New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

I have 1 black line underneath the fingernail on my thumb and forefinger of my right hand and 1 black line underneath the forefinger of my left hand. Where did these come from or what is the cause?

Does the black line run along the length of the nail rather than across? I assume it does and I believe that it's caused by a small release of blood under the nail, probably caused by a slight trauma to the nail. I don't think it's cause for concern and it will grow out as the nail grows.

I also have this black line running vertical across my nail. Its been here for about almost two years now on the same middle finger. I just want to know what excatly is it? and how to get rid of it? Because im fed up of people asking me "What is that on your nail!" And i have to make up a lie saying I got my finger stuck in a door cause idont know what this black line is. I had one before on my index finger on my left hand but it grew out in a couple months. But i find that this perticular black line on this nail Is not growing out anytime soon.

Kae -17yrz

Well same thing with me, would like to know what it is ofcourse, its on my thumb right in the middle and also verticle.

Mark - 19yo

Go to a dermatologist for a biopsy. It is often a mole, which could possibly be cancer.

Now u r the only person who has mentioned cancer. I was breezing through the tv channels one day and heard "When we will return we will give you ten signs of caner" or something to that affect and it was on that program, "The Doctors" which I never really watched, but for some reason that day I waited until the commercials were over with and do you know that one of the signs was the dark line running through the finger nail and I asked my doctor about it and she now have me being tested for cancer...lungs, liver, kidneys, breast, and cervix and she never disputed what was said.

Anyone who has this should ask your doctor about it maybe being a sign of cancer. ?

Please go to your dermatologist immediately and have them do a biopsy on the infected nail! I had the same symptoms and found out it was melanoma cancer and they had to amputate my middle finger... Good luck!

I have a slightly black line running diagonally across my right thumb nail. Is this a cause for concern?

Guest wrote:

I have a slight black line running diagonally across my right thumbnail. Is this a cause of concern?

It could be from God

A black line in the nail running from cuticle to end of nail can be a "SYMPTOM" of cancer, according to most of the medical societies. If the line is thicker in the cuticle area it "could" indicate that cancer is in a progressive state.

Guest wrote:

I have one black line on my left large toe--what is this?

i wish i had known to check for body changes... i am now faced with a radical vulvectomy due to melanoma of the vulva... i also have these lines.... three of, that i have discovered. grim times. :(

You should consult a dermatologist... It could be nothing but my son was tested for cancer due to a verticle line on his dominant thumb. It looked like someone drew it there with a black sharpie. Turned out to be ok but I would not take a chance...

Good luck and I pray it's nothing...

Did u ever get biopsy back?