New Reply New Topic Followed by 25 people

I have few questions about the whole weight issue and antidepressants. I have been on Wellbutrin for a few weeks. Also, before that I tried some other drugs, and all of them made me gain so much weight. Now I started to lose weight so I want to know if that is normal. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this, and know why Wellbutrin cause weight loss?

I have 14 years old son with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. First he uses Meridia but later his physician said it is not prescribed for those less than 16 years old. During chat with his doctor I found out Wellbutrin is successful with weight loss with his patients. I couldn’t find the reason why Wellbutrin cause weight loss, if I know almost every other drug he has been using caused weight gain. Then one doctor told me Wellbutrin is normally used with kids, without any special side effects. Weight loss seems to be normal with this drug. He told me this is primarily as a function of its side effects. He told me some of possible side effects and one of them was reason for weight loss. That was anorexia. The doctor said anorexia and anxiety were reported significantly more often for Wellbutrin treatment group, whereas somnolence, appetite increase, and edema were reported significantly more often for the trazodone treatment group.

I lost a lot of weight on Wellbutrin (20 tbs) and since I have quit taking it I have begun to have a major appetite. I am thinking of returning to the drug because although I felt a little ancy at times while on it... I didn't eat as much (for no reason), and I am worried about my excessive appetite which is making my depression return. It is great for smokers who don't want to put weight on and want to quit. I love that Wellbutrin gave me a diet plan too and now I miss the drug benefits (energy as well) that I am returning to it. Good luck to you, and I doubt that this pill will make you gain any weight... the jitters and significant weight loss taper off at around month.

yeager wrote:

I am currently on Wellbutrin XL and some of the symptoms are just out of the norm, and had me kinda antsy about using this. Although I am happy at the "Weight Loss" Side Effect, it had me wondering about of things..
and now that I see that there are other people on the site that are going through the same things.

Some of my side effects are:
Weight Loss
Decreased Appetite
Heart Palpitations
Jitteriness
Dry Mouth
Muscle Soreness
Minor Headaches

Please if you use this medication.. use it as a help, not a overdoser.
It's very vital to the immune system, and to your central nervous system.
Please contact a doctor as soon as possible if you are unable to handle this medication.

I have experienced weight loss since starting this drug
in February. I also have nausea. I'm getting concerned about it but it seems others have experienced the same thing.

yeager wrote:

I have few questions about the whole weight iasue and antidepressants. I have been on Wellbutrin for a few weeks. Also, before that I tried some other drugs, and all of them made me gain so much weight. Now I started to lose weight so I want to know if that is normal. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this, and know why Wellbutrin cause weight loss?

hi, i have been on wellbutrin for about 2 months and have lost 8 pounds and feel 'over all' better. Last week I started to feel itchy... it's not really bad but annoying, especially at night I itch more. I have experienced a few restless nights... the pros out way the cons (in my case)...

yeager wrote:

I DO BELIEVE YOU SHOULDENT BE LOOSEING WEIGHT UNLESS YOUR ON SOME KIND OF PROGRAM TO LOSE WEIGHT.

i find that wellbutrin has helped curb my hunger... i am able to stick to my diet- which i don't like the term diet- I call it my life change, making good eating habits for the longterm-changing the way i eat. i have been depressed about my weight and now feel like i can do something about it, i do not plan to stay on wellbutrin too long, just until i feel like i have most 'things' in my life under control.

I am also on Wellbutin. Some weight loss is normal. My doctor explained that the drug had originally been used to curb smoking and someone realized that people were also losing weight.

In my experience I maybe lost 10 lbs the first month on Welbutrin; however, I have gradually gained my appetite back to what it was prior.

I just started taking Wellbutrin XL last Tuesday, and I've lost 8lbs.
Is that bad or normal?
I also haven't had an appetite for anything for the past 2 days. ?

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for over 2 months and I have lost 15 pounds. To some that might sound great but I was under weight to begin with! I can not eat on this medication now. This just started a week ago. I still have minor headaches in the evening and the dry mouth. Has anyone else been having really bad memory loss or is it just me?

Well many people who suffer from depression tend to have eating disorders or food addiction. Eating to fill a missing need. Food activates the dopamines just as a drug does. By taking wellbutrin you are filling that sensation, therefore you do not need the food. That would be my interpretation of why you loose weight.

To those of you who have lost weight on Wellbutrin...what is your dosage? It was just prescribed for me and I'm about to have my prescription filled. Also, I'll be switching from Paxil (20mg) to Wellbutrin. I hope it don't have withdrawal from Paxil. I tried to wean myself off it slowly last summer over three weeks, and felt really sick and out of sorts, and ended going back on it. Hope Wellbutrin works for the mood and the weight loss!

I'm hoping to lose weight on wellbutrin(i just started it yesterday but already I have no desire to eat..even when I am hungry).I was on Paxil for 6 years and I went from 150 to 215.(aka..sexy to gross). I went on paxil to treat anxiety(not depression) and it's made me so depressed I gotta go on another drug(wellbutrin) to treat my damn depression which paxil gave me because it made me get so fat! I need Wellbutrin to help. Paxil is the devil in my books.