Hi everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with pericardial effusion. 

I go to see my doctor about once a month and I'm actually a pretty healthy person. I haven't had any serious conditions or diseases in my life, I usually only catch flues and stuff like that. But the last time I saw my doctor, he did some tests and the results showed that I have pericardial effusion. I don't know anything about diseases and similar stuff because I was always healthy so I need some info about this.

Can you tell me what could have caused this condition and what are my treatment options for it?

Hey Alan,

I might be able to tell you a bit about pericardial effusion.

Pericardial effusion occurs when too much fluid builds up around the heart. The heart is surrounded by a double-layered, sac-like structure called the pericardium. The space between the layers normally contains a very small amount of fluid. When the amount of fluid exceeds the pericardium's "full" level, pericardial effusion puts pressure on the heart, causing poor heart function.

This is a very serious condition Alan, you need to take it seriously as it is. If this is left untreated, it can cause heart failure or even death.

Hey guys,

There are a lot things which could cause pericardial efuusion, Alan. I'll write them down for you as I remember them.

- Viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infections

- Inflammation of the pericardium due to unknown cause

- Inflammation of the pericardium following heart surgery or a heart attack

- Autoimmune disorders

- Waste products in the blood due to kidney failure 

- Underactive thyroid

- Spread of cancer (metastasis), particularly lung cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, leukemia

- Cancer of the pericardium or heart

- Radiation therapy for cancer if the heart was within the field of radiation

- Chemotherapy treatment for cancer

- Trauma or puncture wound near the heart

- Certain prescription drugs, including hydralazine, a medication for high blood pressure; isoniazid, a tuberculosis drug; phenytoin, a medication for epileptic seizures.

Hey everyone, My stepdad has pericardial effusion. Since they already wrote about causes and other stuff above, I asked him about the treatment options for it. Here's what he said. Treatment for pericardial effusion will depend on how much fluid has accumulated, what is causing the effusion, and whether pericardial effusion has caused or is likely to cause decreased heart function due to pressure on the heart. Right now, my stepdad is using aspirin, as anti-inflammatory drugs are good for treating this condition. He also said that colchicine might even be a better option for treating pericardial effusion, but he doesn't want to change drugs now.

Hey everyone. My aunt has pericardial effusion. It is the abnormal build – up of excess fluid that develops between the pericardium and that is the lining of the heart and the heart itself. Since pericardial effusions are a result of many different disease in patients anyone who develops one of the many conditions that can produce an effusion can be affected. This disease can be caused by many reasons such as infection – bacterial or viral, inflammatory disorders, cancer that has spread to the pericardium and kidney failure. The treatment is set up when doctors find the cause for pericardial effusion.

Hello everyone. Well somebody already mentioned the causes and I will try to introduce you the treatment for pericardial effusion. Like in many other things when we are talking about diseases, the treatment depends on its severity and its cause. Small pericardial effusions without any symptoms require no special treatment.

But usually treatment include: nonsteroidal anti – inflammatory drugs like Mortin, Indocin or even the Alebe, corticosteroid and colchicine.

Of course, your doctor will set the proper treatment for you when he find out what is the cause of your disease.

But I believe that treatment options are pretty much the same for everyone.

Hey there. There are so many causes of this. This disease happens because of inflammatory response very often. Pericardial effusion can occur when the flow of pericardial fluids is blocked or when blood accumulates within pericardium. It is not so clear how some diseases contribute to pericardial effusion, no one can explain that to you. That is why sometimes is very hard to determine what is the cause of it. But like I already told you, there are so many causes like viral or bacterial infections, hypothyroidism, cancer of the heart, radiation therapy for cancer, etc.

So many of them...

Hey guys.

My best friend from the childhood was diagnosed with pericardial effusion. It was really hard to determine the cause of this disease. Actually, they never found what is the real cause of effusion. So they did everything to find the best therapy for her. Now when I look at her I am almost sure that they found the best treatment option for her case. Very often it is caused by viral infection and the treatment is aimed at decreasing inflammation and controlling the pain. My friend is using ibuprofen for it. A lot of patients are using it.