New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

Ok how do I start... (yes long post, but please read!) For the past 1-2 months I've been having this feeling like the neck muscles/back of neck is really weak. It causes me to feel dizzy/fogged/disorientated, because it causes my head to feel heavy almost like it's too heavy for my neck, and overall just feels heavy and dizzy.

It first happened basically out of no-where. I forgot exactly when it started, but about 1-2 months ago I had 2 sodas to drink back to back, and that made me feel kinda funny/dizzy shortly after when I was driving back home. So when I got back I layed down and slept for a few hours. I woke up, and STILL didnt feel better. So next day I wake up, and still am feeling the same. Ever since then the heavy head/neck muscles/dizzyness hasn't gone away.

I thought maybe it could be blood sugar - but I haven't noticed feeling any different from eating or drinking sugar or anything. And I can pratically FEEL the heavyness in my neck muscles in the back, so I'm pretty sure it has to do with my neck. As for my posture - I've been working at my current job for about 8 months now, doing Pizza delivery, so I drive 150+ miles everyday. And when i'm not at work driving, I'm on the computer.. I've been on the computer for the past 5 or so years, for long hours everyday. So maybe that causes weaker neck muscles/poor posture, but how did I ALL OF A SUDDEN get this extremely weak neck/heavy head feeling/dizzyness? Been this way for 1-2 months now and still not feeling better.

But the last few days it's gotten WORSE. At first it was kinda on and off, and it was more managable. But today I literally felt like there was nothing I could do to make the back part of my neck feel better. The heavyness/dizzy feeling was too much, so I tried to lay down, and I still felt the heavyness in the back of my head/neck. And the heavyness feeling causes me to feel dizzy/sick like. Feels like the muscles in the back of my neck are so weak that it's causing me dizzness/weakness overall.

So since I was feeling so bad today, I called around different places to see if I could try Acpucture. I managed to find a place, I went in, told them my problems, and they did the acupucture. Didn't really feel any different, still felt dizzy after it was over. But the lady who came in afterwards, she was removing the needles and massaging/feeling certain parts on my neck and was asking me "do you still feel dizzy?" while massaging/touching certain parts on my neck. Well she continued to basically massage the back part of my neck to see if I'd feel better, but I guess she musta hit some spot on the back of my neck, or massaged too hard, because then the massage started to feel TOO HEAVY, and I literally felt like I was gona faint/throw up/pass out. I had to quickly move over and lay face down on the bed they had there in order to get the dizzyness away... I don't know what happened there - the accupture was already finished, she was just feeling/masage certain parts of my neck because I told her I still felt dizzy. But I guess she musta hit the sensitive spot or something, because I literally started to get extremely dizzy/faint like from her touching/massaging that one spot on my neck. And I never experienced the feeling like I was gona pass out before really, until just today when she did that massage on that one part of my neck. I've felt dizzy and the need to lay down before, but never that bad.

So now i'm back home again, but feel pretty much the same as before I even got the acupture --in other words -- still not good. Weak neck feeling heavy, causing me to feel dizzy/disorienated/foggy head overall.

What do you think it could be? Who should I see?! I literally cannot handle this. It's gotten quite a bit worse over last few days. Hard to do anything really, or to even focus on anything because all I feel is this heavy head/heavy neck that causes me to feel so dizzy/fatigued/sick.

Oh, I forgot to mention I got into a car accident a few days ago. It wasn't anything major, (just a small collision where I rear-ended a guy) but it's possible it could have made my neck/my condition worse. Because now all of a sudden a few days after the accident my head/back of neck is feeling a lot more heavy/dizzy than before.. But remember my problem was on-going for about 1 to 1 /2 months BEFORE the accident occured, but I think the accident could have made it worse... I don't remember my head flying forward at all during the accident, but it's possible it could have as I rear-ended the guy pretty decently and it was kinda a hard hit, at least for my car it was, his car just had scratches. (wasn't my fault though).

I went to a chiropractor a few weeks ago, and he did the adjusting on my neck. Didn't really feel any better afterwards, still felt the same. But I only went one time, he said it takes time and more appointments before I start to feel better, but I haven't went back since. (I'm probably going to, unless someone thinks I should go else-where). I asked him if maybe it's a trapped or pinched nerve in my neck causing me to feel this way. He said that through manual adjustments it actually can help release and pinched/trapped nerves. Is that true? Do you think that maybe it's just some pinched/trapped nerves in my neck? The one manual adjustment he did didnt make me feel any better, but maybe I could try again.

I'm thinking about going back to the chriportactor unless anyone else thinks there is some better ideas. Neurologist? Nerulogical chiropractor? Or??

Also I've almost been suffering from major depression for the past 3 years due to me loving a friend of mine who doesn't love me back, so I'm still not over that. But so far the depression has only caused me: lack of appetite sometimes, sometimes nausea when I get anxious, and Anxiety sometimes. Depression probably caused me to have weaker neck muscles, but I NEVER had this extremely weak neck feeling before until just 1-2 months ago, and the dizzyness/disorentiated/heavy head feeling that it's causing I don't get. I can literally feel the heavyness in my neck muscles, so it's not depression or Anxiety, it just can't be.

