My brother had a RD surgery (Macula off) on 28th Jan with Scleral buckling procedure with a best doctor. His vision started showed symptoms of improvement after 3 weeks of the surgery but Doctor said it will take up to 2- 3 months get the vision stabilised. We understand that the RD surgery was successfull with carefully attached Retina. However, he is complaining of
a) Wavy or deformed lines or objects after two weeks of surgery which still continue to exist
b) Floating objects in the vision which keeps moving when the eye lid moves
c) Blurred vision
We have been assured that (b) and (c) will be improved but not sure of (a) i.e bend or waviness in the lines or objects.
Can someone please explain the reason for this as well as if this is normal and gets improved later?

Thanks in advance for your time.

All "objects" and deformities in vision that your brother is experiencing after his surgery are cause by the slight irritations to the eye tissue that necessarily had to come with this kind of procedure. Floating objects ate most likely tiny parts of tissue that are blocking the light when it comes into contact with retina and I think that damage to the microscopic capillaries of the eye during the surgery is basically doing the same thing - distorting the light and blurring the vision. That is why the prognosis for these sort of problems is generaly positive - once everything heals, floaters should disapear also.

Thanks a lot for the very assuring reply.
Just one clarification - when we say the floaters should disapear, can I expect that the wavyness of the objects also disappear over a period of time? If these are caused by damages to the eye tissues, would they reduce/stabilise as well when everything heals?

Kind Regards

generally the answer should be - yes, waviness should disappear completely, but in realty, the result is most likely to be greatly reduced blurriness of vision because, I'm sure you've already come to terms with this - results of the surgery can't ever be 100 percent perfect. Mainly because even these small injuries will leave some amount of scar tissue, even though its microscopic, its enough to distort the light before it comes in contact with the retina. But - all people are different and it's a phrase, but nothing but time can't really tell. Wish you all the best!

Hi akod, i hope u plz reply my post.

i had retinal detachment 2 months ago and had surgery. i sitll have distortion and waviness i am just curious how ur brother is feeling now.

is distrotion and waviness all gone . Plz respond to me that how was the recovery and all other information which can be helpful to me.

plz help... thanks in advance.

sunny

sunny_3857 wrote:

Hi akod, i hope u plz reply my post.

plz help... thanks in advance.

sunny

My brother's vision is improved as far as 80% of original.
After 6months of operation, the waviness and distortion still exists even though he is now used to it. However, the floaters have stayed and is blocking the vision. I think these are the after effects of any RD sergery which is not in the hands of the Doctor and he is trying to accept it.

As I understand from the notes in the internet, the vision will continue to improve even after a year so hopeful that things will change.

Hope this helps

.............Thanks for your reply i appreciate a ton.

i still have distotion and waviness .. i went to doctor today but he never replies saying that il be 100 percent or how much time it'l take.

if possible stay in touch so that we can share recovery.

yea one more thing as u said vision of ur borther is 80 percnet improved u meant saying that waviness has decreased and distortion have decreased in last months or just the bliriness has gone,

plz reply thanks............

i hope we both get heeled soon,

.. Hi,

I can not say distortion has decreased completely. However as with every one, he has come to terms with it. He is able to do his normal day to day activities. He has been given glasses but they help him for the objects in distance. Due to this double vision, he can not use those glasses for reading. He also moan on the floating objects on his vision...So it is not perfect world...It is like car damaged in a accident!. Even though you take it to the best garage, there remains some imperfections..

After 6months of RD surgery, recently he had cataract formed which looks like a common thing after RD. Just couple of days back he had got it removed through a simple operation and got an artificial lens. People say there is a chance of improvement in vision due to these artificial lens but will be known only after a month or so...

If you had RD surgery within the 15-20 days of the detachment, the vision improvement continues to happen gradually even after a year! But no comments on regaining distortionless vision or vision without floaters!

Good luck!

Regards

Thanks. I dont know what to do i can just pray that we both heel soon. It's very scary for me since last couple months.

My life has turned upside down. but i hope we heel soon.

thanks

Quote:

thanks

Are you guys seeing any improvement on this wavey line stuff? I am in the same boat, 2 weeks after surgery. MikeJS

Hello Everyone

I think the best way to broach this topic of wavey lines that we all have or had, is to ask this question:

Is there anyone who has had retinal detachment surgery and ended up
having wavey lines and/or floaters in their vision that ever
fully recovered from this condition?

Please let us hear from you. Thank you

MikeJS wrote:

Hello Everyone

fully recovered from this condition?

Please let us hear from you. Thank you

Hi, Feb. 2011 I had "successful" retinal detachment surgery, 6 weeks later epiretinal membrane surgery, and 8 weeks ago a cataract lens replacement.
Wavy lines persist and there is a grey area, in addition to a drastic difference inthe size of objects each eye sees. It has been a one year ordeal so far. My operated right eye is almost useless except that it help me with peripheral vision. Reading is impossible although it tests at 20/30.
the next problem is to get glasses that won't give me double vision.

Every person is different though. Yesterday I talked to a lady who had had retinal detachment surgery 11 years ago and she can see perfectly to the point where she could not remember in which eye her detachment had been. Just have to wait and see what your body does. Good luck to all of us.

55 yrs old Family history of rd. buckle on March 20 2012 right eye Sight back to almost 20/20 corrected with contact. But wavy Waviness has improved somewhat Need cataract surgeary next month due to lens cloudy from gas bubble I will keep my mono vision set up for reading Hardest part is that I was right eye dominant so now I use left eye for distance and right Reading so I will have cataract lens set for reading not distance Crazy experience. Life changer. Saw surgeon today he says that waviness will continue to is improve and that cataract Is blocking a lot of vision so that surgery should help vision. Not waviness though Life's full of surprises

It has been three months after my surgery and I too, has a distinct grey area whenevery you try to focus on a spot. Doc told it could be perhaps that the tissues has already been damaged. Meaning, this would be permanent but so far i am doing alright just that there would be a frequent sting to my eye if i overstrain it..

I had RD surgery in February 2012, and a cataract formed post operatively,but was successfully treated with a corrective lens 4 weeks ago.  I have had slight distortion and wavy lines since the RD surgery, and still have a few floaters,which have not really improved. Im hoping the wavy vision may improve, as it does cause problems (hanging pictures on walls is not good !)

I have been told that healing still carries on even up to a year later,so fingers crossed. Just wish they had put a better replacment lens when they did the cataract surgery as it would have been fab to have better vision than Ive ever had in my life, I still dont understand why they put a lens in that still causes visual impairment ??

Hope everyone else who has had the surgery do well & carries on improving. I feel I am extermely lucky to still have some form of vision as I could have lost it compeletely with the bad RD,so maybe I should just count my blessings. Good luck all x