About 10 to 14 days after the first day of my period I begin to suffer from severe vaginal itching, redness and dryness and my labia swells slightly. I also experience pain upon urination. These syptoms worsen during and after sex and they last for about 2 weeks until my next period begins. Then during menstration the symptoms significantly diminish.

These symptoms have been going on for over a year and I've had two pap-smeres and a urine analysis and all the tests have been negative. I started using perfume free/dye free detergents when washing my underwear and my husband and I are both use hypoallergenic, mild soaps. I also duche with vinager and water and I use vitamin E oil on my labia. But my symptoms still persist.

It is worth noting that I have had vaginal bacterial infections in the past but not now.

Please help! I have only been married for a year and my husband and I are emotionally desperate to have pain free sex.

P.S. my husband doesn't have any penile discomfort or abnormalities

I have had similar symtoms for about a year and a half now. I am married also and I have been tested for STD's. Have you been to a gyno. I am frustrated becasue this problem is starting to affect my sex life. Because of the irration, I usually only have sex with my husband immediatilely after menstration and up to a 1 week to 10 day after that. My symtoms also get worse the week before mentration.

i am experiencing the exact same thing you are. i go through it ever month and my doctors cant find anything truly wrong with me and dont know how to fix it. i dont know what to do because it is destroying my sex life. i have been on several antibacterials that seem to work until i finish taking the 2 week dosage i was prescribed, then i have a peroid and it starts all over again. i keep thinking its something bacterial but they cant figure it out. If anyone please has any insight into how i can cure this, i beg you to respond...

I had suffered the same things you ladies have. All the tests in the world with my doctors added up to nothing, until my Dr. figured out that I had a hormonal inbalance. He basically explained that for some reason my body and/or hormones were going nuts causing me to have Vaginosis. This infection can last forever. So, he first treated my Vaginosis, told me to eat yogurt (which helps with the balancing of yeast in the vagina), and continue the treatment with Vagisil or Monistat. After the treatment was over he told me that I needed to get on birh control for a few months to balance out my hormones. After a year and about 6 months I got better. That was 4 years ago. These symptoms can recurr, like it is now, but now I know how to deal with it. I hope this has helped.

that's very interesting, but monistat is for yeast infections, so i don't understand how that would help vaginosis.

i forgot to mention though that i'm taking hornones for fertility treatments, and the problem was particularly bad this month. so that would support a lot of what you say.

i have the same problem. i have a theory that my ovulatory discharge is irritating my vaginal skin. i don't know if that's b/c the discharge is particularly irritating for some reason or b/c my skin is particularly sensitive. well, i DO know that my skin is particularly sensitive, actually. i've had a lot of trouble in the past with vaginal pain and sometimes infections. you can google "vulvodynia" for more info that might help you. but i haven't found much about irritation mid-cycle in particular. i'd love any info anyone finds.

well the problems that yall have talked about sounds simular. but, i have different symptoms as well as those,,... not only am i irrated and i swell up and sex is painful, it makes me not want to anymore. Also, i have really bad (mens..cycles) but i get a redness through out the day and a thick discharge yet, i have had this problem for 3 years and i go to my (Dr.) every 6 months depending if i can take the pain, i go sooner. I have been checked and im clear of everything. they say im good to go theres nothing wrong yet to me this is not normal, it started when i had my goul blatter removed and my periods became unnormal and hard to bare i dont know what went wrong, im not sure why i have the discharge i do, its white and yet normal but not to me, i get a servere redness, itching, and irration throughout the day, and during or in the middle of sex it becomes painful and i swell up. if anybody can tell me what my problem is i would be more then happy b/c i have tryed for years and i feel like such in outcast. i would like to know if this is normal or anything else thank you for your time.. sorry this is so long im very concern

meemee

Google "Cytolytic Vaginosis." It's an overgrowth of lactobacilli--the normal vaginal flora. When it overgrows, it makes the vagina very acidic, which is irritating and causes all the symptoms mentioned. It's very often misdiagnosed as a yeast infection. One of the hallmarks of CV is that symptoms start at or after ovulation and progressively worsen until the start of your period. When your period starts, the alkaline nature of the blood changes the pH of the vagina and gives you some relief, until the next time you ovulate, and it starts all over again.

Treatment is actually very simple. Baking soda douche every other day for one week, then baking soda sitz baths 1-3 x a week for symptom prevention. No tampons until you are symptom free for at least six months. It can take several cycles to go away completely, but there's usually a big difference after the first baking soda treatments.

I know. I have it, and after THREE long years of being misdiagnosed with yeast, being constantly itchy, burny and irritated, and having my sex life come to a standstill, I was finally diagnosed properly.

Good luck to everyone!!

I have the same problem and it start one week before my period.

I have talked to some of my girlfriends and one of them said that it might be yeast infection. She said that I should try using plain yoghurt (unsweeten of course) to wash my virginal. She said she heard it from a friend and it work for her but I still have not tried it yet as my husband always buy flavour yoghurt.

I find it very hard to talk to him as he always tell me to see a doctor but it is very hard for me to talk to a doctor about this.

If someone try the above method and it worked. Please let me know.

how about changing your DIET????? Try eating more fruits and vegetables and have lots ot Citrus, ex: fresh lemonades..orange juice, etc

I have experienced similar pain for many years. It always occurs during ovulation but is not necessarily related to intercourse. I too have been tested for numerous causes with no results. So each month I deal with the pain. I receive some comfort from Urelle, Alka-Selzer and I have recently used Bactine externally with very good results. I think it just numbs everything so urinating is not painful and I can relax which seems to help the "healing" process. If anyone comes up with any information as to what we could be experiencing please pass it on!! Good luck to all!

I don't know girls but just about this week I started having ichyness on the tip of my clitoris. I have stop having sex because if it is an infection that I have .. I don't want to pass it on.. I also went to see a doctor .. Obviously she asked . about how long was my cycle it seemed that because of whatever infection I have there was a clog of my last period... now I just cant wait for the results to come in...

Good Luck & Wish Me Luck!!!

So it usually happens when I start ovulating. I was thinking that it was due to the weather being hot, and not enough air circulating down there, and me ovulating. Sometimes its allright and sometimes OMG I can't stand it. This itching only started recently and I am a 32 year old woman. I don't know what to do. But I am going to trim up and see if that relives anything. What is this thing called? and how can I fix it. Its almost so bad... that I think I am going crazy. I do have a clean bill of health and no funky stuff is going on. No pain during intercorse. So what's up?

Everyone!
I have been having all the same symptoms as you.
I wanted to share with you that it's a great possibility that it's our birth control pills causing these annoying symptoms!!!
When you take the pill, whichever one it is, it creates a chemical imbalanced in your vagina area. A chemical imbalance is what causes yeast infections. It's abnormal growth of the yeast.
Not all pills are the same for everyone. I have an appointment to change my pill this week!
my symptoms are, I am itchy and swollen, it can be painful to have sex. They come as early as two weeks before my next period, and disappear during my "girly week". I started using Tampons, and frequently ones that are scented. I want to discontinue use of those too.
I'll update you again! :-)
Good luck guys.

Hello All,

There are a lot of different perspectives and diagnostic recommendations for this problem. I do have it too and reading everyone's experience is helping me better understand the situation if indeed it is the right one. Doctors now a days don't do much when it comes to knowing their patients' problems and its all a routine to them. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has actually taken anybody else's advice that they read on here that has actually helped them and work for them ...I would like to know which one and the specifics...thank you ladis..