I’ve started cycling this year and I’m still not completely acquainted with this kind of lifestyle. I know that besides cycling itself there are other ways of exercising which every cyclist is supposed to practice. A friend told me that I should have hard workouts at a certain period. Can you tell me when to intensify workouts and how to organize exercising plan?

As you know, cycling season lass from spring to winter and during that time you should focus primarily on cycling itself. You can practice running and lighter workouts. But when its off-season, that is during the winter you move to a gym and start with workouts. You’ll stay there throughout the winter and at the beginning your training, you should intensify your workouts and the weights you lift are supposed to be heavier with fewer repetitions. This regime is meant to increase your strength and to build your muscles. As the season approaches you can gradually switch to lighter weights and more repetitions. This kind of regime is used for shaping up. You can practice running both in the season and off-season.