I just had a hemorrhoidectomy ( hemmroid surgery ). I had one Thrombosed Hemorrhoid. I went to the doc with complaint and i come out of the office 2 hours later with gauze between my cheeks. The doc explained to me what i had and how he was going to fix it. They did not tell me much about recovery until after the surgery. Its been 50 hours and its been touch and go. My first BM was the day after, not so bad. I used tucks pads to help wipe. But i did take two laxatives and fiber chewables plus have had a soft diet, applesauce, grapes, bread and plenty of water. I didnt have to take a bath afterwards. I was not able to lay flat so i slept on the couch and propped my legs up a little. I can't walk very fast but i can walk. Sitting is fine once i get situated. the process to sit takes about 30-45 seconds to figure out what feels good. I have small amount of drainage/bood. I use the cream they gave me after every restroom vistit rather BM or not. I take Advil and painkillers the doc gave me.

My problem was my third BM, i'm not sure what happened i had a soft BM but oh my the pain during and after had me shaking. I couldn't get in the shower fast enough, i was crying it hurt so bad. ( i have had gallbladder, appendix and right ovary and F.tube removed so i no pain) this was bad pain. I took a shower and let the water run, after i got out i took a pain pill. I'm only on my 2nd day and i don't feel horrible HOWEVER i don't let the pain meds wear off. If i had to give any advice iwould say, Dont let the pain meds wear off because when they do, it's a nightmare. I still have discomfort even with 10mg's of Vicodin and Advil and 5% lidocaine cream on the skin.

I have learned that Ice Cream increases the burning pain. I learned he hard way. I ate a sandwich the next day after surgery and it gave me the runs, watch your diet the first couple of days.

I don't know how long it will take to heal, i will post again to let people know my experience.

thanks for sharing 'sometroubles'. i have my surgery scheduled next Thursday (5/29) and a bit anxioux, but I know I need to have the surgery to remove the skin tag from a thrombosed hemorrhoid several years ago and that was painful. Im having surgery because I get prolapsed every BM and that is a little bothersome and some hygiene issues there.

Was your procedure done the traditional way using a scapel?

Wishing you a fast recovery.

So its been 1 week and 1 day. 5/15/08 i had surgery. Let me start by saying, i really never want to do this again, however I am doing very well now. Not back to 100% normal, but doing better then some post i have read.

I left off on day 2, so day 3 was hard still. The BM's i'm having are normal soft no straining, but the pain during and after is almost unbearable, shaking, praying, crying, running for the tub or shower. then the what i call after shocks last about 1-2 hours and get better as time goes by. Also on day 3 i decided to go to Target to get out of the house. I was there maybe 15 mins and was tired of walking. It hurts to walk still. I can not bend over or hardly pull up my pants. I am doing a lot of resting. I have not done anything i didn't have to. ( I have 2 kids 15 and 8) I pretty much said please ask Dad when they needed something. My diet is still soft foods and i'm taking 2 chewable fiber pills. No laxatives as i react to them badly. I still put preparation H on after every visit to the restroom regardless of BM or not. CLEAN, keep the area clean.

Day 4 - Not going to work yet - I did nothing but sit on the couch and rest. I started taking Vitiam C 500mg. I read a post from someone that swears by it.
I'm still walking with a limp, taking showers after BM's but the daily pain is fine as long as i am sitting. getting up and down is still a little hard. Not as painful. Still using preparation H after the restroom. Keeping the area cleaned and still using guaze. Oh the guaze issue. I have about 6 boxes of gauze because i can't find one that works. It will not stay in place with or without cream usage. BUT i finally found one that works better then the rest. if the doc gives you some ask for extra. Today my BM is about the same.. still hurts to the bone. I can't believe how much it hurts and how long it hurts after the BM. I can understand during but after it hurts so bad. the shower or tub helps. I'm taking 1 pain pill today and they rest of the day Advil. 600mg

I finally ate real food. I had 1/4 plain grilled chicken breast, lipton package noodles about 2 tbsp and 2 tbsp of stuffing ( small amounts) All was find. I was worried about an upset stomach. But it was fine. *Note i'm still taking fiber pills and eating a light diet. No soda, tea, dairy. Mostly bread, fruits, applesauce, dry ceral, some chocolate candies.

