New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

His people said they could not help me and sent me a bill for 1700.

I'm LOOKING FOR A SKILLED MIRD parathyroid SURGEON in Ohio? ANYONE HAVE GOOD RESULTS?

Oh my goodness! There is no reason why you should have had THREE surgeries if they were ALL parathyroid removals! The Dr. SHOULD HAVE checked ALL FOUR parathyroid glands during the first operation and removed all three at once. Generally these are slow growing tumors so they would have been abnormal. AND.... ALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR PTH OUTPUT DURING FIRST SURGERY. Shameful!!

Who did you find in pa and how did it work out?

I have heard of him as I was searching for a Parathyroid surgeon on line. He had impressive reviews on line from his patients. He invented the tool used to monitor Parathyroid glands before proceeding with surgery so as to only remove affected gland. He does 13 to 15 Parathyroidectomies daily, Mon,. thru Fri.. I feel experience is vital. I live in Pennsylvania, I have to consider plane fare, hotel room consultation fee, but, I want the best, closest to me in location. Dr James Norman fee for phone consult if in another state is close to $1, 700.00. I will consider Dr. Wm. Farrar. Not sure yet. Gerri.

I was told that Dr. Rustard in Boise is very good and the best for upper West states is Dr. Haler in Missoula, MT. That is who I was referred to by excellent Endocrinologist that I see. I am on round 3 for removal of my last parathyroid and have had all my thyroid removed years ago. She wants me to see the best available due to repeat surgeries in my neck and paralysis of 1 side of my vocal cords from final thyroid and 2 more parathyroid gland removal. There are a lot of nerves that run up and down in the neck and repeat surgeries get more and more dangerous each time. I was told 1 in 10 chance then that I would have end up with a trachea/stoma. I hope my luck holds out again. It has been 20 years since my last surgery and bound to be lots of scar tissue to deal with in there.

Dr John E Pay, M D at OSU hospital is one of the top 3 surgeons in Columbus, Ohio doing Parathyroid surgery. You should Google him to learn more about him. I am having this surgery soon.

Can you elaborate on this, please? Their website claims that if they determine you are not a candidate for surgery, or if it turns out you don't have a parathyroid adenoma, then they will reimburse half of this fee. Are you saying that is not what happened?

Looking for a great parathyroid surgeon in PA, OH areas any to recommend?

Have anyone found a skilled surgeon in the Chicago area?

Yes, Dr Norman is suppose to be the best. If I lived in Florida or near rhere I would have him do my parathroid surgery in a blink of an eye. I was diagnosed over 2yrs ago almost 3 and I am getting worse everyday. I do not know who to trust to do i, besides him. My insurance will not pay for an out of.state Dr. I live in Las Vegas. I am so scared.

Hi Jane- I'd call them again if it's been 2 months. There must be some part of your paperwork they haven't received yet, and I was warned about this by friends who've been there and the fine print on the paperwork I downloaded.

For my experience, after a couple weeks after submitting my new patient forms and my own copies of lab work and not having heard back from the Norman Center, I went to MY primary care doctor's office and filled out her office's HIPPA release, with the staff present, and referring to the Norman website to ensure everything needed was faxed all at the same time.

Here's the sequence and timing of the events:
I went to my PCP office and did paperwork with staff last Thursday (June 28)
I called/emailed Norman clinic to alert them to expect the reports on Friday morning, and I received a confirmation email and phone call from Norman clinic Friday (June 29) that the info had been faxed from my Dr. to their clinic.
I got an email Sat morning from Norman clinic saying charts had been completed and were being sent to surgical team for review (Sat June 30), and was informed at this time it usually takes 7-10 days for the surgical team to review charts and call me for my consultation.
In reality, I was called by Dr. Norman for consultation yesterday morning (July 3)-- but my blood work numbers were "thru the roof" and as the duration of my illness is likely 10+years, the surgeon made it clear that I can't afford to delay my decision on surgery very long, as the symptoms I've been experiencing for several months are often very debilitating-- verging near or into what is called hypercalcemic emergency, I believe is the term??

So while your response time may not be quite this fast, if your numbers and symptoms are not yet life threatening-- that is the sequence of contacts you can expect once all your paperwork is complete. So please, I urge you, call them and find out what the state of your paperwork is, and if there's some small bit missing, and then go do it yourself if you have to. :)

Check Dr. John Olson - University of Maryland in Baltimore. According to 2014 Medicare Lookup Tool he performed 36 parathyroid surgeries that year. This is more than doctors at the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins.
I have an appt. in August to see him.

Yes. I have just returned from Tampa where he leads a team of surgeons in the Parathyroid Centre in Tampa General Hospital. The facility is one of the best and the team of surgeons are superb. I had my procedure there and I was delighted with the results. Well worth going to see him as he is highly experienced as is his team.