Hello everyone,

I recently heard these two women talking outside the doctor's office, in the waiting room, about this anxiety type called health anxiety. Does anyone know anything about this? Apparently it has to be a big deal, at least that is what I concluded after hearing them talk about it. They said that it is really hard to treat and that some people are never able to overcome this because they are not strong enough mentally.

So my question here is if anyone can explain to me what exactly health anxiety is and what are the best ways for treating it.

Every kind of anxiety is a big deal because it lowers the quality of your life and it is really hard to treat.

Health anxiety is the same as hypochondria, have you ever heard of hypochondria? 

It is an anxiety disorder in which you are afraid about your health, you are always afraid that you are ill or that maybe you will easily get ill because of something. You are always scared that you are suffering from different diseases and conditions and that your life might be in danger and stuff like that, it is a very hard disorder to fight.

Thanks for the reply, and no, I have never heard about hypochondria before. Well, maybe I did hear about it somewhere at some point because the word sounds familiar to me but I never really knew what it was, that is until know.

I see, I think that I met a person who was always afraid about her health, always worrying that she is ill and stuff but I didn't really think of it as of a disorder or something, I just thought that she was simply like that. So what about the treatment options, how could this possibly be treated?

It's hard to treat it, it is always hard to treat mental disorders. You need to change how someone sees things, change their perception of things, I believe that psychologists and psychiatrists are those who play the most important role when it comes to treating mental disorders, as well as hypochondria since it is one of these. There are some lifestyle changes which could help but this is something that psychologist needs to decide regarding someone's current lifestyle. All in all it takes a lot of time and a lot of effort to at least learn how to cope with it, if not to overcome it.

Eating Boss basically told you everything that you need to know about this, I mean, there's more, but since you are not dealing with this disorder and you are not dealing with someone else who is suffering from this disorder, you don't really have to go deep in your "research" about hypochondria. Let's just say that it is indeed a really nasty disorder which only does harm to the person who is suffering from it and not to anyone else. It is always treated alongside with a psychologist, it cannot be treated without professional help (maybe it can, but it would be very hard).

Hi there. I am having issues with this type of anxiety. And it is not easy. People were convincing me that it is normal to be worried about your health, but this what happens to me it is a little bit too much. Yes, it is ok to worry about health, but it becomes a huge problem when start to affects your normal way of life. So, when you start to have certain symptoms such are different way you feel, different way you think, etc, that is a problem. And it requires for help. I was constant worried about my health, especially when I was pregnant and that cause anxiety for me.

Celebrity

This can begin to destroy your life if you don't seek for help. I mean it. You can easily recognize that you are dealing with it. For example, one of the main symptoms of health anxiety is that the individual may scan their body for signs that they are developing some certain physical illness.This means that when a person is experiencing health anxiety, this may interpret their headache as a brain tumour. I hope that you do understand now what this is. So, that is why seeking help is really important. People can go crazy when they constantly think about this. 

Celebrity

This type of anxiety can really damage your life, can stop you from living good and normal life. Yes, I agree that every anxiety is different, but this one can be really bad. I know one girl who was convinced that she has cancer and she went to see so many doctors, and they were not able to find anything. After that, they told her that she is probably dealing with anxiety but she didn't want to hear this.

This really destroyed her life, everyone were looking at her like she is crazy and she was at doctors all the time. 

Yes, and it is really sad. The only way to treat this is to talk to someone, with expert. Being hypochondriac can really affect your normal life. Again, the best thing to deal with it is cognitive behavioral therapy. It is for sure one of the best treatment options. This type of therapy includes:

- Self monitoring

- Identifying and challenging negative thoughts and trying to chase them out,

- it also includes modifying abnormal illness related behaviors.,

- when this all is over, the last step is Identifying and correcting core beliefs using disputation and behavioral experiments.

Good luck!