Day 5 - - Not going to work yet. I still can not bend over all the way without pain. I can dress with no pain. Still taking vitiam C 500mg. 600mg Advil.
I am resting, resting resting. Not sleeping just not doing house cleaning, laundry, picking up, helps kids. I do as little as i can. I still have 50 years to live. being lazy so my butt can feel better faster, so be it. I'm only 32!
I am taking Advil only. No more pain pills. Today i had grapes, strawberries, PBandJ, and i was brave and have taco's for dinner. I figure that its time to re-introduce normal foods as long as i am taking fiber. I never really got constipated that much so i was not worried about that too much, the fiber seems to help. The doctor gave me Hydrocortisone Enema,so the 5th night is when i did it. I was nervous. I followed the instructions and the only problem was i was not squeezing the bottle hard enough. I thought at first i was doing it too hard because some was coming out..but i think it was right.
Day 6 - Still at home not at work.
I feel pretty good today. I can get up better and sit faster. I dont even think about getting dressed, i just do it. Walking slower then normal still. But then there is that painful BM still. Seriously i would rather give birth again, BM's are so painful...but needed so the area doesnt heal to tight, that would be bad. Taking Vitamin C 500mg, Advil, fiber pills and i stopped the cream because today i called my doctor and they said not to keep the area moist as it could take longer to heal. So i stopped that right away. Eating foods that are good for me. egg sandwich, PBandJ, cantalope, dry ceral, applesauce drinking plenty of water and juice.
Day 7 - 1 week later - I GO BACK TO WORK!!!! i was soo nervous to go to work, what happens if i have to have a BM while at work. Thank goodness i had one that morning before going to work. ( which is not normal that time of day) thank you god! AND the good news, it was the first BM i had that i did not have to take a shower or bath afterwards. It did hurt during ( which i just took deep breathes) it hurt after but 1/3 the pain i have ever had since the surgery...i seriously no kidding did one of those through your fist in the air and said yeah! So i go to work with no worries as i never have more them one BM a day. Sitting at a computer all was ok, i did get up and walked a little here and there. I felt much better. Getting up and down was not as bad, on a scale from 1-10 i would say 2 when sitting or getting up. today was a little different with my diet, I'm not good at taking food to work. I had granola bar for breakfast, wheat thins for a snack, salad for lunch and dinner was get this Lions Choice roast beef sandwich and fries. ( NO SODA) soda is bad for at least 2 weeks.
Day 8 - Friday - today - I go to work. Only taking Advil 400mg, I will take my vitiam C before bed. I have a bagel with a little butter as you should still not have diary. For lunch i was not so good, i was busy at work...a bag of MW popcorn. For dinner i had ready for this Pizza. Now after i ate dinner i was worried about upset belly, so i don think i will eat pizza again. I don't want to get diarrhea. So back to mid day. I'm sitting at my desk and oh no, that feeling of needing to have a BM. NOOOO, not at work WHAT IF?? But i have to, i can't hold it in, it would make things worse. So i go into the restroom and i did bring Prep H with me to work just incase, i walk into the restroom, get some paper towels wet with cold water. I have my BM - Not one problem. hurt very little during and no after shocks.
Now today i did feel a little discomfort walking afte about being at work for 6 hours.

If you have to go through this, i hope you the best. If you have a question as you see i have not trouble telling you what i did.

Ps i am not proof reading or spell checking - sorry for errors

Pain in stomach, nausea, itchy anus and swollen wounds were something that followed me during my recovery process.

I was scared and alone and I didn't know how to behave in this situation.

It is hard to tell how long this recovery process will last. One thing is sure - you can expect to feel better each day, but only if you follow your doctor advice, if you use medications that he prescribed to you and if you use hemorrhoids cream properly. In this case, your recovery process is guaranteed. Sure, you will feel some pain and you will cut off some of your daily activities.

For example, I was gym freak but this all just stopped when I did this surgery. Even two months after this process. I was perfectly fine but I was scared.

And that is normal...I think...

Here is that link to the vitiam C report i was talking about.

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0876/is_n73/ai_17381633

I realize that this post was started a few years ago, but, I am fascinated with the topic and detail of it. I have had issues with a hemorrhoid and went to see my doctor about it. She in no subtle way discouraged me from having surgery. She recommended eating plenty of fiber foods, drinking water, and getting plenty of exercising as a way to manage it.

I have to say that it has not really bothered me, but, it's still there.

If SomeTroubles is still online or active here, I would love to hear what is going on with you now that it's several years later. Was the surgery worth it?

For me it was totally worth it.

You'll find a lot of people here with their personal experiences about hemorrhoidectomies. Here's a thread with a lot of testimonials:

Here's my own personal daily journal after hemorrhoidectomy:

There are different types of hemorrhoids and different degrees of severity. If you have very early stages of hems, then maybe changes in diet will cure you. If your hems are more advanced, the only option is surgical intervention. There are different types, and hemorrhoidectomy is the last resort. Since it sounds like you don't have very bad ones yet, other less painful options to consider are: THD, stapling, banding. You can save yourself a lot of pain by taking care of your problem sooner rather than later. Speak with a GI specialist. Don't take your general practitioner's word for it.

@oceanarcher

thank you for your reply. Yeah, I guess I have it pretty good compared to some.

I definitely will take your advice. I am not really interested in surgery.

It should take fastest 2 weeks for a proper recovery, and longest maybe around 6 weeks. It varies very widely among individuals, but make sure to avoid prolonged sitting and food irritants like caffeine if you want to speed up the process.

Just had surgery on Monday Aug 4th...my second time for hemmorroids.I was told it could come back..and it did.this time around it has been more painful..especially going to bathroom...I try to drink water...the first couple of days I could not pee...sitting up..now I have to go to work after a week and I still feel so much pain..