I had a colectomy a few months ago and it seems that I go to the bathroom with loose stools almost every time. Even when I urinate sometimes the stools also come out loose. There is very little solids.
I have been using Benefiber to bulk up. Is there anything else that I can do?

Typically, a person will receive only IV fluids for 2-3 days after a colectomy, to give the colon time to heal. After that, you will try clear liquids, such as soup broth and juice, followed by easy-to-digest foods, such as toast and oatmeal. You will be able to go back to your normal diet after this, but you may find some foods you used to eat are difficult to digest. You can avoid these foods for now. Over time, your body will adjust and you should be able to eat what you want.

Foods that sometimes need to be limited until your body adjusts to a colectomy include:

Raw vegetables
Skins and peels of fruit (fruit flesh is OK)
Dairy products
Very high fiber food such as wheat bran cereals and breads
Beans, peas, and lentils
Cakes, pies, cookies, and other sweets
High fat and fried food such as fried chicken, sausage, and other fatty meats

Foods, which are easily digestible, will decrease the amount or frequency of diarrhea: applesauce, peanut butter, bananas, potatoes,
boiled rice, pretzels, bread or toast, sugar-free cereals, cheese, Corn Flakes, tapioca, cream of wheat, weak teas, fiber supplements, yogurt and marshmallows.
Also if you have very frequent diarrhea, it can cause your body to lose fluids and you can get dehydrated, so you need to drink a lot of water also.

I know a few people who have had this problem. I think the most effective way to bulk up your diet is to start having a salad a day. I know that fiber supplements can help too, but natural sources really help quite a bit with your natural digestion as well. I personally find stuff like high-fiber cereal and bran to be awful, but I love a good salad, and it does help add bulk. IF after that you are still having loose stools, you might want to check with your doctor to ensure that everything is okay!

I had my colectomy about a year ago, and the take down about 3 months after. And yikes its been a year and if I ate a salad a day I would croak!!! I think its totally a matter of trial and error (unfortunately). Everybody is different and everybodys body will react differently just like people without gastro problems, some can tolerate more than others. Like I said its been a year for me, and I'm just figuring out all the quirks!! My surgeon also explained my stool will at most be the consistentcy of oatmeal---ever. I eat bran flakes quite often without any problems at all. Broccoli, steamed but not mushy is a good one too. I think its just going to take time and patience. Time being the key!!!! Again, it's been a year and I am finally starting to kind of feel "normal".. Good luck!!

dross wrote:

I had a subtotal colectomy back in 2004 the dr. that did my surg. removed all of my large intestons and colan and connected the small intestons straight to the bottom, and it has been horrible. Every dr. I have been to since then ask me where my bag is, and doesn't understand why I'm not bagged but neither do I. When I eat food goes straight thru me, but something I did learn is that I'm not suppose to eat any type of foods high in fiber and I'm not suppose to eat or drink any type of milk products, nor any foods that have seeds, no type of red meat, and no soups. I was also informed that when you sit down to eat do not drink anything with your food drink about 30 min. before you eat and 30 min. after you eat and it will help with the loose stools they say, but for me it doesn't seam to help because they took so much. I wish you the very best and you should talk with your dr. and see about them referring you over to a nutritionist. Once you have this surg. you are suppose to go to a nutritionist so they can go over the things you should and should not eat.

i've have the same issue as you. I've had all my large intestine removed and my small intestine goes straight to a man made rectum. It has been horrible for me for the past 2 years that I've been going through this. The weird thing is sometimes some foods upset your stomach and other times, they don't. So, you kind of have to go by trial and error and depending on the day. I've seen a few nutritionists but i don't think they can really figure out the issue either. The removing of the colon process isn't very new but i think the adapting after is. Weird... That's weird you say no red meat, red meat is what keeps me from running to the bathroom every 30 mins. I feel like the more protein I eat, less I go and veggies are a no no. But I guess this proves that everyone is different. Hope you are feeling better.

I had a total colectomy 3 years ago. Eating has been a challenge. Fresh fruit and veggies are difficult to eat. I do fine with cooked broccoli, green beans and squash. I do fine with meat and seafood. I feel I can't eat a healthy diet, beans and salads and fiber are a no no. The bad things are what I digest best. I'm still going 3-8 times a day. Do you think it is worth seeing a nutriitionist.

I had this surgery 10 yrs ago. Best thing I ever done for myself. I had your symptoms for a long time and still to this day I go a lot. I am finding almost everything I eat gives me gas or bloats me up. I think you need to eat several small meals. Hope this helps.

I find the healthy foods are the worst to digest too! It has been 10 yrs for me and it is still trial and error. Sometimes meat bothers me and other times it doesn't. Fish is hard on me but I love it. Bland foods are best. I feel my body has become dehydrated since surgery too. I can't drink enough!

i just had my colectomy a week ago and thank God , on 5th day, i can start my solid food like porridge. I strongly advise to start with porridge ( chinese rice porridge) as it helps control diarrhoea. It's proven with not only me but recommended by all doctors. Most important, no milk or diary products until your stoool is more solid. Today is 7th day after my surgery and my stool is good. ie soft but solid as I do not take any meat except . Hope this tips help. 

To me, a salad is a risky component of a meal.  In otherwise healthy people they are a great source of fiber.  But with me, salads and raw vegetables are not good when I'm trying to firm up and thicken loose stools.  My colectomy w/pouch was 2 years ago and I'm still trying to reach that 6 a day goal.  I'm thinking less carbs and dairy with more protein and try steaming vegetables and a multivitamin with B complex.  I started gaining weight after adding them to my diet.

I had my colectomy five years ago. For me, diet is a challenge because I can't eat a lot of "junk food" because of allergies. But, I have found that the BRAT diet and home made breads (with finely ground wheat) work very well. My first year's diet was mostly what one would eat during the flu. After about a year, my doctor encouraged me to build up my fiber intake to a side salad.

Raw vegetables were extremely difficult to process for me following my colectomy, due to the fact that they do not fully break down in the digestive tract. Therefore, I would not recommend salads. It has been a process of trial and error. Beans have also been a problem due to their phytate coating. This is also what causes excess gas which is painful, especially following this operation. After my surgery, I had to be readmitted to the hospital for an additional 4 days because of a small bowel obstruction resulting from diet. My advice is to be careful. Potatoes, cooked veggies like peas and carrots, and oatmeal have been mainstays of my eating plan.

The number one enemy for me has been oranges! They do not digest well and come out very pulpy. Seems like it might be great BUT they have a tendency to block me up completely and I was hospitalized early on just like EnvisionHealthCoachingorg due to it. Fruits and salads can do the same. People that haven't had this procedure cannot understand. Many times it won't give you a blockage but it can be extremely painful. I know that the question was posted quite some time ago but my best advice is to go slow. If you aren't sure, eat a small amount and see how it does. It is all trial and error for the first year or so, if not more.