Resident

Hi everyone,

So I was recently addressed by two people who both asked for my advice and I told them that I will get back to them. One of these two people is suffering from panic disorder and has asked me to help him choose the best treatment for him. The second one is suffering from agoraphobia and she asked me to help her with the treatment as well because she doesn't know how is this treated in the first place. So here I am, asking you for an advice, what should I tell them, what are the best treatment options for panic disorder and agoraphobia?

Resident

I think that the best treatment in both of these cases is psychotherapy, since both of these things are mental disorders. There are medications to be taken alongside with psychotherapy but I wouldn't do that since I am against the use of medications, psychotherapy itself should be enough but if these people really want to use medications alongside with it, then they can, they seem to be useful anyway.

Agoraphobia is a really nasty disorder and it isn't easy to treat, it requires time, patience, and a lot of effort but it can be overcame, this person just needs to try hard enough.

I think that everything can be overcome if you try hard enough. A lot of things are recommended for people who are suffering from agoraphobia and who have panic attacks but I guess that all the people suffering from this should consult their doctors first before doing anything else.

Things like changing eating habits, changing their daily routine and exercising can contribute to the treatment of their panic disorders and agoraphobia. I think that running can help them a lot, they just need to start, that is the hardest thing, to start. But once they start, it should get a lot easier.

Why are they asking you for the advice? I mean, both of these disorders are some quite serious disorders and these people need to speak with their doctors in order to hear the best treatment options for them because not everybody is treated in the same way, the treatment depends on a couple of things and since their doctors have insight into their medical history, only they will know for sure what is the best treatment for them.

So I guess you can tell both of them to go and talk to their doctors in order to find out the best treatment options for them.

Resident

I don't know, they are friends of a friend who thinks that I know a lot about these things and he told them this, so they asked me for an advice. I will tell them the same thing that you told me, that they need to talk to their doctors first because I totally agree with what you wrote above. Plus, I don't want to give them an advice that will be proved bad and then I am guilty because it was my advice, I don't want to get into that kind of situation so it's best for them to simply talk to their doctors.

Hello. Depends. There are two types of the treatment that can help you - psychological therapy and medication. I think that you should avoid medications, but you will see what your doctor has to tell you. Anyway, depending on your certain circumstances, you may need one of these treatment types or a combination of the two. If your doctor decide that you should have therapy treatment, you will probably be in the form of cognitive behavioral therapy. That is the first step. In the case that this doesn't work, medication may be recommended. But anyway, before starting any form of treatment ask your doctor to tell you as much as he can about those medications.

Celebrity

I am aware that people in here do seek for certain help or advice, but I don't understand how you can come in here asking for the treatment. 

Once again, I do understand that some people are scared of the doctors, but that doesn't meant that you should avoid them. No! They should be your first option. We can only tell you about possible treatments but we cannot heal anyone in here.

Anyway,you need to know that no single treatment works for everyone and you may need to try a number of treatments before finding one that works for you. The treatment that's recommended will depend on your general level of health and that is why it is very important to visit doctor.

Good luck!

I disagree Hannah! We are here to share experiences and I didn't notice that someone is seeking for medications to heal alone some issue, without doctor. So calm down. For everyone who are interested to hear my story, I will tell you what was helpful for me - definitely it was psychological therapy which has proven beneficial in a long term and it's recommended for treating panic disorder. Someone mentioned CBT. Amazing! Well, CBT is thought to be one of the most effective psychological treatments for panic disorder and it involves having regular sessions with a therapist. At the beginning, I was really skeptical about this but after there treatments I saw that this is going in very good direction. And it helped me a lot.