New Reply New Topic Followed by 39 people

I've been sick for over a month with what my doctor says is a virus that is going around at the moment. It's frustrating because just when I think it's gone away and I start to feel normal for a few days, it comes back and I start feeling sick all over again. At first, I thought it was the flu because I had typical flu symptoms like sore throat and a high temperature so I did all the things that you're supposed to do to get rid of the flu - gargling, drinking plenty of fluids, cold and flu tablets, resting at home. Then, after a week I started to have stomach pains and diahorrea as well. I went to see the doctor after that and he told me to avoid eating dairy products and fruit and keep to a simple diet which I did for a couple weeks. I haven't had any diahorrea for a couple of weeks now but the stomach trouble has persisted on and off. The symptoms I have now include sore throat, a slight temperature (which goes up and down), dizziness, discomfort in the stomach (mostly a sensation of a lot of gas in my stomach), nausea and lack of appetite and since yesterday, back pain (although I don't know if this is related to my illness). These symptoms are not present all the time; they vary throughout the day but basically, I'm feeling unwell a lot of the time and after over a month it doesn't seem to be getting any better. :-(

My doctor says that some of his patients who have this virus have taken up to 6 months before they fully recover and that there's basically nothing I can take for it, antibiotics won't help at all and I'll just have to wait until it eventually goes away, which was quite disheartening. I realize that this is only a minor complaint in comparison to some of the more serious health problems that people have to suffer as I'm not bed ridden and am still able to get about but I would really appreciate any advice or any alternative suggestions on how to treat this problem or even what exactly it is that I have. Has anyone else here experienced something similar to this? I welcome all suggestions.
Thanks

I think I know what is going on over there as I have been through the same some time ago, starting with just these flu-like symptoms which switched to something else. I ended up being diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which symptoms are so mild that you would never think of seeing a doctor about them. But on the other hand, there could be some troublesome symptoms, like the ones you have, and these are bloating, diarrhea, abdominal cramps (which you might think are similar with menstrual cramps) etc.
You also might have a feeling that you need another bowel movement after you have already had one, like the bowels haven’t completely emptied. Have you had these problems?
The other symptoms include excess wind, nausea, vomiting, indigestion etc.
Your doctor should have concluded that what you have could be the IBS, according to your symptoms, maybe you should go back there and ask him to send you to examinations, one of the tests is sigmoidescopy, this is not painful but could be uncomfortable procedure.

Thanks for the reply. I went to see another doctor about a week ago for a second opinion and he referred me to pathology for some blood and urine tests to determine if there was some serious underlying problem. Everything was normal according to the blood tests but the result of the urine test was inconclusive so I have to take one again. The second doctor also thought that what I have is viral like the other doctor; he didn't mention irritable bowel syndrome. I have had some stomach cramping and the I still have the other symptoms but no bowel problems or vomiting. The doctor says that there's nothing I can take for it except Panadol if I have a temperature and that it should get better and eventually go away -I hope so.

I live in San Diego... curious if you are in CA as well. I have had the exact same symptoms for about a month. I have put off the Dr because i keep thinking I'm better a little at least and then boom..... I feel even worse. Not sure what to do at this point. It is hard to feel lousy for so long. I am also NEVER sick I am always the well healthy one. What the heck is this and what do i do to get rid of it??? I have also heard a few of my neighbors are feeling the same way... The body aches and sore throat are the worst although the tummy issues are not very fun either( I do seem to be gaining weight tho'.... figures instead of losing but that is most probably from not working out as hard as usual). Let me know if you find anything that helps other than a nice long vacation.... Good luck!

I can totally relate. I am on week 3 and still get the cramps. I have tried not eating and even taking antacid thinking it was something else. I started with a stomach flu from something i ate. I believe it was some bad humus. I dont even feel that bad except for my stomach. I am at the point where i dont even want to eat anymore but i still get hungry. I have gas, and burping and and cramps and its on and off. I'm thinking i need to starve it out me!

yes yes and yes! I've had the same thing (not to be disheartening) for nine or eight months. It's really annoying and I'm missing a good portion of my life. I keep seeing doctors and they try to help, but all they can tell me is that it's viral and to take another blood test (I hate those things). It's too bad 'cause I agree with that I feel it's really nothing, and that I should just go on with my life and ignore it, but I feel too bad to. It is great to know that other people have the same problem, but I can't wait to get some answers. Good luck to everyone

I'm starting to get scared. I'm a 29yo male who is seemingly very healthy. I've not been feeling well for nearly a month now. It started with an awful sore throat and a fever of 103 and swollen lypmhnodes. I felt awful and couldn't really move from under my blankets without getting terrible chills. Then i thought it was gone. I felt nearly back to normal. Then, the day before Christmas Eve, I started to feel nauseated. I went to my parent's house for the holiday and wasn't able to eat anything (which is very unusual). I felt nauseated for a few days after that, but have gotten my appetite back. However, my stomach hasn't been completely better. I still get random feelings of nausea at random times of the day that only last a few minutes. My bowel movements haven't' been completely firm as they used to be and sometimes they are very liquidy. While these weird stomach symptoms persist, I felt like i was getting a chest cold a few days ago. I couhed and sneezed a few times, but the underlying feeling of just feeling sick (ya know...the weak sick feeling) was definitely there. Those symptoms subsided a little. Then, yesterday, I got another sore throat. This time, it's a different kind of sore throat. It's more of a pain on the left side of my throat, rather than the burning sensation normally associated with sore throats. By the way, my throat looks normal i guess.

