Hey ,

For the past year now I have been experiencing some sort of 'rash' between my buttcheeks (on the buttcrack and directly on my anus) It is extremely itchy at times and when it gets really bad I apply hydrocortisone to ease the itching but that doesn't even seem to help. I have never had anal sex and when it starts to itch it literally feels like pinpoints of itchiness in the same places on my anus and buttcheeks. It even itches between my anus and vag but never directly on the vag. For a while I have been scared that I might have genital herpes because in the past I have gotten really bad cold sores in the corners of my mouth. The cold sores on my mouth never itched they just hurt really really bad and those would scab up and last for weeks. I have actually gotten down with a mirror and a flash light and I have never really seen actual sores that are oozing or anything, it just gets really red. I keep clean as best I can like anyone else would, I never wear thongs and I change my underwear everyday.

When I first experienced this unbearable itching on my butt I was not sexually active, it had been about 6 months since the last time i had sex. Then a couple of months later I started dating someone who I am still dating now and we do have unprotected sex. I know it's horrible but I just don't know what to do. I think to myself "if it were an STD and he were experiencing symptoms i know he would tell me" but then again I just dont know. I know if I were dating someone and started experiencing symptoms I would say something...anyway,

I have been to OB-GYN 3 times now for this problem and I tell them , "Look my anus itches really bad please take a look" and they look and they say all they see is redness no sores. The first time I went they diagnosed me with Bacterial Vaginitis and I was given anti-biotics which I took for about a week. Problem didn't go away so I went back and they gave me just one pill called DiFlucan that is for Yeast infections. Still didn't go away and since then I have used over the counter yeast infection medicine and it just never seems to clear up. It is so annoying I just wish it would stop I don't know what to do, I feel like I am going to have to just deal with this without ever knowing what it is.

Any thoughts?

it all started with a vaginal itching, a very unpleasant one. i thought it will go away, i tried natural stuff, it worked for a day or two. then after 2 months i went to the doctor, they prescribed me something for yeast infection and after few days it went away. but it started itching on my buttocks, and it's awfull . tests for yeast infection came back negative, and also a bunch of other different tests,for STD, cancer.all negative.
the vaginal itching came back, i went again to the doctor, again no yeast...
i really don't know what it's going on with me, now it spreaded on my legs, and when i scratch i notice small white bumps that disappear over night. it drives me crazy. am i going to die with this itch? ?

I have this exact same problem! what did you do? it is driving me crazy!

I have the exact same problem.
I don't know what it is. I'm not sexually active or anything.
I've had this for about 3 months now since I started working my job. I'm beginning to think it's just an irritating itch from maybe the underwear I'm wearing, or maybe the pants I wear....
because I don't have any health problems...

I just don't know what to do, or how to get it to go away.

I'm a male, and I've been experiencing this similar itching problem for the last four or five years. I think this problem is closely related to internal hemorrhoids. When your anus and butt-cheeks begin to itch, is it also accompanied by slight moisture and maybe even a small smell (I know, it's your butt, it's going to have a smell). I am not overweight, and the only problems I have ever had medically is GERD (which is completely unrelated), until I started sitting around a lot more, and combined with heavy lifting. I have not been diagnosed with it by a doctor, but I used some of the cream for it and applied around the anus after a shower and used baby powder on the butt cheeks. It seemed to have alleviated most of my symptoms and cut down the itching by over 80%. Hemorrhoids can happen to anyone of all ages, and it's especially more common in people who spend more times sitting. If a hot shower and some soap seem to get rid of all irritation in that area for a few hrs, this is quite possibly your solution.

Have your doctor check for pinworms

This is my third week of the itching from hell. From my vagina to the top of my buttcrack... I have tried every cream, and monistat 3 times... I can't go to the doctor because my insurance hasnt kicked in... but it sounds like the doctor hasn't really helped you guys anyway... somebody help us! the itching a burning is ruining my life!!!

