Hello guys. I don’t know about you but I often hear people mentioning ‘’mother ‘’ when they talk about apple cider vinegars. I have no idea what that means. A friend once tried to explain me but I couldn’t understand a thing. She was saying something about some bacteria. Is that what this thing is? Bacteria? If you know anything about this, please inform me. I have recently decided to lose weight and I am hoping apple cider vinegar will help me with that. I don’t know is it better for me to find a vinegar that does or doesn’t contain mother.

Hi!

I will try to explain. Mother of vinegar is this substance that is made of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids. This involves  turning alcohol into acetic acid with the help of air, or better yet the oxygen from it. This is added to cider, wine or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar. The other name of  mother of vinegar is Mycoderma aceti (I think it’s Latin).

I am not sure about its health benefits (if there are any). The only thing I know is that it is not harmful or anything.

Hope I helped.

Hi guys..
You are right. Mother of vinegar is that slimy, jelly-like layer of film that usually forms on the top of the liquid of apple cider vinegar. Your chances to find it are best in organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. The acetic bacteria in the mother are usually killed by pasteurization in most of the non-organic vinegars.
I can assure you that the mother also has countless health benefits.
You can use it as a preventative tonic. It improves the immune system. It also helps circulation.
When you take it daily, it serves as an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It can also be used to clean a wound.