Are you still on Tylenol? Or has the pain subsided to the extent you are now med-free?

I had greenlight on Dec 18th 2012, midday. I stayed in hospital the day and all night. CThe atheter removed day later. No discomfort whatsoever, now flow good but inconsistent but in general much much better. The scab I passed 2 days ago and was like about size of almond but flatter, discomfort was manageable, not at all significant. Has been burning but at end of peeing and only in last week. Suspect that is something to do with the scab leaving? Painin general throughout the experience has been non existent apart from recent week.
My experience in general with doxtors & surgeons is quite simple; some care, some dont. I suspect your ecperience is the result of having a surgeon who has no interest in his patients welfare. I was lucky, the urologist who proposed TURP was very offhand and assumed me to be ignorant and treated me as such. I did my homework and realised greenlight would be less risky, thats why I had it done. So far so good.
I would not get TURP as its too invasive and i was told by the TURP urologist i would have to take up to 6 weeks off work! Unbelievable!

Hi Hank,

For some reason I didn't get a notification of your reply of 6 months ago. I did get a notification today (Feb 03, 2013) when a new poster posted and saw your question.

It's been 7 months since my GL. Like one of the previous posters with the back problems, I can honestly say I had a very painful recovery that didn't ease up until the ninth week post op. Frequency (a dozen times a day, 4 to 5 at night), urgency (5 seconds to get to the bathroom), and eye popping pain when I urinated, lasted until the ninth week. Like you I didn't want to keep taking any drugs including the tylenol and vicodin. Baking soda (Arm & Hammer out of the container) about a tablespoon in 12 oz. of water helped somewhat by making my urine alkaline. I'll post more later, as dinner is on the table.

Continued ... after a nice Sunday dinner and a walk ......

7 months post op, I wish I could be one of the GL success stories but I am truly not. My GL was done with a 180 watt SPX laser and took 70 minutes. My uro said he removed 70g. of my 120g. (his estimate) prostate in 70 minutes, and used up two laser tips doing it.. He also said he saw lots of pus in my prostate indicative of long term chronic non-bacterial prostatitis (all my tests showed no infection).

After my painful two month recuperation, my stream was decent though not as good as right after the procedure. I was getting up 2-3 times a night but passing 100-200 ml at a time. Urgency was gone. Still passed urine about 8 times a day, but with periods of 2 hours or so between visits to the bathroom. Only anomaly was that when I finished urinating I was getting about 20 - 30 seconds of heavy dribble which I actually couldn't feel, so I had to check carefully before zipping up during the day, or returning to bed at night. Had this been the long term outcome of the GL I would have considered it a qualified success.

But about 3-4 weeks ago, my stream decreased dramatically. My urine pattern became to have a strong stream for about 3 seconds, followed by about 3 seconds of burning as the stream gets choked off, followed by a weak stream/dribble for 30 or 40 seconds without any burning. (It reminds me of a bent hose that can pass a weak stream of water but kinks shut when the pressure is increased.) In order to see if my PVR (post void residual) had increased back toward the 200ml. it was before my GL I decided to cathetrize myself after a void and measure the output of my PVR. I figured as long as my PVR wasn't increasing, the reduced stream was annoying but not a risk to my bladder or kidneys. I found that I could not get a catheter through the last couple of inches into my bladder, and gave up after three tries. I went back on the generic flomax (Tamsulosin) and made an appointment with my urologist.

I went to my urologist last week and he said he found a membrane (maybe scar tissue) that had glued the passage nearly shut in my upper prostate (where the cath wouldn't pass). He removed it with the cystoscope and I wore a foley cath for 48 hours. I asked him if periodic cathing would keep another membrane from forming and he agreed it was worth a try, as in his experience repeated procedures whether with the cystoscope of another GL wouldn't gurantee another blockage wouldn't occur in another 6 months.

For one day after the foley cath came out all was well. But the following day it was back to like it was before he found and removed the membrane, so that was not in fact the problem.

