i know this is soooo weird, but i have a friend and whenever she goes to the bathroom, her eyes water really bad----- whether she is peeing or pooping, it doesnt matter---i know that sounds nasty, but please dont post stupid answers-------- this has been going on since she was a very small child------

no the bathroom doesnt stink
no its not the smell
she isnt allergic to anything either

what is the problem?

Mine do that too, and always have. I remember having to explain it a lot as people thought I was crying in the bathroom, haha, especially since I tend to turn quite red when my eyes start watering.

I've always wondered about it. When I was about 4, I came to the conclusion that I was so full of urine that it was coming out my eyes. That never really hit me as both disgusting and terrifying until now...

Can't be anything serious, as I haven't died yet at age 20.

Mine do too, moreso when I have a bowel movement. I was wondering why myself.

Mine, too, during bowel movements. Weird. I have no idea why?

My eyes water really bad too! They are so bad, if i blink, i have tears running down my face, and my eyes get really red, like i have really been crying! My husband just laughs at me, don't know why it does that, but it is just one of those things, ...i guess!

I have the same problem, since I was a child also, if she figures it out please post an answer. Nice to know I am not alone.

Mine always have watered while using the bathroom also. My mom always knew to change my diaper as a baby just by looking at my eyes.

Next week, when im back at school, im going to ask my medical assistant teacher. She is SOO knowledgeable and worked for a colon and rectal doctor for a while, so she will prob be able to give me an answer :-)

ill post it on here if she does.

This started happening to me a few years ago, and I came to the conclusion that it is because your brain is sending out the message to release fluids to your bladder, and it is going to your tear ducts as well. From what I have read, it seems to be hereditary, so I think it must just be a small brain blip in some people. If you are having difficulty peeing or have a kidney infection though, it make take more messages from your brain to release the urine, so this could exacerbate it. This is certainly what I found - as it went away after my bladder infection had cleared.

This is sad. We all here have this issue and I know that I cannot get any info about it. What causes it, how to stop it. Nothing. I been doing this since I was a kid. Dealing with something for over 30 yrs sucks!!!

Happens to me too, but only when i defecate (poo/poop). It's nothing to do with strain or the size/consistency of the poo either. It *always* happens, and has done for as long as i can remember.

I don't see it as a problem (though can understand why someone might if others ridiculed them for it). I quite happily live with it. I'm 49 and male. I just blow my nose and wipe my eyes. My wife and kids even know I'll be out of the bathroom soon when they hear me blow my nose. ;-)

That said, i'm really curious as to *why* it happens. I can't see any biological advantage in it, but maybe there is one. Perhaps something to do with making sure potential pathogens floating in the air from poo don't get into eyes and nose and so reinfect the host??

If any scientists have evidence as to cause, or would like to speculate, please post!

Thanks to the OP for asking about this. Would be great to find an answer.

I have this same problem as well.

Another strange thing is, my eye doctor has diagnosed me with dry eyes, and so I have not been able to wear contacts for the past 3 years or so. He says my tear gland is not producing enough tears, and wearing contacts can seriously damage the eyes, because they dry them up even more.

But when I go to the bathroom, my eyes tear like anything.

Does dry eyes and tearing up while moving bowels affect anyone else?

Thanks.

My eyes also water and tears run down my face, but only when I go #2.
It's weirdish. My mom said it made her job easier when I was little, she new when to change my diaper LOL.
I don't mind it, my face and eyes don't turn red or anything. Very curious why it happens though.
...I knew I couldn't be the only one! I'm 16, alive and well.

The same thing happens to me, only during bowel movements. There is no pain or discomfort involved. Just intense eye watering. I've been doing it all my life (Im aged 26) and for most of my childhood I assumed that it happened to everyone.

I kinda forgot that I even did it until my boyfriend walked on me in the bathroom (as I calmly waited for my next round, reading a magazine) and thought I was crying. I mean, obviously I knew that my eyes teared up, but I never even think about it anymore. I just grab a piece of toilet paper to dab and go about my business.

But my b/f thought it was unusual, which is what made me decide to google it. And as has been mentioned above, there is virtually NO info on the www about this phenomena, except for this forum. Interesting.

Hi everyone!
It's strange to me that anyone finds this a "problem".So what if your eyes water?
This "tearing when you poop or pee" is a totally normal hereditary trait.Everyone in my family has this same thing happen to them. Sometimes we joke that we dont need parternity tests, just watch if the baby tears up when they poo. ;-) then you know he's one of us!

Im sorry some of you feel this is a disorder, or that something is "wrong" with you.
We used to postulate that it was a genetic adaptation to living in the desert or something in our genetic history. tearing might be good for you if you have to stay still for a prolonged period of time with sand and dust blowing all around you!

Either way, rest assured, youre not defective, youre just different! Embrace it! be one with it!
its just like the quirk that some people's pee smells differnt after eating asparagus. Some people can smell the difference, some can produce the scent, and some people cant smell or produce it.

Difference makes people cool, so go ahead blow your nose and wipe your tears with pride!
You are a member of the elite 'crying poopers club'!
lol
;-)

i'm curious 2 i always thought i was alone on this