I spoke to my doc about this exact issue. Diagnosis: Fungal infection, likely yeast. Almost without doubt. This is why you don't really see anything. VERY, VERY difficult to treat because fungi are so tenacious. You can use anti-fungal creams which will neutralize the itching. I was prescribed Clotrimazole. This is commonly prescribed for a variety of fungi, and, in particular, for what you are experiencing as a symptom. Believe it or not, it can really be picked up anywhere. The itching of the fungus may go away with time on its own, but it is unlikely. Some people go their whole lives with this sh*t from what I've heard and read. Go to a dermatologist. I think they must some special treatment for it. I am almost ready to do that, being that it is just so difficult to get rid of completely. Anyway, I hope my post helped. -Anthony

Being a sufferer of Crohn's disease, I have plenty of experience with this problem. It's not an infection, or anything truly serious. It is a rash called pruritus ani. Most antibiotics or antifungal cream won't help. The rash itself can be caused by certain foods, allergies or moisture. Try keeping the area as clean and as dry as possible, but don't scrub. When wiping yourself, wet the toilet paper first as dry tp can irritate skin and let the area air dry. Diaper cream, believe it or not, can also provide much needed relief. Avoid underwear with synthetic fibers as those can trap moisture close to the skin.

WOW. I cant believe there are so many people who have this same symptoms. Why does the itch get worse when you go to bed at night??!! I am a very in shape 24 year old, great diet, great hygiene, but this itch that I have had for a year now is making me crazy! I am glad that I found this site and heard all the trial and errors. I am going to see my doctor, I will let ya know what she thinks.

I think the gentleman who wrote on 03/13/08 is onto something. I first had this rash last summer. I began wearing skirts and used A&D ointment and forgot about it. This summer it is almost unbearable. At times there is some identifiable serrosanguinous weeping. I am currently in the middle of a one week course of Diflucan. I don't see any improvement. I think there are internal hemorrhoids of an abscess that are/is the source of the moisture causing the problem.

You have pinworms, is typical that the itching get worst at night, you are going to need antiparasitic medication, for 3 to 5 days and wash your bed clothes every day with hot water.

Dermatologists suck, mine prescribed me the hydro cortisone to relieve the itch,but hell this thing makes it unbearable to sleep at night! I'm a 19 year old male and have been living with this thing for a year and I feel like its BS that our doctors can even do their job right and actually diagnose something right for once. This is probably the most annoying thing to have because its no severe enough to render me inactive therefore I continue pushing it back and allowing it to stay there , knowing that if I go to the doctor , after paying copay and waiting 4 hours while forced to talk to some old hag about their midlife crisis, I will achieve only relieve my itchy pain temporarily. -.- >:(

I. Definition:

Pruritus ani is a chronic itching of the skin around the anus. The skin of the perirectal area is exposed to irritating digestive products in the stool; this may lead to an itchy rash, especially when stools are frequent. Often the rash is worsened by vigorous use of toilet tissue or scrubbing with soap and water.

II. Causes:

Anal itching is usually an isolated skin complaint in otherwise healthy people, but in some it's part of a disorder involving other areas of the skin. Whether pruritus ani is an isolated problem or part of another skin disorder, irritation from stools and from cleansing after bowel movements keeps the rash going.
You may find that alcohol, coffee, tea and spicy foods make pruritus ani worse. These foods irritate the digestive tract and increase the number of stools or amount of mucus secreted from the rectum.
Pruritus ani usually occurs in men. The reason is unknown.
Sometimes hemorrhoids will start off as anal itching. For this reason it is important to be examined by a physician.
Pinworms can cause sever anal itching and should be thought of if several members of the family have this problem. One can see the worms by putting scotch tape over the area than looking at the tape. This problem requires treatment by a physician.

III. Treatment:

Treatment is intended to reduce irritation of the anal skin. Careful, thorough, gentle cleansing after bowel movements is very important. Moisten toilet paper with lukewarm water, as dry toilet paper doesn't cleanse as well as wet and also irritates your skin.
Never use soap on the anal area. Cleansing with plain water, in either the shower or bathtub, will do the job.
Medications which have been succesful for this condition include:
- Lotrimin cream mixed with hydrocortisone 1% cream applied daily. Both of these are available over the counter at your local drug store.
- A mild alpha hydroxyacid applied each day.
- Plain vaseline applied each day to the anal area.
Pruritus ani is frequently stubborn and requires months of local medication and gentle skin care.
Some people need to continue the medication once or twice daily indefinitely since the itching returns whenever they stop.

I had the same problem! At first I thought it was kinda like a diaper rash thing and I used A&D cream then I thought it was hemmoroids and that didn't help. It got so bad I couldn't sit down I went to the doctor he said Fungal infections gave me pills I have to take for 2 weeks and cream. Fungual infections take forever to get rid of so I'm hoping that both the pills and cream will take care of it in the mean time I'm just feeling pretty miserable. You can't treat it over the counter because that ani fungal stuff isn't strong enough go to the doctor!