I am 36 year old woman. I am using Zoloft for past eight months. I have gained a lot of weight during this time. My best friends told me that maybe Zoloft caused this. Can you give me more information about this drug. Is it possible that it can cause weight gain?

Zoloft is an antidepressant and it is believed that antidepressants cause weight gain. It has many side-effects like nausea, severe headaches, tremor, insomnia etc. Many people gain weight while taking Zoloft, but also some of them lose weight. It all deppends on a person and its metabolism. Weight gain caused by antidepressants is more common than you think. If you have gained more than 20 pounds within shorth period of time, it is being caused by a change in your metabolism. Drug is slowing down your metabolism and inhibits it to function correctly. It is important to know that is almost impossible to lose the weight while using Zoloft, and that is a price that most of the patients need to pay. Think if your eating habbits have changed since you started taking Zoloft. However, you need to visit your doctor to be certain what is your case.

i went on zoloft in college, and noticed i started to gain weight......thought it was due to many nights out drinking and not eating great. Then I went off it for a few years and was back on it after the birth of my frist child. 2 weekes after i had him, i lost 30 pounds! Then i realized the PPD was bad and i needed to go back on zoloft.....i BLEW UP! I gained 35 pounds in 2 months. Then i kept gaining and couldnt get the weight off. I stopped the zoloft when i felt better and focuse on losing weight, it was stubborn and i could only lose 17 pounds with exercise and weight watchers diet. I just assumed my body changed due to pregnancy and age. I just had my second child and needed to go back on zoloft when she was 2 weeks old. Again i lost 25 pounds very fats after having her......as soon as I started the zoloft, my middle got thick and bloated and i started to gain ten pounds. I stoppped the pill immediately and did research to fined out that zoloft WAS the cause of my weight gain. I am very upset because i had no idea this was a side effect and it is hard to get the weight off because your body is chemically altered for months even when you stop taking it. Hope is there, it does come off with cardio and eating lots of veggies! Taking one a day weight smart vitamins also helps trigger your metabolism back into gear, and they are safe vitamins, not diet pills. For all of you out there going through this, know that your body does adjust and you need to shock it back into gear. Even if you never ran a day in your life.....RUN! The cardio must be upped in order to shock your system and turn your gears around to burn fat fast. I am not down to my weight pre pregnancy and feel great. Took about 4 months after stopping zoloft, there is hope....just stay positive so you dont need more meds ;-)

I just stopped taking my Zoloft a couple months ago and I haven't changed my workout routine or anything, if anything I haven't worked out as much and i have gone from a size 6-8 to about a size 4-6....A lot of people keep telling me I have lost weight and the scale used to say 140 now its at about 130...is it form that?? I dont know...but thats the only thing that makes sense......

Taking Zoloft and reading so much about it has really reinforced the idea that brain chemistry is still largely not entirely understood because of so many variations on individual levels. Any question of whether an antidepressant CAN cause a symptom is almost certainly a yes. I read that most people have less of an appetite on Zoloft and I was looking forward to this side effect... However instead I had a constant inner restlessness (akathisia I guess) that often translated as an insatiable hunger. (Also most people have decreased sex drive, and I had the opposite, it seemed like it was caused by the same sort of restlessness). You could be eating more without realizing it, or as someone already mentioned, your metabolism could be slowed down.

I gained 10kg wile taking Zoloft for six months, no i stoped taking it for 14 days.
Do you think i will lose the weight i gained because of Zoloft?!

I am on Zoloft right now, I exercise and eat properly. Before I started taking it I needed to lose weight, and since taking it I have been losing weight. I am a couple pounds from my goal weight.

I have been taking zoloft for about a year now and have gained 35 lbs. I had no idea weight gain was a side effect until recently. I exercise regularly and still can't lose any weight, just keep gaining. I've started tapering off the zoloft because I feel worse about myself because I just keep gaining weight. Looking forward to getting my own emotions, metabolism and body back.

I have been on Zoloft for about three months and I am so glad I found this site. I have gained around ten pounds already and had to buy new pants :-) I didn't mind at first because I understood I would probably gain some pounds, but as the new pants start getting tight I'm becoming annoyed. It is expensive to keep buying clothes that fit nice. I have found exercising helps keep my shape and keep me more toned looking but, the fat it still getting thicker. It's like my but it higher but bigger. So, exercising does help keep things in place but I have learned it won't kick up your fat burning furnace.

I have been on Zoloft for about 18 months and have gained about 33 pounds. I am convinced it is not actually the drug. Prior to taking the medication I obsessed about my weight and was never satisfied. I am 5'5" and at my lightest I weighed 109lbs. That is considered underweight for my frame. Still, I wasn't thin enough in my mind. After taking the drug, for the first time in my life I began to feel good about the way I looked. I no longer obsessed and really didn't watch what I ate. The weight gain was slow, I knew it was happening but because I felt good about myself, I didn't care. I truly believe I gained the weight because I overate, not because of the drug. I am back on Weight Watchers and hope to shed the weight in time for summer. I have advised my spouse that I need his support because I will not be able to do it alone. My fear is that after losing 10 or 15 pounds and my clothes fit again, I will revert back to my behavior of not keeping track of what I eat. Hopefully his support will get me where I want to be. If not, I told him I will stop taking the drug so I will start obsessing again !!! Good luck to those of you out there. Just make sure you are honest with yourself about what is causing the weight gain. Is it really the drug or is it more related to your better mood?

