Hey, I just started taking zoloft a couple weeks ago and I've basically smoked weed every day for the past 4 years. I take zoloft as well as a Beta Blocker for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia- nothing that should be taken lightly). I decided to blaze up on the drive back to school (2hr 30 minute drive) and suddenly because quite nervous, short of breath and had a VERY high pulse (150 bpm). I was getting symptoms of SVT from smoking pot even while on the beta blockers which are supposed to stop svt. Well dont worry just yet. I decided to NOT take my zoloft the night before cause I was gonna get very drunk with my buddies I wouldnt be seeing for awhile, but reguardless I became curious. After a lot of research I found out that Venlafaxine which is an ingredient found in most anti-depressants and anti-anxiety when mixed with marijuana causes your brain to overload with serotonin reuptake agonists. That means you have way too much serotonin and basically your brain flips a sh*t and you can possibly get SEROTONIN TOXICITY or SEROTONIN SYNDROME. This causes you to get seizures, tachycardia (pretty scary...), and so on. Guess what, you can die from these things. Dont believe me? Read my sources

http://www.erowid.org/pharms/venlafaxine/venlafaxine_interactions.shtml#ref_erowid_2004-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venlafaxine#cite_note-53

Read the stories, I've been to many sites and read a lot on this today, but I'm not finished. Everyones body reacts differently to different drugs, but this is the ONLY warning that websites like Erowid gives for drug reactions to weed. Its your life, be careful. Today was my last day smoking weed after 4 years almost every day... Im not risking my life for something that only makes me a little happy cause life makes me much happier.

Helllo. I've been taking 100 mg of zoloft for 4 years now for severe anxiety. I recently started smoke weed, and the first time i got high I experienced some of your symptoms too. But, I just told myself I was just high and made myself calm down, just like I would with any other panic attack. I studied the effects of mixing the two. There is nothing that scientifically proves there is any side effects. Weed is known to make you paranoid and anxious and I think you just started to panic and made it worse. Next time just tell yourself you're going to be okay. Put on some slow music, lay down and breathe. You'll find that once you relax it helps with anxiety . Hope this helps anyone ! :-)

It's pretty amazing that you were able to calm yourself down. I know that substances affect people differently- but after my experience with zoloft and weed, I can honestly say that I have a different outlook on life. I've been on zoloft for a few weeks and decided to smoke last night with some friends. Within minutes the worst terror I've ever felt- started. It's completely undescribable. Fortunately, my friend (who is a certified EMT) was there. I begged him to call 911, but he thought I was being dramatic. So, he took my pulse and it was 210 bpm. He tried to remain calm as he rushed me to his truck, but I could tell he was worried. This made me more paranoid than I can even describe. I truly thought I was dying and every minute seemed to last hours. It was the worst experience ever and it's not even understandable unless you've been through it (after doing some internet searching- I was shocked at how many people have felt the exact same effects). Like I said- everyone has different reactions to different substances.. But I would advise anyone to NEVER combine zoloft and weed.

i went to a party and got really high and had about four beers. im on 75mg of Zoloft. i was sitting there and suddently blacked out. when i woke back up everyone was freaking out and apparantly i had a seizure. i looked it up the next day, and what i think happened was cerebral hypoxia. this is when your brain is deprived of oxygen. apparantly this can cause brain damage or induce a coma.

If you compare using the two in a situation where your intoxicated, medicated and stoned your just asking for trouble especially in a social situation where perception is at its highest and anxiety would be at its highest.

I'm Bipolar and suffer from extreme depression to moderate highs filled in with normal periods, I take 100mg Seratraline (Zoloft) and smoke weed on a regular basis, with no adverse affects, this may be due to the fact I have smoked for years and am well tolerated to its effects on me, but goes to show that each situation is different on every person and taking drugs or even alcohol with any medication should be thought about carefully & done in a safe enviroment to determine tolerance and effects in conjuction with any type of medication or drug available.