It's been 5 days since my uro visit and I have a return appointment for next week. I haven't started to cath periodically yet, but if I can do so, and if the PVR is less than 100ml. when I do, I guess I will do that as long as I can. I am stuck because if things get worse I will have to repeat this or another type of procedure. But after having had only short term success with
Tamsulosin, a TUMT procedure, and now a GL procedure, I am in no hurry to try again. It seems to me that whatever is causing this was not helped by reducing the prostate size, increasing the size of the channel, or relaxing it with medication. My urologist said the cystoscope showed no problems at the bladder mouth or inside the bladder other than increased muscularity from my bph.

Reading other forums and posts I have run across a number of posters with experiences like mine who had undergone numerous procedures from GL to TURP to TUIP, etc. all with a re-occurrance of the problem in somewhere from 6 months to 4 years. My only conclusion is that the GL works for some for a period of time and that period of time can vary greatly. But the same is true for the classic TURP except that it may buy a little more time.

i HAD PVP JULY 2011 AND STILL FEEL MINOR PAIN @ NITE SLEEPING AS WELL AS RETRAGRADE

You're not alone. I'm just 5 days into post op and I'm in prostate/penis hell too. I can't even sit down now, It's about 4 am Friday morning and I'm going to call my UroDoc after his office opens.. I hope my Doc is more cooperative than yours. I wish both of us luck! Geno

Just a quick update on my previous post. I'm now 8 months post op... About 10 days after my uro removed a 1-1/2 cm membrane (scar tissue) at the juncture of the urethra and the prostate on Feb. 5 2013, and three days after my first self cath 5 days later, my flow returned to normal. About 11 days after that, the flow started to restrict a bit so I self cathed again. After speaking to my uro we agreed upon the strategy of me self cathing once every 10 days to keep the channel open, and prevent new membranes or scar tissue from forming. This seems to be working, and although a bit inconvenient, seems preferable to continued periodic procedures with the cystoscope or another GL. My GL recuperation was 8 weeks of pain, urgency, and wearing depends, and I'm not going back there unless I have to. The only pain I have now is when I cath and that's over in 5 minutes. Since I void before cathing, I can capture and measure my PVR (post void residual) output, which has been just 50ml. This was a big relief since a PVR like I had before (over 200ml) can cause bladder and/or kidney damage. So this is my new plan for as long as it keeps the flow going and my PVR down. All in all, I got a pretty good outcome and am much better off than I was before the GL. I no longer go into retention at night, I have a decent flow, and I only get up 2 to 3 times a night. During the day I go every 2-3 hours. I need to self cath once every 10 days. It's not the optimal or advertised outcome, but at 66 it's something I can live with.

I had this procedure 11 days ago. Afterwards a catheter was put in and stayed in for 3 days. My doctor said it was very important not to take it out before the 3 days as it was natural for the prostate to swell up after the trauma just like any body part would. I had lots of blood in the bag for maybe 10 hours and then it decreased. By the following afternoon there was no more pink in the catheter bag. Catheter out after the three days and I could urinate without any pain or any more blood. Now and then I did have an odd feeling in my prostate after finishing urinating but nothing at all serious. Stream not as strong as I'd like it to be but still no problems. My doctor said to continue being very careful to not strain myself. Said to just take it easy for probably a month.

I don't know if this is anything or not but thought I'd mention it as it's something unique to me I believe. Before having the laser treatment I was having a problem with a kidney stone. It stuck in my ureter causing an infection and the doctor had to put a stent in to allow the flow of urine to pass the stone. He also prescribed potassium citrate (1080mg 3 times a day) to see if that would help dissolve the stone. No luck there but by taking that it basically neutralized my normally acidic urine. It was my thought that the non acidic urine might have been a factor in why I have had absolutely no pain when urinating. Just a thought. When I mentioned my idea to my doctor he was a bit doubtful although said it might be worth testing this out with another patient.

I have the same problem doc says it will get better

Just had green light laxer surgery on March 10,.2019 and still bleeding with great pain when urinating. If I new this would be the problem, I would of passed on the surgery. Call the Doctor and it always the same story it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get better. Had the catheter in for two days and that was a relief when it was removed. Not any any type of antibiotic but would like something to kill the urine pain.

proman