Thank you for explaining the use of the appendix, it makes so much sense. My appendix burst 7 months ago, i had a week in hospital on IV antibiotics as it was also gangrenous, recovery took 3 months before i was fit for work (i'm told by the occ health nurse there's a huge difference in having your appendix out and recovering from a burst one). Anyhow I've put on 14 lbs though i eat healthy and reasonably active.
Reading your post makes sense on 2 levels the antibiotics have killed all the good bacteria and I don't eat fermented/probiotic food so i've not given my body any of this to help.
I'm going to try adding probiotics to my normal diet and see what happens.
Thank you, your post has reallt helpful

Hi Rachel,

My appendix ruptured and had to stay in my body for almost 2 months before they had to take it out. I was very fit before the surgery and stopped exercising as much after to heal but I too for the 1st time have a tummy pouch, it has made me very depressed because no matter what I do now it seems I can not get rid of it.

I am so glad I'm not the only one. I'm 46 years old and had my appendix out almost 3 years ago. I lost weight that summer (6lbs) and thought it was great. I weigh an average of 126-7 normally. Since that time I have steadily gained weight. I'm not a dieter but not a big eater. I am now 150. My doctor has talked about my metabolism. But I have never gained weight like this before and have two kids. My belly is bulging. It has never done that either. I was embarrassed to even wear a bathing suit this year. I'm 4'11. My knees hurt now too I believe as a result of the weight gain. I do need help. I'm glad it's not my imagination

I just left the hospital and had my appedix removed yesterday. That morning I wieghed 154, and tonight leass than 12 hours later 162. Was the wieghtt gain instantaneously?

Any update? I’m in the same boat and freaking out

I am so relieved that I'M not the only one who is going though this. My family thinks its all in my head and I just need to eat healthier. I had my appendix taken out 3 yrs ago. Prior to that, I was 129 pounds 5'4
Eating what I want but didnt gain weight.
Post surgery!
Depending on the day, I can reach 156 pounds even if I just drink water all day.
Believe me! I tried it and still gained weight
Several experts give me the same feedback.
"The appendix has nothing to do with weight gain." Bull!c**p! "The appendix has no real. Function for to the body." Bull c**p again!
Too many people are experiencing the same results but doctors refuse to have an open discussion.
This c**p is not normal!

Since this surgery! My body is a total stranger to me....
I had two babies in my late 30's and still manager to drop the weight...
No matter what I do, this weight does not leave.....

I have concluded that the appendix play a major role in the body! Why!!!!!
Because I have being going though this roller coaster ride every day for 3 years.
I

I was wondering the same thing..I have too

I seem to have had the opposite side affect compared to most comments on here as I've actually lost weight since my surgery. I had a laparoscopic appendectomy 6 months ago and have since lost 6kgs, now weighing 55kgs. Immediately after the surgery I had lost a couple of kilos from being so sick and hardly eating for a week, but since then I don't feel that I have changed my diet at all and still continued to lose weight. Let's hope it stays this way and that I don't put it all back on in 6 months time!

Hi I had same for about 4 months but then it started to gain

I agree with this theory. Have you had any luck with weight loss since incorporating probiotics/fermented foods?

It's very true about weight gain after removal of appendix. I had my surgery age 49. I am now 8 months post-op and gaining lots of weight. It has nothing to do with inactivity or change in diet. I exercise as much as I always have and eat the same. It seems just because there is nothing in the
medical literature about this that it doesn't exist. I struggled to figure out why I can barely fit into my clothes until I searched online. It is very real and only starving myself keeps me from gaining more. Sad but true.

It's very interesting that I stumbled across this. I had my appendix removed about 2 years ago and gained 20lbs and a gut and have not been able to lose it despite a healthy diet and exercise. I also have noticed my stomach bloats very easily. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I've seen another comment saying they tried probiotics to replace good bacteria, as there is research suggesting the appendix stores good gut bacteria, and have been able to lose weight. I am going to try this.

you have serious mental problems, i wouldnt' worry about the appendix

Hello everyone! Same frustrating story in my case! I am 36 years old, had my appendix removed about two years ago and before the surgery I was always super thin, could eat anything I wanted, rarely exercised, weight was never a concern or thought in my mind as my weight was stable since I stopped growing. Now since the surgery I have been gaining weight slowly but steadily and I have gained 10 pounds already! I eat more healthy now than I did before, still need to up my physical activity, but it's just so strange and sad... It's like my body is someone else's...what happened to my metabolism? Maybe metabolism is connected to the gut in the appendix? I will try the probiotic idea suggested by others in the thread.

The same thing is happening to me. I had my appendectomy (due to appendiceal mucocele) 9 months ago and have gained 20lbs. This is SUPER frustrating to me because I had lost 50 lbs in 2018 and kept it off until this c**p. I am at my wits end. No matter what I do I just keep slowly little by little gaining weight and I HATE IT!!! I am going to try the probiotic suggestion too.