My sister has changed a lot lately. We have all noticed that she is nervous all the time. It seems to me that she is suffering from some kind of panic disorder. I would like to help her but don't know how. Actually, I don't know a lot about anxiety so I would like some additional information.

I understand that you are worried about your sister, but I can not diagnose her like this. Only her doctor can determine what is going on with her. As you said, all of you have noticed that she has changed, so I advise you to talk to her. Anxiety can give us since of fear for no apparent reason and in many people it can be out of control. It can affect the normal life in a way that we can't even imagine. Generalized anxiety disorder is worry or fear that isn't related to a particular event or situation and symptoms are muscle tension, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, dizziness, nausea, irritability, not being able to concentrate etc. Panic disorder is another type of anxiety and it occurs when you have repeated periods of extreme panic, called panic attacks. These panic attacks last from 5 to 30 minutes. If they are left untreated, panic attacks can lead to phobias. A phobia is unreasonable fear in response to something specific. It is usually very extreme and examples are fear of crowds, bridges, heights, open places, snakes, spiders etc. There are some tips that can help your sister alleviate her anxiety, of course if this is her condition. She needs to recognize and admit that she is experiencing feelings of anxiety, stress and nervousness symptoms. She has to become aware of her body's symptoms and reactions to stress. I hope that she will be ok.

Hi, speaking from almost a life time of anxiety I can tell you what I think. At this point perhaps your sister is going through a stressfull time, though if it persists perhaps it would be best to see a Psychiatrist. Also, I find that exercise really helps, so maybe you could suggest that you and your sister enjoy a walk / run together or some other type of exercise. It's essesntial to have a healthy diet and taking vitamin B9 also helps. I found with anxiety that if I have my life in control then it's not so overwhelming; e.g. difficulty breathing, irrational behaviour... I really hope that your sister is feeling better soon.

hi, i dont know how old your sister is, but is there a possibility she is using some form of contraception? I never used to feel nervous, i used to be a great traveller and was so relaxed, then as soon as I started taking the depo-provera contraceptive injection I began to suffer from extreme nervousness and panic attacks. I have been trying to figure out what caused them for ages but recently I conducted some further research into the depo-provera injection and found that one of the (unmentioned) symptoms was nervousness and panic disorder. I now struggle to get in cars to go on a short journey, I am constantly worrying about nothing and feel generally horrible a majority of the time.
My doctor prescribed me a form of anti-depressants(although i am not at all depressed) called citalopram, which made the symptoms worse. The best form of medication I've found is talking to people and psychotherapy, using the linden method is also a great help. It is known that panic disorder's are a behavioural problem, not a mental one so try to talk to her and explain you may know what is the matter with her. I hope this helps.

hi, i am not even sure what's wrong with me. I used to be confident, funny, and be really comfortable growing up. Then my nervousness took over me in High School for some reason. Now i'm attending college and it's at its extreme! Sometimes i come to realize reality and when i'm around certain people i can be okay. But any kind of presentation, interview which i WAS NOT this way before with those things, i have my heart beating sooo fast, i'm suprised i haven't died yet.. lol. But it isn't a panic attack or anything but i'm just out of control nervous and sometimes just one on one with some one. I don't want to take any kind of medication but i just want to be normal again, it really breaks my heart cuz i know it's just mind games. By the way, i can even be at home and then think about getting nervous or an interview and my heart will start going again.. it sucks. But that's how it is. Any ideas as to how i can get help?
P.S. i thought i was alone and now i'm glad i'm doing some research.

Hi, I have had a terrible year . I had my first panick attack while going thru a house move, importing and building a new house and looking after a toddler and a newborn. The first panick was during the night after a nightmare. My heart went 130 per min and wouldn't calm down. I felt very cold and shook a lot. My hubby took me to er and they gave me beta-blockers. After that I had a check up and no heart problems. I realized it was due to stress and anxiety. From then on I started getting 'small' panicky episodes which is just what you are describing. Because I was breastfeeding I didn't want to go on any meds. But it got worse as we moved again and had more problems with the new house.

