Hello, folks. I suffer from atrial fibrillation. My doctor says I should convert my heart rhythm to a normal sinus rhythm. The method that he suggests is cardioversion. I would like to know what risks are related to this procedure. I would really appreciate this piece of info. Thanks in advance, guys.

Hello. Cardioversion can be related to some risks. One of them is a stroke. That is why you should be prescribed anticoagulants before and after the procedure. You must take them at least 4 weeks after this. You can also be left burns on the place where peddles were placed. Antiarrhythmics used before and after the procedure can cause irregular heartbeat. Cardioversion itself can have this effect as well. Cardioversion may not work at the first time. In that case, it can be repeated. You should talk to your doctor about this.