I have "normal" skin that is neither dry nor oily, but I am nearly 40 and hoping to work towards anti-aging. I have heard about anti-age serums containing hyaluronic acid and vitamin C, but I am not sure which is better and what really works well for wrinkle reduction and prevention. I will also need brand and product recommendations. 

What serum is working well for you? What anti-age ingredients should I not miss out on in an anti-age serum? And which products should I definitely give a miss? Whatever tips you have about anti-aging serums, please share them here!

Celebrity

Oooh... with so many excellent anti-aging serums on the market today, that is an incredibly hard question to answer. At the end of the day, there is simply no such thing as "the best" anti-aging serum; just the one that you are most happy with!

• Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless repair serum is both natural and budget-friendly. It will work best on dryer skin types. 
  • Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculping Serum is one of those uber-mainstream products that just has to be mentioned. Many are happy with it and it has no added fragrances, which some people prefer.
  • Estee Lauder Perfectionist Wrinkle Lifting/Firming Serum is an awesome product as well. My mom uses that and I've tried it. Smells bad, but works well. 

Celebrity

Well, I know that you specifically asked for "serums", but I thought I should throw this out there: Retin-A is an excellent, and I mean really excellent, anti-age treatment that many people the world over absolutely swear by. It was originally developed as an anti-acne treatment but really does wonders for wrinkles and elasticity as well. It is prescription only, but an over the counter version called retinol is widely available and also works well. What do you need to be careful of when you are on vitamin A derivatives like these is to use a sunscreen properly, because they increase your sensitivity to the sun. 

Rosie

Well, have you heard of Skinceuticals Blemish + Age Defense? It is something I found out about just today and looks very, very good. According to Skinceuticals, this serum is designed for aging skin that is prone to breakouts. It unclogs pores, reduces sebum production and blotchiness, and works on wrinkles as well. The downside is that one bottle costs $90. I am currently considering buying it and if I do, I will definitely consider it as a medical treatment rather than a beauty product. Creative accounting, right guys?

Hello there,

I am using Cosmedica 100 % pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Hyaluronic acid is a magic anti age ingredient! Its secret lies in the fact that it is 100 % body identical and that it holds onto moisture like crazy. If I recall correctly, one hyaluronic acid molecule can attract 50 water ones, or something like that. However it works on the molecular level, after using it for about four months now, I can tell you that I look a lot younger and more rested than I used to. Amazing medical grade cosmetic that I would recommend to basically anyone.

Health Advisor

I hear you there... the choice on the market is so overwhelming with new stuff seemingly coming out every week that it's hard to choose what serum you want and even harder to know which one is really the best for you. Thankfully for you your skin sounds like it's easy to deal with so anything will probably be good for you!

Some options for anti age serums:

- Paula's Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate serum, with vitamins C, E and antioxidants

- Px Prescriptives Super Line Preventer Extreme, which has good reviews

- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Serum, the creme de la creme of anti age serums for sure but the price tag sure shows that

I don't even know what an anti-age serum is! I am in my 50s and people tend to say I look younger. They think I am at least 10 years younger than what I actually am which surprises me. I think that the key lies not in what creams you use nor how many wrinkles you have, but whether you have a nice smile on your face and a positive attitude. I am sure not eating meat helps a bit as well. But having said that, for day to day skincare, I use Argan oil and I am very happy with it. It keeps my skin hydrated and helps it looks smoother. Yet it doesn't feel greasy in the least. Sometimes I take a detour and use almond oil instead, which is also very nice and has anti-age properties. I don't know whether that answers your question but it works for me.

I have been using Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair for years and years now, and though I am still not all that fond of the smell, the way it makes my skin feel and look more that compensates for that little issue. I started using it when I was 30, and I'm now 42. I know, of course, that nothing except dermal fillers and plastic surgery keeps your face from visibly aging forever, but as far as serums go I think Advanced Night Repair does a beyond excellent job at keeping wrinkles at bay and maintaining skin elasticity.

Hi!

Have you looked at Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair serum? It works well thanks to retinol, hyaluronic acid and glucose complex. I have been using this for a while already and I would say my skin looks plumper, more moisturized, and more elastic. Fewer wrinkles? No, but they are less visible for sure. Unlike some serums this one is not too heavy, it has a pleasant feel on the face.