New Reply New Topic Followed by 10 people

I am interested in the docs that do the most procedures with successful results using minimally invasive radiocontrolled methods

Look up Babak Larian at advancedonc.com. He welcomes questions. There are people who do more parathyroid surgeries, numberwise, but he does them on a weekly basis and is known for his meticulous procedures.

The best surgeon that I know who is located at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, Ohio is
William Farrar M.D. Give his office a call at 614 293-8890. He was the second surgeon who operated
on me and he got the bad gland easily and removed it!

The first surgeon i went to did'nt have a clue what he was doing and he took two of my perfectly
normal glands out.

HE IS TERRIBLE!!! STAY AWAY FROM HIM: HE WAS MICHAEL D. MARTYN OF OHIO ENT SURGEONS
IN COLUMBUS, OHIO ---- STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!!!!

Bob

I have had two surgeries by Dr. Michael Martyn and consulted with him regarding the possibility of another. I found him to be very professional and competent. He is personable and quite willing to answer as many questions as you may have, completely different than most surgeons of any specialty. He also follows up thoroughly. I recommend him to anyone and will see him again if the need should arrive.

Guest wrote:

Hi; I guess I am shocked that you had two surgeries performed by Dr. Martyn. He only operated on me once and I then knew that
he didn't know what he was doing because he took two perfectly normal parathyroid glands out and sewed me back up. He didn't
have a clue where the bad gland was located and my calcium levels were still as high after the operation! He then proposed to take out
half of my thyroid and said that hopefully the bad gland was embedded there. That's when I told him that he wouldn't touch me
again and found a better, experienced surgeon at the James Cancer Hospital. They did a lot of tests there, where Martyn only had
done one and found out that the bad gland was in my chest area. They were able to open the incision tha Martyn made and widen it
some and pull up the bad gland and remove it. I was so glad that I went to see Dr. Farrar at the James, because he really knows
what he's doing, he doesn't just go in an explore! I feel much better now, except I have to take 6500mg of calcium daily because I now
only have one parathyroid gland. I also filed a complaint with the medical board against Dr. Martyn because I don't think he is
qualified to do this kind of surgery!!! Bob

I've heard that Dr. James Norman from Tampa hospital in Florida was the best for this surgery, doing 8 to 9 of these a day. Plus he invented the probe that finds out which gland is bad. Anyone else ever heard of him?

Anonymous wrote:

Hi: If you live close to Columbus, Ohio, there is an experienced surgeon there at the James Cancer Hospital who also does this kind of
surgery. He performed my surgery in March, 2009, and did an excellent job. I didn't have the MIPR but I think he does this procedure.
If you are interested call his office at 614 293-8890. I try to help people because I know how hard it was for me to find a reputable surgeon.
Oh, I forgot, his name is Dr. William Farrar.
Good Luck, Bob

There's no doubt that Dr Norman has done more parathyroidectomies than any one else. That's all he does. I have to admit that there is lots of good information on his website but it is not always the instant miracle cure that he promises.

If you want a surgeon who will answer all your questions ahead of time and care about you personally before, during and after surgery, contact Dr Larian in Los Angeles. He is nice and easy to talk to and he won't charge more if you don't live across the street from his office. He is an excellent surgeon and uses the radio probe when necessary. mass

The best ??? Dr. Michael Yeh @ UCLA. Had surgery 2wks ago. It took less than 40mins. Dr. Yeh's team is caring and professional. A very positive expierence!!!

Dr James Norman, Dr Douglas Politz and Dr Goodman all of the Norman Parathyroid Center of Wesley Chapel,FL. Operating at the special Parathyroid Wing of Tampa General Hospital are the experts to see for curing this complication. I am six weeks cured after a 16 minute outpatient surgery. Removal of 22mm x28mm tumor making 1552 uits of hormone. Five week blood test normal. Calcium level 9.4,PTH 23.
I was #10 of 12 performed that day. Tampa on Wed, surgery on Thursday, fly home on Friday.

The best I know in Los Angeles is Dr. Alen Cohen in West Hills. I had surgery with him 10 days ago after consulting with two other surgeons. The surgery took 40 minutes, I went home 3 hours later without pain, voice issues or swallowing issues. I was back at work 2 days later and can barely see my incision already. He did a plastics closure too. His number is 818-888-7878.

I live in Idaho and had my first parathyroid surgery the end of December, 2010. He took an enlarged parathyroid.   It was not a success.  I then had a second surgery (by the same surgeon) the middle of April, still not a success.  He cut out lymph nodes and the left lobe of my thyroid hoping to get something, but failed.  It is the middle of May and my voice and swallowing are still very much effected.  I think the Dr. did the best he could, but living in Idaho our communities are quite small and the number of these surgeries are quite small, I'm sure.  I have heard of Dr. Norman in Florida, but his fees are way to expensive for me and he is clear across the country.  I would love to hear of a great surgeon closer to the Mountain West who has had success rates with parathyroid surgeries as good as Dr. Norman.  Certainly, he can not be the only Dr. with success rates in the 98%  range!  Help!

Lisa

The surgeons where I live say my parathyroid surgery is too dangerous because years ago I had regular thyroid surgery. I am considering Dr. Norman's team. The procedure seems so fast, could it really be that easy???

I don't know why your past thyroid surgery would affect parathyroid surgery unless they think they wouldn't be ablr to find the parathyroids. I have had two parathyroid surgeries and each time one thyroid lobe was removed for an unrelated reason. I think that for some people the surgery is as fast and easy as DrNnorman says but I know that is not true for everybody. It is not an instant miracle cure.

I do not care about speed - I wanted things done carefully and thoroughly. I have found recovery to be quite easy but there is always the possibility of complications. I would sugggest that you look up the website of Dr Babak Larian then call him and discuss your situation. He is an excellent surgeon and is also very caring. I think you will find him very helpful.

I am in the Houston, Texas area & at a complete loss for finding a good parathyroid surgeon.  Any suggestions would be helpful