I was suggested that in order to become faster and more successful swimmer I have to be stronger, have more power, stamina and endurance. I fail to see the real reason. Anyway I have decided to start lifting weights. After all, looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger can turn few female heads. I don’t know what exercises to use. Can you suggest the best weight workouts for swimmers?

You are absolutely right. Even without Maria, Hollywood and being the Governor it pays to be strong and have a nice body! Not to mention that stronger muscles can work faster, longer and give more raw power. Lifting weights is the best way to build muscles. You should develop the whole body. That means developing your chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps, lats, quads, hamstrings and calves proportionally. Lats are the most important muscle group for swimmers, especially for the front crawl stroke. So you would have to include at least one basic exercise for each major muscle group in order to develop well balanced and trained body. Don’t forget that a good nutrition plan and plenty of rest are essential.