I have been on 200 mg of Zoloft for the last 6 months. I have gained 20 unexplainable pounds in that short of a time. I weigh more now than I ever have. I am going to tapper off, and discontinue using Zoloft. I will let you know if the weight goes away. So glad I came across this site.

I too am nearly 36, and spent about 2 years on zoloft. I am a ballet dancer and lifelong vegetarian and healthy eater, but after the first 6 months or so I began to gain weight at the rate of about 4-5 lbs per month no matter what I did in terms of diet and exercise. Of course I was mortified, but nobody could really attribute it to the sertraline--even my psychiatrist who is both knowledgeable and caring. I spent months visiting gynecologists, endocrinologists, and other specialists, and received batteries of tests which showed nothing noteworthy and I continued to balloon--to nearly 80lbs heavier than my starting weight. For a dancer this sort of thing is catastrophic. Finally, my psychiatrist and I were having a very pointed discussion on the topic and he said to me that once we investigated all the other more obvious culprits he was finally of the opinion that I was one of an unlucky few who experienced significant weight gain on zoloft. He said he had seen it only once or twice before in many years of using the drug with patients, and that since my anxiety was well managed that we should try weaning off ssri's altogether and just manage the acute symptoms with benzodiazepines as needed (in my case xanax). I was on a fairly high 200mg/day dosage, so it took a while to step down to zero, but I lost 6 lbs rather quickly. That was just a month ago. I am not gaining any more, and slowly my body seems to be returning to normal. I would like to emphasize the SLOWLY part. Many providers will tell you that sertraline does not cause any significant weight gain--or that if it does it is due to an increase in appetite and therefore and increase in caloric intake. THIS IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE. I would encourage anyone who is experiencing that frustration--who knows they are not overeating and yet continues to gain weight and is told that they must in fact be overeating to talk to someone else. If you feel your doctor is not listening to you, you are probably not seeing the right person, and with psychiatric illnesses as with any health problems it is crucial to have a trusting and open dialogue with your healthcare professional. Also be encouraged that if you are not able to be emotionally healthy without an ssri, there are a great many available, and they do not all carry the same side effects for each person. Work with your doctor. Trust your instincts, and know that you can be healthy both physically and emotionally.

I gained 70 pounds I can't stand over the last 12 years. To be fair, there are a few reasons it happened, of which Zoloft use is only one. I had two large babies. I had two c-sections. I've had constant, high levels of stress -- actually, maybe angst describes it better. I went from being an active exerciser with a nearly vegan diet to a sedentary lifestyle consuming a standard American diet, and did this just at the point when natural changes in metabolism dictate that one should increase activity and lower calories -- I was in my 30s and passing into my 40s. Nonetheless, as a person who has taken both Zoloft and Paxil for prolonged periods, the Paxil experience being in my 20s and before children, I am completely convinced that these drugs caused this problem. These two drugs are exactly the same kind of medications; not only are they SSRIs, but they are both formulated to treat both depression and anxiety. I KNOW they cause weight gain. Here's the unique contribution to this conversation: I don't think it's the antidepressant function that causes that problem, I think it's the anti-anxiety function that causes that problem.

I'm not a medical professional, but I have good scientific reasoning, and my theory is that the same function in these drugs that turns your "fight or flight" reflex off, and enables you to stop panicking when there is no reason to panic, because it works on the sympathetic nervous system, and unconscious, instinctual reactions to stress, I believe also affect metabolism. When I think about this logically, I can see a connection between a high metabolic rate and a tendency to be high strung. Doesn't it seem like those might go together?

Not far above me is a person who says that she lost six pounds switching from Zoloft to Xanax. I don't want to be a downer, no pun intended, but I have a prescription to Xanax and I gained ten pounds with lightning speed when I started taking more of it for a month. Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication and I believe your results may be short lived. The best thing to do where that is concerned, in my well-considered amateur opinion, is to use Xanax as a "break glass in case of emergency" medication. Take half of a tablet. Only take another half if it doesn't work, and don't take it regularly. Manage as much anxiety as you can through other means.

My problem now is that I'm finding to my great distress that even though I use Xanax the way I just described, and even though I eat really a pretty decent diet most of the time by typical U.S. standards, and even though I am in the gym 6-9 hours every week, I absolutely cannot get my metabolism back and it is so depressing, it almost makes me want to go back on Zoloft (I've been off it for 2 years). I think the person who said above that after your brain chemistry has been altered by this medication, and you get off it, you have to SHOCK your metabolism into responding is right. Intuitively, I have suspected this to be true for a long time now. I'm having trouble though, given both financial and time limitations, figuring out exactly how to do that.

anonymous wrote:

I feel worse about myselp also, we are in the same boat....hope it works out for you! GOOD LUCK!!!

I hate zoloft, been on it for year. I am a marathon runner, run 30-40 miles per week and gained 25 pounds since star ting zoloft, with my dr. Been trying to wing off for two months, and it has been a struggle with the side effects. When I got. On it my dr said 1. Not addictive 2. Won't cause weight gain... Complete lie. I was a size 2 now I'm pushing a six.