As of right now... my head feels like it's leaning forward, back of neck muscles/back of head feels really weak. It's causing me to feel dizzy/disoriented/foggy head, and nausea will come and go and I feel like I'm be sick or throw up sometimes because of the dizzyness I bet. And just thinking about it makes me anxious, so that just worses it..... What can I do!? I'm already extremely mentally depressed, now this? Words cannot express how unbelievably bad a combo that is.

OMG your post sounds just like me!!!

I had 24/7 dizziness for a year and had every test under the sun done and everything was negative. They diagnosed it as anxiety. I am now on Klonopin and Lexapro for depression and it has helped a lot

One thing I do recommend for you regarding your neck get an mri of your cervical spine (neck) as something there could be a small problem and might be causing the dizziness as well

Keep us updated and if you have any questions or need any help we are here for you : )

Regards
Portia
supporter

Thanks the quick reply heh.

I'll get the test done. Where would I go to do get the test done? Can I have the chiropractor run those tests for me? Last time I went he said he would take a x-ray of me if necessary, but at the time I wasn't feeling too bad and both us didn't think it was necessary at the time.. Although now I feel worse, so probably a good idea to get some tests done maybe. Any other possible test ideas so I can make sure next time I go that I can ask him to run all the best test ideas at once.

So do you think I should see a chripractor first? Last time I visited he said he'd do manual adjusting to see if that helps. I've heard going to a chripractor can make it worse, but why would that be? After doing a lot of online research I've found multiple people with similar symptoms as me saying that it ended up just being a pinched nerve in the neck which caused the dizzyness/nausea/disoriented feeling, etc. So I wonder if the chripractor through manual adjusting can help free that trapped nerve?

But for you, do you feel anything in the back of your neck/back of neck muscles? I swear it feels like the back of my neck muscles are causing the problem. It feels like the weakeness is coming from my neck muscles, which is then causing me to feel dizzy.

It's possible it could be depression and anxiety (as I have both of them), but that doesn't explain how it all of a sudden about 1-2 months ago I just started to have this problem (and I've been depressed for well over 2.5 years+ now because of a friend I still love), and doesn't explain how come over the last few days I've been feeling a lot more dizzy/disoriented/foggy head and heavy head feeling than before. If it's truly a neck problem, then that explains why I started to feel worse over the last few days as my car accident occured just a few days ago. (I still had this weak neck/dizzy problem before the car accident, but about 2 days after accident I also started to feel more weaker neck, more dizzy, etc than before the accident.)

Not sure what it is, but it really does feel like something is wrong with my neck muscles, they feel really weak and heavy, which in turn causes me to feel dizzy, disorientaed, foggy head, nausea sometimes, etc. That's just what I'm guessing, because that's how it feels. I could be right about my neck being the problem, or it could be something else, I don't know.... and I don't know what tests to do, or who to see?!

I guess the pinched nerve in my neck theory sounds like the best possbility, to me at least as it seems like the heavyness/dizzy feeling is coming from the back of my neck, so maybe a chripractor would be who I should try first???

Hi again

Sure you can go to your chiropractor. They do wonders but for tests you have to go to your primary

Tell your primary exactly what is going on and tell him you want an MRI of your brain and cervical spine (neck) and also to run blood tests for you.

I read an article once that anxiety causes dizzines but there are a lot of other things that can cause it as well.

Please go to your doctor as well as the chiropractor

Write back if you want now as I am up and here for you

Hugs
Portia

Well, I'm still having the same problem.

It almost feels like tension in the back of my neck is causing the weakness. Sometimes it'll randomly feel a little better, othertimes it'll feel worse. So yeh i don't get it.... There was even like almost a week of time where I hardly felt it at all. But now it's back again??? Maybe weak neck muscles, but not sure why. From depression that I've had for 2.7 years and counting? Or poor posture all these years finally caused it?

I got x-rays, but I think the chiro just took x-rays of my neck, not my cervical spine... I shoulda asked, but too late now.. He said looking at the x-rays overall it looks normal, expect my posture is kinda leaning forward. Now that may be, but I really think it's more of a muscle problem then anything else... But I could be wrong.

Should I see a regular doctor too? I thought a regular medical doctor wouldn't really be able to help if it's a neck muscle issue, etc. So what could a regular doctor do? I guess I could still try them, but I have a feeling they'll just give me some muscle relxant meds or something. I always thought when it's a muscle/neck problem, etc that a chrio is who helps. Or is there someone else who is better in that area?

The chiro just wants to adjust me and see if that helps (he thinks my weak neck muscles is caused due to poor posture... I guess that's possible, but it feels like it's my weak neck muscles/tense neck muscles causing the weakness. But of course I don't know for sure). Any other ideas? Should I try a few more acpucture treatments and have chrio do the adjusting? Any nutrtion supplments that'll help heal weak neck muscles?

