to say c**p about my preferences because they are MY PERSONAL preferences and I will not change my views or opinions just because someone thinks I'm overreacting or because someone thinks I'm being a wimp. I have my opinions for a reason.

I agree and have done the same thing... The only thing the surgical nurse said was " I hope those are 100% cotton and they were. I had washed them with bleach the night before and dried them and put them in a zip-lock bag. I also had knee surgery...

I had shoulder surgery two years ago (I am a 50 year old man, was 48 at the time).  When I changed into the gown, the nurse came up behind me and tried to open it to check, then said that I needed to remove my shorts.  I told her it wasn't going to happen and got up on the gurney.  She was a bit huffy but I went to surgery with them on.  I do know that when I was in the pre-op area being prepped I heard one of them saying to the doctor "there's one other thing here we need to take care of" but when I woke up my shorts were still on.  It probably helped that I'd gotten to be friends with the surgeon and he knew how I felt about being exposed. 

Now I may have to have surgery on my foot and if so I'm going to insist on keeping them on and I also will be putting on the consent form an additional statement that foley catheters are not consented to unless there is an emergency.