Hi, I'm a 20 year old girl and have always had a chest bone that sticks out quite far, but have tried to hide it. It is really affecting my life and self confidence, so I have tried to find possible reasons for it. I have read about Marfan's syndrome and it seems to be a possibility as I am tall(6ft) and have a thin frame with long limbs. However pictures I have seen have shown the chest bone sticking out in the lower chest area, wheres mine protrudes in the upper chest area along with my collar bones. Could this still be Marfan's?

Yes, it is quite possible you have Marfan's Syndrome. I would suggest you see a Rheumatologist that is familiar with it.

I believe both of my kids have the syndrome, and they both have what you describe with the chest bone. It is called Pectus Carinatum, and it can affect the sternum at any angle.

Both of my kids have a brace, and it has helped tremedously with correcting the deformity.

Best wishes to you,
Kathy

i hope u both find studies in your areas where doctors can verify marpfan..wife was diagnosed with it and had to have open heart surgery in her 30s due to the anurysm that comes alot with it....shes tal and long fingers and toes and very flexible at wrists....she also has bone at top of breast so it sinks inward right below it....gl to u all...also im told horrible eye sight which she has is another characteristic

My chest bone also sticks out, with nothing protecting my heart, there is another syndrome called Polom or Polum, don't remember to well, I have had it since birth and unlike most..I never cared to much, no one cared or laughed about it, anyway, I don't know about Marfans syndrome but if you find anything related to 'Polum' syndrom or spelled of the sort, look into it, that could also be a possibility.