I'm super paranoid about this as i've never had an illness that lasted more than a few days and definitely am not used to feeling this runned down. So, this could be IBS? with all of the cold/flulike symptoms together? It's weird. like i've had 4 illnesses back to back (1. sore throat fever. 2. stomach issue that hasnt' gone away. 3. chest cold/sneezing 4. weird sore throat/pain of the left side). Could it be possible that i've gotten 4 separate strains of the flu/cold back-to-back?

I'm here b/c i lost my job in the mortgage industry along with all of my health care benefits. I'd go to the doctor if i knew his office visit would be the only fee....but i know he'd order like a million tests/exrays...etc. that would end up costing $1000s.

Every time I get a new job this thing comes back again, the longest I had it gone was 3 weeks. I've spent most of my time either trying to figure out what is wrong with me or drinking to numb the irritations.

Someone in the Gov't needs to tell the Oboma clan to not worry about health care for the moment and figure out what this crud is. It is so prevelant it has to be hurting the economy too.

Same here. I've had this "car sick" feeling for over two months. Occasionally it will go away for a few days...but then the sick feeling comes back out of the blue. It certainly helps reading the previous posts (assuming ya'll are okay now!)

Don't worry and be patient. This particular cold virus has done this to many people - it is like the adenovirus. The lymph nodes in the bowel mesentery become inflamed with it and give you what seems like ibs. Every time you are tired the virus reactivates a little - the sore throat might return, the gut might grumble, the nerves in your back will twinge. It can last a long time - on and off. You will get through it - but do you really want a spurrious diagnosis of ibs? Take vitamin C and zinc, eat well, take a probiotic, rest when you are tired and take walks in the fresh air. Good luck. (from personal experience - month 4 but only bad when I've played too much sport - it makes it come back !)

i have been sick for eight months, i thought it was the flu at first throwing up diarea, and then i couldnt eat any food just chewing it would make me throw up.
that lasted for a month and a half.now i can eat ok but i am still sick very sick, my doctors have run every test they can come up with, and they dont find anything.i have pain in my muscles joints. all the time every day it never goes away, i am dizzy light heaede dehydrated and feel like dirt all the time. if you have anything like this call me309-685-6514 jason

Hello all I have a similar thing as you all but mine started right after I did a colonic. The first I have done. Now I have good days, or hours, and bad ones. Bloating, gas, sinus pain headaches weakness and sometimes runny nose and also dry and scratch throat. I eat healthy and drinking some yogurt probiotics but it still hasn't gone away. I'll keep trying. Hope you do too.

Reading this has upset me.

I live in SF.  I rarely get sick.  A month ago I began having typical feelings of the flu as I remember them.  It started with a sore throat.  It hurt to swallow.  Then, it seemed to travel downward to my chest with congestion and a cough with lots of phlegam.  Soon after I had a mild case of diarhea.  I really thought that I was at the tail end of it when it just started all over again.

Right now, it hurts to swallow again.  I'm constantly blowing my nose.  And the most frustrating part is feeling so fatigued and tired that I'm not able to do much (that I need to do) and I spend a lot of time sleeping.  Sometimes I think it might be getting better.  At other times, it is as bad as the day it started. 

I have never had a fever with this, but all in all it has been bad enough.  My Dr. just said it would have to run its course after speaking with him over the phone - but now - it is affecting my life so much (what life?) that I felt that maybe I ought to be seen.  What if it's walking pneumonia?  What if it's strep throat?  Yet I get the feeling it's viral and not antibacterial.  Why does  my throat hurt so much on both sides.

I got this flu right after I had a problem with a gum that swelled up and was infected.  That's OK now (for now) and I wonder if it could be related.

I have never felt like this for so long and I don't know what to do.  If someone told me I had to live like this forever, I don't think I'd want to !!!!

What can I do?  Please help.

Trudijane wrote:

Reading this has upset me.

What can I do?  Please help.

Hi I just wanted to let u know that I am feeling the same way you are. Everything u have said is just like me. I am getting so frustrated my throat is alway sore and I have no energy at all. I will get better for a few days then it's right back to the sore throat and coughing again. I have two little kids that need me and I new this to just go away.

trying to help u guys out. i am finally cured after 2 months. if its what i had, which is probably a long lasting virus, eat healthy, lots of water, and no junk in your body like junk food and preservatives. for me the best was drinking organic probiotic yogurt every morning and evening and eating fruit and vitamin c. good luck!