Hello. It seems that my niece has some issues with anxiety. I noticed this one month ago and I told this to my sister. Of course, in the beginning, she didn't believe me, but since I work with kids I can recognize the symptoms.  Anyway, she took her to the doctor "just in case" and the doctor told her that there are some elements of separation anxiety, but he explained to her that this is somehow normal for some kids and that they usually get over it. 

I want to know one thing - why do children experience separation anxiety? Why this became such a huge problem lately?

Hey. It is normal for kids to experience anxiety in children. This is one of their ways how to fight when they are about to meet something that they didn't meet before, or when they need to leave their environment and their parents won't go with them. When we are talking about babies, they take over this issue very fast. On the other hand, teens taking this a little bit harder and not that easy as the babies. You need to be aware that kids also fake this sometimes because they don't want to go to school or they don't want to be with anyone else but their parents. But this faking you can easily notice...

Activist

Good day there. Look, generally, separation anxiety becomes a normal stage of emotional development in kids and that type of development usually starts when babies begin to understand that things and people exist even when they're not present.most babies or toddlers will show true anxiety and become upset because of the reality that they are into. But that is normal. It usually stops when the kid turns 18 months.  It is little harder with teen kids. They also experience separation anxiety but they take it harder than babies because they notice that other kids do see that something is wrong with them. Physiotherapy is something that parents should not avoid when it comes to this. 

I see. But the main problem is that we all do see that something is wrong with her but she just won't tell us anything and she won't accept that she is having a problem. Now, all of us are trying to talk to her, to convince her to talk to somebody who actually can help her because this is nothing that she should be ashamed of, but it seems to me that she is aware of the situation that she is into, at least she is aware pretty much, but she won't accept this. Now, her mom told me that she is not sure anymore is she faking for some reason, or not. I believe that she doesn't wake because this lasts a little bit longer so I think that she can't fake.

Celebrity

I also believe that this kid is not faking. And I also do believe that she is aware pretty much of the fact that she is in "different condition" than her friends. But, there must be a cause for the behavior like this one. Something is happening to her in the school or even on the school bus. That is why you really need to convince her that psychotherapy must be a good idea. You need to ease this to her telling her that this doctor is her friend and that all that he wants to do is to help her. 

I see. But, how to do that? Don't you think that it is a little bit hard to convince a kid that "shrink", how the kids usually call him, is a proper person to deal with their problems? I am not sure. We are trying to ease to her almost everything - we told her that she doesn't have to go to the school for some time and that we can change her school if she wants, but she just doesn't want to tell us is this a solution, is this what she wants. Probably she is aware that if she tells us that she wants to go to another school, we will realize that she has some problems in the school for real. I just can say that we are desperate...Like there is no exit from this situation.

Celebrity

There is an exit from every situation. Don't be a pessimist, that is wrong. But the treatment needs to be determined. Some children seem more irritable and clingy as infants, and because they are in this condition, they do have more trouble establishing a regular daily schedule and have more difficulty with transitions. I believe that in this situation is your niece at this moment. Why? Because those children may be more vulnerable to separation anxiety. This type of child may require more work and attention. If you notice this, it can be easy to treat it, but if you don't, a child feels alone...