New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

I have had spinal meningitis in the past with stiff neck, nausea, eyes sensitiveity, weakness,horrid headache, and blurry eyes... That was an awful experience, the pain behind neck was terrible, blinding..
Recently I have had a problem with my neck. I painful discomfort especially looking up. Tipping my head back a bit to look up I got sick to my stomach, dizzy, my neck hurt and was hard to keep up the head. Not exactly like meningitis , my eyes did not hurt just blurry. I have palmitate do the back of my neck and I feel a small wide lumps. Don't know what to make of it

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Excellent, succint, helpful

Wow! Those are pretty much the exact symptoms i've been dealing with for the last 5 months (I know, it hasn't been long compared to some of you but it feels like an eternity) it all started one day when I was sitting at my computer (probably for way too long) and I turned my head to get up and my legs and arms went numb and I got super dizzy and couldn't walk, this lasted a couple minutes then went away and returned a few more times that day so I went to hospital. I was tachycardic so they automatically just told me I was having a panic attack and I can't believe I believed them, I know my body better than that and now I've been dizzy and off balance constantly for almost 6 months :( I can't turn my head or move my arms or spine without feeling like I'm going to collapse and sometimes my head will just start bobbing out of nowhere. I've been to an ent, a vestibular rehab center where I've been doing physical therapy for 2 and a half months (they added neck exercises that i thought were helping for a little while) and I just had an mri done of my neck and spine and nothing was wrong so she suggested i go to a neurologist but it really feels physical to me so i don't want to waste my time :( this has been so incredibly hard i've had to quit my job i can't go out to eat because the movement makes me feel like my head is spinning and being pushed down by an anvil, when i reach for something on the shelf at the grocery store the room starts spinning and i feel like i'm walking on a boat. the only time i feel good is when i'm lying on my back with no pillow in bed. no one believes me because they can't see what's going on. i don't know how much more of this i can take!!! I gave myself a neck massage last night and i felt s knot the size of a baseball and this morning my neck hurts worse than before and it didn't help any of the other symptoms either. boo :(

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I went to the chiropractor over a dozen times to see if that would help and it didn't. the last time i went i got the worst headache of my life and could barely walk. Guess it's off to a neurologist for me :(

Can you please let me know what resulted after your surgery? Your situation sounds so much like mine. Thank you.

did your symptoms go away the first day? I just went yesterday for the first time and the osteopath said c1 and c2 were misaligned and that she realigned it and i should be feeling better soon but i'm still feeling the same sometimes worse :/ i guess it's only been a day....

I have the exact same problem with year s. I'm exhausted from it. Massage helps. But not for long.

I feel the exact same way and can't get any answers. It hurts so bad. It's depressing knowing I may have to spend the rest of my life like this also

Hey everybody. Glad/sad to see so many people with the same issue. I have been dealing with the same thing for about 4 years but I have figured out what the cause is (not saying there aren't other causes or that there isn't a medical reason why this is happening) as Someone earlier mentioned it as well on about page 20.

But there's a muscle on both sides of the neck called the "Sternocleidomastoid muscle" or "scm" for short, and as noted most people here suffer from anxiety. When we get anxious we tense this muscle without realising it.

This muscle can cause the symptoms we have all been experiencing like..

Tension Headache: A common, but debilitating, headache that is typically attributed to perceived muscle tension in the neck and cranial muscles. The duration of these headaches can vary from 30 minutes to several days, and may occur daily in chronic cases.

Migraine Headache: The SCM trigger points can produce many of the symptoms associated with non-aura migraine headaches, such as visual disturbances, muscle tenderness, and unilateral (one-sided) headache pain.

Hangover Headache: The dehydration caused by excessive alcohol intake can activate trigger points in the SCM and trapezius muscles and produce the dreaded “hangover” headache.

Atypical Facial Neuralgia: Pain in the cheek, jaw, and temple regions. Sore throat and Pain on Swallowing: The middle trigger point in the sternal division can produce pain at the base of the tongue that makes it difficult and/or painful to swallow.

Visual Disturbances: Trigger points in the sternal division commonly produce blurred vision, double vision, and a dimming of perceived light intensity. Eye Problems such as a drooping eye-lid (ptosis), excessive eye tearing and/or reddening of one or both eyes.

Forehead Sweating: sweating on one side of the forehead, above the eye.

Dizziness & Vertigo: Dizziness when moving the head, such as lifting it to turn over in bed, or when tilting it backward to look at something above. Seasickness or car sickness are typically a problem, and quick movements of the head may cause fainting and/or nausea.

Hearing Impairment: Trigger points in the clavicular division may cause moderate deafness or “ringing” in one ear.

Sore Neck: While the SCM trigger points don’t refer pain to the neck, clients with these trigger points will often rub their necks to alleviate soreness in the region.

Upper Chest Pain: The lower trigger point in the sternal division may refer pain to the upper chest bone region.

Now most of the articles I have read indicate that there are trigger points which you can massage to relieve the pain, like in the shoulder blade etc, or on YouTube they show you how to massage the scm muscle yourself (it's not quite as easy as it sounds) .

My pain is brought on by looking at my phone or tablet, sucking my cheeks, tensing my lips and raising my shoulders , basically being tense and looking down or stretching my neck out which I am doing right now. I also suffer from tmj. Basically the perfect stress ball for this issue to arise like most of us I would say.

Just remember there is a muscle in your neck which is responsible for controlling your balance, your pain in your cheeks and in your jaw and your temples and sore throats and your hearing, your brain fog, your visual disturbances, the pain under your jaw like under your tongue that feels constantly tensed, all the problems we suffer from this muscle is responsible for.

Do yourselves a favour read up on it, figure out if you have a trigger point that needs to be relaxed, speak to a doctor, get a massage, massage the scm muscle yourself, but don't forget this muscle is responsible for all our symptoms.  

Good luck.

Mick.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Anyone ever look into trigger points, trapezius muscle or myofacial pain. I've had similar symptoms for 4 wks one doc mentioned these to me. I'm going for physio in a few days and the swimming pool to keep other muscles good without weight of my head adding to it. Also I have a posture brace that pushes shoulderso back and down with helps.

Have any of you experienced palpitations at the onset of the fatigue, lightheaded neck weakness syndrome? My ekg is fine.....but it always happened together. I do know that reaching up or moving something heavy seems to coincide with next symptoms.

I feel the same way!! The feeling is so hard to explain. I have it for days to weeks then it will just go away but it always comes back. It's like a constant ache in a nerve that runs through my neck to my head where I feel ill all the time. Nausea, headaches, no energy and can't even go to work some days.

I have the same problems but mine are even worse sometimes I can't breath and I have to hold my head with something cause it's like literally falling off mine started because I was messing to much with my hair ...pulling it so hard that it feels like my back scalp it's on my chest now crazy I know but that's how it feels

Are you saying you have trichotillomania? You pull your hair out and you think that is the cause of your symptoms? I only ask because I'm suffering from dermatillimania and trichotillomania iand have thought that was the cause of my dizziness and headaches because of all of the added weight to my head for hours and pushing down on my face and twisting and bending my neck for hours a day feeling like there's a trapped nerve or blood vessel on my neck maybe that's what's goinf on with you and maybe you cant breathe because of the anxiety have you tried massage?

The DOCTORS STATE "EVERYTHING" IS STRESS RELATEDNESS,!! This Really sucks bad! I've been Dizzy, Dosoriented, Severe headaches, Lethargic n NO ENERGY , nauseous n GET TOLD. "YOU NEED TO RELAS."