Hi all,

I am scheduled to have a hemorrhoidectomy on April 29 (next week). I am SO frightened :'( now that I have read these posts. I’ve suffered from hemorrhoids since I had my daughter 11 YEARS AGO, I have them internally and externally and while I’ve pretty much gotten used to them and the pain and the bleeding I still want them OFF ALREADY, but now I am having second thoughts.

? If I decide to go ahead with it, when exactly will it be okay to go back to work? By reading others posts and comments I am noticing people say 2 weeks or more. My doc never told me that I’d need to take off of work, I actually only took the Friday of my surgery off. Obviously I need to take more or will I just need to wait for the doc to give me paperwork?

? Another question is if I am want to have a baby SOON, would this be something I should hold off on seeing as the hemorrhoids came from child birth? Thank you!
:-)

I had 2 internal and 1 external hemmoroid removed last Tuesday(4-13-10). I am 6 days post surgery and am about 40% of being normal. My best advise is to get off the pain meds as soon as possible. They cause constipation. The day of surgery you will not be in too much pain because they fix you up at the hospital. Mine was done on an out patient basis. I did not have my first bm until day 3 post surgery. It was painful and hard even after stool softners and lots of fiber. Be prepared to get into hot bath as soon as your bm. It will help with the pain. I took 2 weeks off and hopefully will be able to return next Monday. The pain is more of a discomfort now. Still have minor bleeding and pain is not nearlly as bad as the first bm. Spasm occur every now and then but seem to pass quickly. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Things seem to be getting better everyday. The other problem I had was not being able to urinate. You don't realize how everything down there is tyied together. I will help to get into hot bath, it will relax muscles. I read all post prior to my surgery, and it scared me to death. I think in the long run it will be worth it, but right now you just have to bite the bullet and get it over with. Make sure you have someone with you for at least 24 hours post surgery. Hope this helps.[/list]

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much for your response. I am a little more at ease from reading your post an other "success" stories. I really do need to just GET it over and done with now. Question for you, did you take the time off of work before hand or did you notify your place of employment afterwards? I ask because i've never had to take off work for medical reasons and I've already requested off time 2 days for colonoscopy and the surgery. Should i just mention i need additional time or let my doc notify my place of employment? Thanks again!

Hi eboneye, You have to understand that the reason people are on these sites is to find some information on what the doctors don't tell you and that is heaps, but in saying that you also get people on that are having troubles with there surgery and trying to find answers.

You will hardly find posts based on good results/surgery's because if you had a good surgery there is no need to look for answers you just get back to you life but Many thanks to those who do because as you have read there are a lot of complications out there but you would have to say that there must be a lot more positive outcomes. So don't be afraid keep a Stinking Hot bath available and good luck.

I spoke with a nurse and now know that I do need to take off work for 2 weeks, so the question about that is answered. Thanks all!

Craig2 wrote:

I DO believe this and am sticking with it and getting it done. I KNOW I will be in pain, but its short term vs long term. Thanks for your response..

Hi Ebonyeye

I am literally 2 days post surgery - at present no BM, but painkillers are taking most of the discomfort away, and I was told post surgery not to worry about not having BM for at least the first couple of days.

Best advice I can give is try to relax, don't get uptight (as this makes things worse) - and make sure you take enough time out to recover. Keep your diet light, soups, etc, with plenty of fibre and drink loads.............it does help keep things relaxed.

The hot baths really work, as they help the muscles to relax (I am a holistic masseur, and recommend similar treatment for muscle strain/sprain/spasm, so it's good advise.

Good luck with the op, get it over and done with - it should help you get back on with a more even keel and enjoy life again.

Anonymous wrote:

Hi Ebonyeye

Thank you so much for the comforting words. I AM ready! 8) I will definitely be using all the advice I've been given. Thanks again..

Just make sure you keep us posted on what's been happening Good or Bad! :-D

Craig2 wrote:

Just make sure you keep us posted on what's been happening Good or Bad! :D

WILL DO!! :? :(

Well... How did it go? I am scheduled for internal/ext roid removal tomorrow. Just looking for another shred of post-surgery positivity.