Sorry about the long post but this is a long story and I'm hoping someone can help. About 3 months ago I returned from a short holiday in Egypt with what my doctor attributed to a stomach virus. It lasted for about 2 weeks and obviously I was quite relieved once it subsided but I have not felt right since. I started to feel like my food wasn't going down properly and it would sit at the top of stomach. This got worse and was accompanied by a general feeling of malaise - tiredness, dizziness, palpitations, insomnia, headaches and an inability to focus. I would also suffer from the sudden onset of anxiety and panic for no apparent reason and would go extremely tense and be unable to relax for several hours. It was on one such occassion that I ended up in A&E as I felt so unwell. I had high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat but once they had ruled out pancreatitis and gallstones as the cause of my abdominal pain they sent me home with "indigestion."
I saw my doctor afterwards who tested my blood for numerous things including hormones, anaemia, thyroid and H Pylori which all came back negative. It was then suggested my original virus may have irritated my stomach and i was prescribed omeprazole which helped a little but not entirely. However, I am still left with pains in my stomach (just below my ribcage) which are there constantly but worsen after eating. I am constantly bloated, even in the mornings and since finishing the course of omeprazole symptoms have worsened once more and I now have acid reflux and a sensation of something being stuck in my throat all the time. I have just started with vague nausea and headaches too and am now utterly miserable. Bowels seem ok, little irregular with quite loose movements (which float but have attributed this to the excess air that is constantly present in my stomach), but no bleeding or anything drastic.
I do have a tendency towards stress and anxiety and wondered if the orginal stomach issues have set off the other symptoms which seem more unrelated as I am constantly worrying about it - my doctor has prescribed very mild antidepressants which I thought helped a little until I started with this nausea. I also feel very dehydrated all the time - dry skin and sore throat but I am drinking plenty of water and eating fairly well even though I seem to get full a lot more quickly.
Either way I am certain of an underlying problem with my stomach as I have never experienced anything like this before - never even had indigestion or panic attacks or anything which would imply some of these symptoms. I am 23, female and essentially healthy - don't smoke, drink in moderation and am a healthy weight.
I am due an upper abdominal ultrasound this weekend (which I have waited a month for and my doctor says probably won't show anything anyway) but have no other tests planned at this time. I just don't know what to do at the moment, I feel like I am back and forth to the doctor constantly which is affecting my studies and my social life. The only thing which seems to help is omeprazole as I have noticed the symptoms worsening again now I've run out but I am not enjoying the prospect of a lifetime prescription to something like that as it obviously doesn't solve the underlying problem and I am still quite young.
The only other thought I had was having developed an intolerance to some foods but I don't even know where to start testing that theory. I attmepted giving up dairy for a while but that didn't seem to help.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be or has experienced anything similar following a virus? I'm going through cycles of feeling better and then terrible again but the constant factor always seems to be the aches in my upper abdominal region. Please help!

OMG, you have just decribed the last 7 years of constant misery. I have all of these. I have had all of the tests etc. I had my gallbladder out in 2001. I take anti nausea drugs which help.

This might sound funny but I find that if My pillow is too low nothing seems to drain. So I feel like something is always stuck sitting at the very top of my stomach. So by raising my head a bit more it seems to help. I do have headaches for a few days and a stiff neck but it does help the stomach. The doctors all think it is in my head.

I also find a trip to osteo or chiropractor helps. I am off to a surgeon in the next few weeks to discuss them going in and having a look around.

Perhaps have a talk to a chiropractor. But you are not alone and you have made me feel better just knowing that there is someone else out there that is going through what I am going through. I will keep a look out and see how you are getting on.

If you're worried about food intolerance, I would advise checking for celiac disease (an intolerance to gluten). This can occur at any time in your life, and I've read that a serious virus may also trigger it (if you have the gene for it). Many doctors don't seem to know much about it, and therefore won't think of it as a possiblity, so it's best to see a specialist. I had serious abdominal problems for years, and I went from doctor to doctor, but none of them figured it out. I finally realized, through reading the internet, that that was what I had, and the gluten free diet has cured me of all my problems. You can also be tested for other allergies.

What concerns me is that it sounds like your doctor may not be taking you seriously enough. Beware of this; when the doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with me, they started saying it was "psychological", or due to stress. It may be a good idea to get another opinion. I wish you luck, and hope that, whatever it is, you can find a solution.

My 13 year old son has had a constant sore stomach just under the rib cage. It worsens significantly with food or water or anything for that matter. 6 weeks now.
Runs a bit hot and cold from time to time, looks a bit pale, runs out of energy as the day goes on. Doctors cannot diagnose this.
Been to ED and now under pediatric care but still no answers.
He is on omeprazole but it doesnt seem to help.
CRP is perfect.
Can anyone help with a lead on this.

My mom had this problem and someone told her to eat watermelon. She did and didn't have to have the balloon sugery where they inflate a balloon to open up the blockage. It was a total miracle. Also google, steven H horne and read about his hiatal hernia (which my mom had) and drink the tea and do the drop down. This really really helped my mom alot. I found all this when my daughter was having terrible health as the result of a hernia. God bless you. Keep me posted. hjhmomatyahoodotcom

You've pretty much described my life at the moment. Did you ever find out what it was? I've had an ultrasound and it came back normal. Going for an endoscopy but that's more than a month away.

Hi, did you get any improvement at all? I am really struggling with the same issue and hoping you may have some ideas for me! Thanks, Tom