My really good friend has a daughter. She is 9 years old and she is a really good kid. But I think that she has problems in school or with some of her friends, I don't know. All that I do know is that I told my friend that she is different than she was before. So, she listened to me and she took her to the doctor. He sent them to the psychologist and he told them that this kid has separation anxiety problem.  How? Why? I mean, she is only 9 years old?!?!? Why does separation anxiety happen in children under the age of 10?

Celebrity

Hello. It is very simple. Kids don't feel safe in their current environment for numerous reasons. Of course, there are several causes for that. I know that it is hard to tell why - nobody doesn't know, but this is the main reason. Also, if somebody who they love left (sister, brother, aunt, parent or even a pet). It is common for the younger children but it is also common for the older kids as well. Maybe something has happened to her in her school, maybe a pet died - but whatever it is, you need to make her talk somehow...

Hmm, I can't guarantee for sure, but I think that a car killed their cat that was with them for 6 years. That happened a few weeks ago, but according to her story, I think that this started to happen before this. I am not sure, I can see that she is scared but I think that she is not thinking about visiting some expert to consult with him about this situation because she is scared that someone will tell that her kid is crazy. I disagree, but I can't force her to do anything. So, are those the only reasons? Maybe something else is behind this whole situation and the kid just doesn't want to talk or to tell because she is scared of something, I don't know?

Hello, let me get this clear. Separation anxiety is normal for very young kids when they are between 8 and 14 months old. I call this a "phase" in kids who are that age. But, when this happens to older kids, that is a little bit problematic. For example, when this occurs to kids who are over the age of 6, it is excessive, and lasts longer than four weeks. Because of this, the child may have separation anxiety disorder. It is hard to tell what is the cause for this kid, it is even hard to tell what is the cause of anxiety in children under 10 because kids usually don't want to talk about this... But there must be a way to find out more about this. 

Activist

It is common for the boys and girls as well and I find out that statistic says that it happens to 4 or 5 percent of the kids who are between 7 and 11 years old. This is mental illness and it happens because kids are feeling exposed to something - they are scared to be alone, they have lost someone who they love, they have problems with kids in the school. All of this can cause nightmares and those are just some of the symptoms that are showing everyone that kid has this type of disorder. It needs to be treated, especially when the kid is older help is more than needed. 

My kid went through this. He started to show his first symptoms of separation anxiety disorder when he was 8 years old. Since we are really close, I noticed this at the beginning. I took him to the doctor, I didn't have a hard time doing this. The doctor did some examinations but unfortunately, he was not able to notice anything. So, I took him to the mental health professionals who are specially trained to diagnose and treat all of that mental illness in children and teens. He was using some specially designed interview and assessment tools to evaluate a child for a mental illness and he realized that my Ben has SAD. I didn't know what this was, and then doctor explained to me. Step by step and we realized that this started to happen to him when his friend changed a school. It requires a treatment, especially if a kid goes to school.

Celebrity

I got really stressed when I read how many of kids actually have problems with his. My good friend is a physiologist and he told me what we can do to prevent this. One of the signs that kid might have problems with this is that this kid keeps talking child's independence and self-esteem through support and approval - that is one of the signs of the anxiety, even if a lot of parents don't know that. But the key is in recognition  - once you recognize it will be much easier to treat it. Of course, if you recognize it on time. 

Hi.
Because of so many different factors that can range from genetics to environmental issues. That is why.
With older kids, you need to be careful because some anxious children may actually grow up to develop a long-term condition called generalized anxiety disorder. That happens when they become a teenager or young adult. If you ask me, there is something in the school that prevents this kid to go there. Why?
Because the school is full of factors that can cause anxiety. For example, this kid doesn't get along with the teacher or with friends. That is why this anxiety is happening. Not hard to understand.