The reason why you may be having the symptoms when you are relaxed it could because you are worrying or trying to solve problems in your mind. But please see your doctor before it gets worse. :-)

SSRI's can help a lot but I also had probs getting the right dosage. I had bad reactions one example was what it's called elevated mood. It is like being overly happy and surreal. so the doctor's had to cut the dosage by 1/2 now 20mg. The main thing is to deal with anxiety early not like me wait until you get to 30 min long panick attacks. I've had all the symptoms heart flutters, stomach chills,urinating constantly, dry mouth etc fear of dying and thinking I've got some terminal illness...

At the moment I have been on 0.5mg of alprazolam and the ssri but because we are finally moving to the new house i have developed strong chest pain again. So I had an elevated mood episode for worrying and over excitment. I find I'm very on edge either up or down on the mood scale. I had to have a tiny bit of xyprexa. That's what they gave me at the er . So I slept for 12 hours. I feel so much better today.

I just thank God for this forum because I keep feeling I want to leave my husband and children because I am so stressed and unhelpful at the moment. But this forum says it will all pass. I believe with a lot of breathing techniques and support when we've moved for the last time I'll get better and not worse!

Thank you everyone and I hope I helped with something here :-) (sorry this post was meant to go to the 18 year old guy who was a runner and was having heart flutters and light head when not exercising or when relaxed)

I just thank God for this forum because I keep feeling I want to leave my husband and children because I am so stressed and unhelpful at the moment. But this forum says it will all pass. I believe with a lot of breathing techniques and support when we've moved for the last time I'll get better and not worse!!

Thank you everyone and I hope I helped with something here :-)

my doctor prescibed that effin stuff to me too. i thought i was gonna die. i was in a panic attck all day long. that stuff is horrible. i couldnt function at all

hi my 18 year old son is having panic attacks and lacks real conidence.

It started in high school and he would say he as going to school, spoke confidently with teachers and then he would bunk off. He would get ready, do homework, then he couldnt get out of the door

He started college and did the same. Had a year off and started back and has started doing it again.

He cant get up, then he feels he doesnt look right, makes himself late, worries about being late and then doesnt go. The intention is thee, but he just panics, sends me a string on phone messages about how its all ging wong and then doesnt go at all.

w wne to see a doctor. he was told counselling may help but he refused becuase he said he had a bad experiencein school. Now I am being told I am having a nervous breakdown, I have been sent home from work. I cant live with him anymore because he is ruining my life. I dont know whether to continue being kind, or throw him out and tell him to survive. I cannot aford to keep him anymore

i started having feelings of panic and anxiety attacks a few years ago and they have steadily become more intense. i have also suffered from depression now for many years. The medications helped for a while, now it doesn't seem like they much and my depressive episodes come and go. My anxiety is pretty much everyday now, once i wake up, its starts.just the thought of having to face each day brings it on. my doctor put me on Xanax which seem to help, but if i don't take it, the attacks last for a long period through the course of the day. it seems i may have to use this medication everyday and that scares me also. it seems my anxiety also seem to trigger my depression, so if i want to keep the depression controlled somewhat, i may have to take care of the panic attacks and anxiety. it is really frustrating, to be scared every single day and of every single situation i come into contact with. Looking back, i might have had anxiety episodes as a kid, but i didn't know that is what it was until i became older and i had to see a doctor for it. Each day is a struggle and without the Xanax, my chest hurts, my muscle aches,my heart races, its just awful. Am i  doomed to taking pills for anxiety for the rest of my life? I am only 45 years old.

omg i thought i was the only one suffering from depo! its done the exact samething to me but it has completly destroyed my digestive sytem as well i have been miserable for the past 7 months with tons of horrible side effects. i hope this poision gets out of my body soon i miss the life i used to live...

yes its horrible and a hard way to live, yet we have to keep fighting. Thank goodness there are medications that can help us if we need it, so there is hope. Hang in there and never give up and don't let it drag you deeper into depression.Take your meds and be open with your doctor about how you feel. Best wishes.

How long has it been since you have been off the depo? I experienced the same things, and I need to know if my anxiety will ever get better..?