in the gym. (what else could you possibly think ?)

OK Here's the situation:

You are at the gym doing your usual workout, you see someone using a machine incorrectly. Do you -

Wait for them to finish and politely mention they are using the machine wrong and they could get hurt ?

See a staff person and tell them what happened, hoping they go to the person and correct the situation.

Just flat out ignore the situation.

If YOU are the person using a machine the wrong way:

Would you appreciate the fact someone came over and helped you do the exercise right ?

Tell them that's the way you've always done it.

Ignore them.

Bonus: If its a member of the opposite sex - would you think its just a ploy to talk to you ?

See a staff person and tell them what happened, hoping they go to the person and correct the situation. If you're really concerned about the person's safety, alert the staff. Otherwise, you might be told to mind your own bidness. However, were the staff person point out a potential problem, that staff person can always say, "It is my bidness."
If YOU are the person using a machine the wrong way: Would you appreciate the fact someone came over and helped you do the exercise right ? Tell them that's the way you've always done it. Ignore them.
Or C, thank them. Bonus: If its a member of the opposite sex - would you think its just a ploy to talk to you ? It depends. After alerting you to the potential problem, does he/she linger in that vicinity?

What about point and laugh and then squirt them with a water bottle?

I tend to follow the golden rule...I would want to know so I would tell you if:

You could get hurt doing something.

You're about to waste money on something I have wasted money on.

You're fly is down.

There is something in your teeth.

You're tail light is out.

You know, the common courtesy stuff.

Define "using a machine wrong".

Do you mean "wrong" like doing lat pulls behind your head wrong or wrong like trying to do the wrong exercise for the machine?

I like the point and laugh technique, myself.
But then, the last time I set foot in the gym it was 1993 and I was wearing a pink and grey g-string leotard.

Define "using a machine wrong". Do you mean "wrong" like doing lat pulls behind your head wrong or wrong like trying to do the wrong exercise for the machine?
Using it wrong in the sense if you keep doing it that way you are going to hurt yourself... Examples: Too much weight on a lat pull down and/or legs not held down. Going too far down on a dip. Getting your knees ahead of your feet when you do squats.

I never mind it when members of the opposite sex use this ploy to talk to me :mrgreen:

in the gym. (what else could you possibly think ?) OK Here's the situation: You are at the gym doing your usual workout, you see someone using a machine incorrectly. Do you - See a staff person and tell them what happened, hoping they go to the person and correct the situation. I am a little shy about walking up to strangers so i would tell the staff and let them handle it. If YOU are the person using a machine the wrong way: Would you appreciate the fact someone came over and helped you do the exercise right ? Yep Bonus: If its a member of the opposite sex - would you think its just a ploy to talk to you ? I doubt it but in my mind as she walked away that is what I would be thinking! :mrgreen: (Not like I could do anything about it anyway since I am married!)

Wait for them to finish and politely mention they are using the machine wrong and they could get hurt ? No, I wouldn't say anything UNLESS they were in immediate danger of injury.
Yes, if I was in immediate danger of injury. Bonus: If its a member of the opposite sex - would you think its just a ploy to talk to you ? probably This topic gets discussed on weight lifting boards quite a bit because everyone seems to think they have the inside scoop on technique, but someone can almost always post a contradictory viewpoint from a reliable source.