Hi

You can have the chiro do adjustments and see if it works if not go to an orthpeadic

After reading your post I thought for a moment that I wrote it some time ago. We have almost the exact same issue. I'm still having problems with it and I'm going to look into (HBO/HBOT) Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. You should look into it as well.

I have this neck and dizziness problem since years. I did not find any solution yet, but I am going to try physical therapy.

Yes I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you- heavy head. dizziness sore neck etc. I thought I was the only one! It is definitely affecting my quality of life. Last year I had it even worse and the doctors diagnosed it as Labrynthitis. I have tried different things but haven't found anything that works yet. Am thinking of getting an MRI done to see if that shows up anything. Chiropractor didn't help me. I find neck massage/physio to help but only temporary. Must get off this computer now - my neck needs a rest!Reading and computers seem to make me feel worse. Will let you know if I find anything that works!

Hi everyone,

My fiance is experiencing some of the same symptoms - dizziness and a heavy feeling in the neck and head. Went to see an ENT specialist and nothing showed up in the tests and he is making an appt with a neurologist. Have any of you figured out what could be causing this from your tests? This is really worrying me.

Thanks,
Rav.

Hi Guy's
I read with great interest all your comments, as I too have suffered these symptoms since I was 20, I am now 50, I have had numerous test done including Brain scans, and all results come back as being anxiety. although they did find I had very high blood pressure 195/115 which is being treated now last reading was 140/70.

My advice for you is let the Dr check you out, and try and refuse stress and anxiety.

Cheers
Lee

I also have the same symptom's. I usually sleep when it gets bad but I wake up still feeling the same. All my tests have come up inconclusive however, I suffer from anxiety like many of you. I started zoloft which has seemed to make it much worse (along with horrible nightsweats).

Switching medicine might be a good idea---I have another silly suggestion but I seem to think that mixed along with all the issues---dehydration. Try increasing your consumption of water. It may be the placebo effect but it really seems to make me feel better once I start feeling dizzy. This may be good for you guys who have been trying many different treatments and come up empty handed. I am no doctor but I know what works for myself. Cheers!

I too have just gotten a weak neck after having a tmj procedure on my neck and jaw at the physical therapist. I was having tightness in my throat but I think it was from years of sleeping on my stomach and face.

They said I was tired & your neck droops from it. But I really felt the droop and it scared me. My husband said my muscles were weak. So I took an ankle weight I had - from the sporting goods store (it has velcro and you can remove some of the weights) I wrapped it around my head. Looks silly and lifted it back and forth, but it did help to strengthen my neck muscles.

I've been working at a computer for 20 years and the forward posture I'm sure hasn't helped. I thought that maybe a stroke happened, but the test online says if you raise both arms and one falls, then you had one. But everytime I did that my arms stayed up - so no stroke.

I too have been having dizziness, memory fog - which I'm usually very sharp.

I went to an ear specialist yesterday who said (since I'm getting over a cold) I shouldn't have went yet - he said "Oh I think you have Allergies and prescribed Clarinex". I told him Vertigo and he gives me Clarinex!

I'll keep you posted

Hi

I too am having this dizziness problem. I have been for an MRi, been to see a neurologist and been to ENT, I'm now awaiting hormone tests. Its affecting my quality of life (some days I cannot make it to work) also I can be fine and then feel really really spaced out - for example walking around the shops.I feel weak/spaced out/dizzy every single day - the worst thing is the almost fainting (although I havent actually passed out yet). I am beginning to think it may be in my head - although I swear I am not imagining it.
The doctor reccommended me bathing in epsom salts to eliminate toxins from my blood. But this was just a last ditch attempt to find out whats wrong. ME/CFS has crossed my mind.
If the hormone tests dont show anything, I might ask to be put on antidepressants - worth a try - although I dont feel depressed (just very stressed) which I think it adding to the pain in my neck - this is probably just tension...
If anyone out there does find a cure please please please let me know.
I will keep you posted on my tests, hopefully will help some of you rule things out.

Finally! I think people look at me funny when I try to describe what this feels like. It's sort of a cramp, but not a cramp, sort of a spasm, but not a spasm, sort of dizzyness, but not dizziness. It's sort of a wave of incapactiating feeling from my head down through my neck and shoulders to my arms. Only one doctor (pain specialist) out of many actually recognized what this was and called it "heavy neck".
I have done accupuncture (which is the best of all for my back, neck & shoulders), chiropractic, & 1 set of injections. Only the injections relieved my heavy neck symptoms but it only lasted about 6-8 months. I'd like to be relieved again but don't really want to go through that process again.
OY!
I have a history of neck & back problems over the years and was told that this is probably the degeneration of discs which press on the nerves.
My x-rays & MRIs show the nerves being compressed.

All that said, at the very least, I'm not alone. WELCOME TO THE HEAVY NECK CLUB!