Hello! I am 18 years old girl and I am overweight. I started a diet and I am looking for a proper kind of exercises. I wanted to know if weightlifting was only good for building muscle mass, or does it also helps burn calories. I would appreciate any reply! Thx!!!!

Hi there! Weightlifting is a very good way for burning calories, but one needs to know what the proper exercises are, and how they are performed. Somehow, I don’t connect girls and weightlifting. I would recommend you aerobics, maybe yoga and pilates if you are into group exercising, but running and swimming if you like to do it on your own. Good luck with losing weight!

Girls and weightlifting goes hand in hand. Girls get all the benefits if not more from weightlifting that guys do. Weightlifting increases bone density therefore decreasing the odds of osteoporosis, which is a big threat to women. Weightlifting increases metabolism and reduces fat just by increasing muscle mass. Muscle is much more dense than fat so you'll also look better, aka more muscle can fit in an area that was previously occupied by fat. Weightlifting versus aerobics has the benefit of 24 hours of increased metabolism and calorie burning, where aerobics lacks. A good weightloss program would include eating healthier/smaller/more frequent meals, weightlifting, and aerobic activity all together.

Losing weight is not an easy task. So one has to find an enjoyable way to loose weight. Weight Lifting does help, but only if you want to build muscle, because fi you are doing it to loose weight, you woudl do it for a week ro two and then you woudl loose the motivation. As you are a girl, I dont think that you would have any plans of buidling your muscles.

The first and most important thing is to check and balance yoru diet. You dont haev to control yoru diet. Always start yoru day with breakfast. A glass of milk, a couple of slices or anything, its Break-Fast, that is it shoudl be fast, dont eat a lot eat less that you can finish fast. Drink as much water as you can during teh day. There is not limit of drinking water in a day.

Eat Low Density food. This means that if you feel like eating something, instead of a candy bar or even a pack of buiscuits, eat a banana or an apple. If you are hungry and you eat 4 candy bars, I dont think that your hunger woudl be satisfied, but if you eat 5 bananas or 5 apples, you woudl be satisifed, though I dont think that you woudl eb able to eat 5 apples at oen time. But 5 apples have far far less calories than 5 candy bars.

Thast something about teh diet part. Now teh exercise, I woudl suggest that you do 2 things, Swimming and Dancing. I know being having extra pounds and going to swim would be a tough ask, but swimming is the best option. And dance, you dont need anything for that. Just clos eteh door fo yoru room, put any music you like (preferably some fast music) and just dance your heart out. I am not saying that you shoudl dance properly, just dance, even if you feel like hoping around during teh dance part, do it.

And teh best thing about all this is that it all costs nothing, totally free. The thing about workout is that you have to continue it liek forever. because if you start working out, definitely you woudl loose weight, but as soon as you stop working out, you woudl start putting the extra pounds back on your body and this tiem they woudl be more than before.

So whatever method you choose, choose the one that you woudl enjoy to do so that you can continue it. If you think that you woudl enjoy weight lifting then do that, but my suggestion for you is "Balance Diet + Swimming + dance + Aerobics(if you can)". In the end the decision is all yours. Keep Smiling

There are common points you should note in all the replies -- muscle burns more calories and is more dense (meaning you look thinner though you weigh more.) Beyond this point, ignore the macho talk about what a girl should or shouldn't do. My daughter weighs 165 lbs and if you saw her you would guess she weighs 140 lbs, and you wouldn't believe she that she a weightlifter (that is, no bulging muscle look) nor that she can lift 200 lbs over her head. The one point I would make is building muscle is NOT a short-term project in loosing weight. It works, but it takes time. Also, don't get discouraged at the start -- it's not uncommon to gain weight at first (but, you will loose inches.) Don't get discouraged (which point that was made that is very common-- for guys and for gals.)

:evil: THIS SEEMS LIKE A SEXIST REMARK. IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT WHILE YOU MAY BE BURNING MORE CALORIES DURING AEROBIC EXERCISE, WEIGHT LIFTING CONTINUES TO BURN CALORIES EVEN AFTER THE WORKOUT. YOU NEED TO DO MORE RESEARCH. CARDIO IS GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS HOWEVER WEIGHT LIFTING CHANGES THE SHAPE OF YOUR BODY AND YOU WILL BURN MORE CALORIES. MY ADVICE? WORK OUT THREE TIMES A WEEK. DAY 1 : CHEST AND TRIS DAY 2: BACK AND BIS DAY 3: LEGS, STOMACH. DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT ANDREI HAS TO SAY... I WOULD INCORPORATE 30 MINUTES OF CARDIO AFTER WEIGHT LIFTING.

andrei wrote:

Thanks for all of the great information! Losing calories is vital in an everyday diet, especially if you are burning the calories off by exercising and doing basic chores around the house. I have been using a site called Calories burned calculator that can count how many calories burned walking, running, biking, etc. Head on over and try it out!

Great thread! I just read that runners with more than 4 hours per week increase their at-rest calorie burn by 54%, thanks to increased mitochondrials in their muscle cells. Does that mean I must change how many calories burned? I keep track every day at this social fitness site where I enter my weight and look up hundreds of activities to see calories burned. I've made friends there, because no exerciser is an island. Great to have support! Keep it up!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Weight lifting is really good on helping you to build muscle, which certainly helps you to burn fat. Make sure to do a full body work out. And to include cardio.

If you have a stability ball, you should add that to your workouts. There are so many different exercises that you can do with it. Do a plank pose on one is so much harder than doing one on the floor. It makes you balance, therefore working your core more than you would otherwise. And you can do jackknives on the ball (I'm still trying to master that one without struggling to get to 10) Get down like you are going to do pushups, but put your feet on the ball. Then bring your feet in (on the ball) towards your chest. Return to starting position. See how far you get. I think that one works out most of your body.

Be Healthy,
Renee'

I am a fitness instructor and yes loads