Its is shown that even caffiene and Zoloft can have negative effects on a person, aswell as positive consider the benefits as well as the negatives when commiting to taking any sort of substance that will alter chemicals in the body .. even vitimins.

Peace.

take zoloft a.d marijuana almost a year now, 200mg a day zoloft 1000mg weed a day. no fuckups yet...

I'm taking for Sertraline 100MG for about 1 year. Been smoking marijuana for about 5-6 years. I've had about 2 seizures while smoking. The last time I smoked a week ago, I had a seizure about 15 minute after smoking. I suggest you do not smoke. Scary feeling. I am now 5 days without pot and am going through hell and back with withdrawal.

I'm a long-time user of SSRIs (paxil, then prozak for a long stint) and have been using Sertraline 50mg (zoloft) for about a month and a half now. I'm also a long time pot smoker, and have rarely had issues when on Prozak in the past.

Ever since zoloft, that's a different story. I initially thought it was because I was getting used to a new anti-depressant, but the effects I'm feeling anytime I smoke are mild versions of some of the seratonin syndrome effects. Scares the sh*t out of me. No more pleasant euphorias and facial highs. I just get a tight chest, trouble breathing, anxiety, dizziness, and sometimes pulse and temperature changes.

I've stopped smoking and am weaning myself off of Zoloft at the moment. Too dangerous and too many risks. I'll probably end up just smoking weed.

After using anti-depressants for so long, I've only learned that while they can certainly help you, there are too many factors that can go wrong, and we honestly don't know enough about their long-term use to be handing them out the way we do in our society.

Good luck everyone.

Lots of misinformation here folks. Be careful what you believe. Seratonin syndrome is very RARE and will NOT come as a result of mixing cannabis and sertaline alone. Where it comes into play is when you are taking heavy psychedelics like LSD or MDMA. I take 200mg a day of sertaline which is the max and have smoked cannabis every day for about 1.5 years. You'll be fine unless you have a panic attack. If you are prone to this make sure you know what strain you are using or you WILL regret it.

Agreed I am a regular smoker and have never had any issues. As a matter of fact, I see more benefits from the use of Marijuana than the Zoloft. At least I don't feel like Im dying if i don't smoke, unlike if I try to get off the antidepressant.

I've been on 100mg Setraline (zoloft) for only 2 weeks. Prior I used THC concentrates EVERYDAY, weed wouldn't get me high anymore. I took a hit of weed from a dry pipe and got stoned out of my gourd. Vaporized some BHO, possibly the worst panic attack I've had. Lasted hours.

well, which strain is best? I'm going to start taking Zoloft for the first time starting tomorrow, along with the Buproprion I already take and am being started on Strattera tomorrow as well. How do I know which strain is best in combination with those drugs?

I've been smoking cannabis for about 5 years, not every day but probably once a week or more. I've never had a panic attack and I've never been sick from smoking cannabis in all those 5 years.

I've been on Zoloft for 3 days, 50mg, and last night I smoked with some of my friends and I experienced something like nothing I've ever experienced. 

I became incredibly agitated, I couldn't sit down because I was getting strange flushes throughout my body. My feet were cold and numb. I lost quite a lot of my sense of touch in my right hand. I also felt like I could hear incredibly loud static in my ears when in actual fact we were watching a film in a pretty quiet room. I managed to remain calm because I knew it was the Zoloft. But I would describe what I experienced as a panic attack, despite not having an anxiety issue; the Zoloft is for depression.

Needless to say it was not pleasant and I wouldn't recommend mixing the two, especially to those on high doses of Zoloft.

They know plenty about it haha! It has yo go through numerous testing.

Ive had the same affects high before when i never took zoloft once in my life, its very common to have such an experience with weed if you have anxiety, if you can calm down then you feel good if you cant then i know its terrible. I had a 2 hour panic attack on weed and it was the worst experience ive ever had, but i wasnt taking any meds. Now im on zoloft and was just wondering if its safe to return to smoking again