Yesterday marked 4 weeks since surgery. I still have mild-to-moderate pain during BMs and the burning afterwards can last 2-6 hours. Some days are clearly better than others. However, once that pain does go away I'm fine and functioning at about 70% of normal.

One of the most discouraging aspects of recovery has been the drainage of pus. It's usually white/yellowish and overall in small amounts. But it doesn't seem to be getting better. I still see small amounts of blood during BMs, but not at any other time. I keep the area clean and take several baths a day.

I had my first post-op appointment today with the surgeon. He wasn't too concerned about the pus at this time. He felt the drainage was coming from the surgery sites (3 hemorrhoids removed) and not from the anal fistula that was my original problem. Because I'm still in discomfort he spared me the extensive examination but said if it doesn't stop within the next month I'll have to go in and be put under so he can clean it up. He said it's very rare that has to be done, but that would be the next step.

? So my question to those that have gone through the surgery, is when did you stop seeing any discharge after surgery?

I'm not accustom to healing so slowly and I'm frustrated it's taking so long. I was expecting 2-3 weeks of recovery with only occasional mild discomfort beyond that. I feel I'm at least 2-4 weeks away from that point.

Ok, since no one cared to respond to my post I'll now answer my own question.

It took me exactly 8 weeks for all the drainage to finally stop. After the first 4 weeks the pain had more or less all gone away. The only thing remaining was the drainage. It seemed like it took forever for it to stop. I have never experienced anything that took so long to heal from.

Today I am pain and roid free. It's a very nice feeling.

Hi guys, I'm Mark. I'm also concerned about this problem because it's something that's different from one man to another. My sister had also went through the same procedure and I can assure you that it's nothing to worry about. The best case is 2 to 3 weeks but that would've been perfect. It took 8 to 9 weeks for my sister to heal completely and we were also concerned. She had pretty big amount of blood in her stool and went to see a doctor a few times. He just told her that it's normal and there is no reason to worry. I'm sure it will pass in a month, don't worry. 

Hi guys, I'm Mark. I'm also concerned about this problem because it's something that's different from one man to another. My sister had also went through the same procedure of anal fistula surgery and I can assure you that it's nothing to worry about. The best case is 2 to 3 weeks but that would've been perfect. It took 8 to 9 weeks for my sister to heal completely and we were also concerned. She had pretty big amount of blood in her stool and went to see a doctor a few times. He just told her that it's normal and there is no reason to worry. I'm sure it will pass in a month, don't worry. 

Glad to hear you have fully recovered. Since my surgery was on 2/5/10 I am slightly behind in recovery, but not too far (hopefully).
Thanks for all your help in the process!

Dear Myassisonfire and others who can advise me,
I did my surgery on 15 Mar 2010. It has been two weeks and I still have light yellowish discharge which are not pus as they are quite light and non sticky. I do not know whether they are from the wound or fluid from stool that seeps out (an effect of incontinence?). Can I know the kind of drainage you mentioned which lasted for 8 weeks- are they light yellowish liquid?

Many thanks,
Charlie

I did my surgery on 15 Mar 2010. It has been two weeks and I still have light yellowish discharge which are not pus as they are quite light and non sticky. I do not know whether they are from the wound or fluid from stool that seeps out (I am not sure if incontinence will lead to this leakage). Can I know the kind of drainage you mentioned which lasted for 8 weeks- are they light yellowish thin liquid?

Many thanks,
Charlie

I am 42 had open heart surgery in 2007 for mitral valve replacement.I had internal hemorrhoid surgery march 11th and on March 23rd I followed up with my primary doctor complaining of severe pain still.He gave me a lecture of having withdrawls from the pain medicine percocetts (Oxycodone) but after doing an exam he said dude,you have a serious infection.He actually increased my oxycodone to 7.5 mgs and told me to take more warm sitz baths,hot as I can stand it.It is now March 29th and I am weaning off the pain meds,haven't had one at all today.I still have 20 pills left.I am trying to stand the pain.It is still pretty severe.I don't think the antibiotics he gave me did much.The area is still red and leakage.I use medimusel the walmart brand,but now I am having night sweats and during the day my hands and feet sweat.I am gaining too much weight.I was 160.and gained up to 173 in 4 days.Also now I am 168.1 pounds.I also have swelling in feet and legs and shortness of breath and headaches.I wonder if I should go back to the emergency room?
I feel bloated in stomach and must be retaining fluids.I might try waiting for another week before I decide to go to hospital.Because my next doctor apointment isn't until April 14th.That's too long..

I surely hope you went to the ER immediately and did not wait! It sounds like your kidneys are not working. This happened to my Dad and we had no clue what was happening. I really hope that you went and all is well now that it's been over a year.

I hate that you did not get anyone to answer your concerns regarding your situation with your recovery. my son is going through THE EXACT SAME THING. He is 4 weeks into recovery after extensive hemorrhoid surgery and he is having all your side effects with his healing. His doctor also told us the same thing your doctor told you. We have kept the doctor on the loop off all my son outs dealing with but we hope he see an end in another 4 weeks as you did. Thanks for your post.

I am sorry nobody replied to you before. Thanks for replying to your own post, you gave me a good idea.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op. And still see some drainage and blood. Basically I need to give it more time, the pain has reduced but it's still uncomfortable sometimes after BMs.

Hope you are doing fine now and remian that way. And thanks again for sharing.

I just had my surgery December 29, 2015. It has been 3 weeks. i still have pain and the discharge. Your answers just really helped.I was thinking I may not be healing correctly. Everyone makes me feel like I should be better. This is the second hemorrhoidectomy but this time I had a rectocele repair also. I realize I am 50 now and my body is different than 5 years ago, but some days after a bowel movement, I have to lay down for hours. I have taken myself off of the pain meds because I was told they contributed to constipation. I just want to be normal again.

i had my surgery in september that is 6 months ago and had 3 hammoroids removed.im still in painnot constantly and still have yellowish white liquid coming out of one of them.I also have skin tags.Surgeon said he would need to operate again to remove them later.I wonder if anyone has had my same outcome or smilar.

Thanks i ve got my answear before to ask my question !!!!very helpfull

It's nearly three weeks since my op . BM pain stopped after 10 days or so . My second BM after the op felt like I was passing a brick ! Severe pain and sweating followed by a mild case of shock , shivering , feeling sick and nearly passing out which luckily cleared after 20 mins or so . BM's after that gradually got better so no need for trepidation on the way into the toilet , hooray ! The mucus discharge is still there , it's so uncomfortable having to unstick the pad when standing up but it's so good not having to get into the shower after a BM to push the lumps back inside ! I've changed to a high fibre diet with prune juice which seems to make BMs nice an easy ! Cheers Ross