New Reply New Topic Followed by 30 people

Whoa.... what a story, JGJG. I completely understand the frustration of getting "some" relief only to have the pain creep back in and start all over again. It happened to me, as well. The pain I experienced on my right foot was excruciating, but only had minor swelling. Did you really experience unusual swelling? I have been hoping and praying that it isn't permanent, but after one year, my foot reminds me everyday-- excuse me-- THREATENS me everyday to not walk too far, walk too long and forget about running.....or else..... keep us posted on your progress and take it easy on the dance floor ;). Thanks for sharing your story. --dg

Hi! Yes, definitely, Indiba is helping me a lot. I do it twice a week. However, I still have ups and downs and although there are times when for some days I have been thinking I am on the way to recovery, other days the pain seems to be kicking in again. But it is definitely a change from haveing constant pain every day. Just let me know how it goes for you. An important thing to check is have a scan (mri or ct scan) as this will ensure the status of the bone. Most doctors may just say it is sesamoiditis by the symptoms but it is very improtant (i believe) to go deeper and check whether there is no other issue (i.e. avascular necrosis or similar). For instance, my sesamoiditis seems to be given by a suspected fracture. Not sure what came first but it is important to know for proper diagnosis and treatment. In terms of other advice that may be helpful...I strap my toe every day, keeping it down so it doesn t go in plantar flexion when I walk. I still havent found proper customised insoles but I use those that sell in sport shops, with a slightly higher arch so the weight is shifted outwards. Make her use shoes that do not bend (I have been recommended boots or similar). And I also found some sesamoid relief sleeves online (just google this) that are supposed to help. And as I am sure you are doing, keep your daughter cheered up. Also, it is a very nagging pain and not being fully disabling (most of us can still walk) it may looks like it is not much of an issue -I have seen it with doctors checking on me and being dismissive. I think i am still very far away from being back to dancing, but I am hopeful I will at some point, and being your daughter so young as well I wish her a speed recovery! Please keep me posted on how it goes with Indiba / any other treatment you will be following. All the best!

Hey --dg,
Yes swelling was unreal, not only could I not fit my foot into a shoe or nice Aussie-soft & wide Woolie slipper , I couldn't even fit it into a pair of Pluggers (Aussie thong, flipsflops) .
My foot was that bad, the swelling was like Wine cask -bag "full".
Just sitting at home with ice, elevated, on the couch watching Seinfield & googling sesamoiditis removal on you tube and good foot specialist's .
Contemplating about possible surgery...
Still sore, more swollen tonight, praying to God , Mother Mary & Father Joseph that this does not explode.
But then there are worse things happening in this world too :-( JGJG

Not sure how old this post is but I would go to orthopedic foot specialist and ask them if your bipartitie sesamoid could be a fracture. Ask for the actual written report on you MRI, you can pick it up from your doctor, you have a right to have it. Reading the MRI report itself may show that the radialogist believed the the bipartite may suggest fracture. Sometimes a doctor will dismiss this information. Good luck. My daughter did gymnastics on a broken sesamoid for months before we go the right doctor with the right diagnosis. Even a top orthopedic foot surgeon had it wrong, telling us a child should not have a broken sesamoid. He was wrong, a few weeks non-weighybearing and it was healed in one piece again!

Thanks for all of the information...I wish we could try Indiba, but when I search it, I'm not coming across anything in the U.S. She did get acupuncture treatments (just 2), and we'll probably do more of that...but we decided to have an MRI done. She has bipartate sesamoids, and it showed "stress reactions" in a couple spots of her foot. Our doctor told us that this would not lead to a stress fracture because her sesamoids cannot fracture because they are already in two (bipartate)? She had been in a boot for at least 5 weeks, but her foot was not getting better and was still hurting as she walked in the boot. Because of this, she was put in a cast on Thursday. Hopefully immobilizing it this way will help. She was also fitted for orthotics prior to getting the cast. She'll be in the cast for 3 weeks, then re-evaluate. Hope you are continuing to do better! We are so frustrated as are you I'm sure :( Good luck!