Im a 28 year old male and I don't take medication for anything and this same thing you described happens to me as well.

I had this last night, I am a 14 year old girl n having trouble to sleep because I’m worried the same thing will happen again? Any suggestions on how to make it stop

My German Shepherd does the same thing every night. She wakes up suddenly trying to swallow, but having obvious trouble, sometimes throwing her head up. Sometimes she has a rattling sound. She looks at me with a "help me" look on her face, sometimes her eyes are half closed and flails her feet a bit. After trying to swallow, she then opens her mouth and starts panting really fast and hard. Then she will get up and move to another place as if to find relief, but continues to pant. I do notice that she is usually quite warm around her throat area at this point. I have tried allergy meds and Benadryl and antibiotics, x-rays, all to no avail. My theory is she has mucous going down the back of her throat from her nose and it is thick. I saw a sinus specialist on TV speaking of how some of his patients suffer from a fungus causing mucous so thick in their nose and throat that it goes down into their lungs and they have problems breathing. He has to aspirate it out and treat them for fungus.

Pertussis is miserable. Im 5 weeks into it. Just when i think i can handle the cough, another coughing fit starts ending in not being able to catch my breath or talk. Usually infront of people who think im choking. Get your boosters people. You dont want this.

I have the same exact problem! It happened a few times a year. And it's so scary every time. I just decided today, to type in what happens, because if happened again today, and then it lead me to this post of yours. It's frightening. I just want it to stop. It started like 8 years ago..

I have this exact same thing happen. Like2-4 times a year. It's terrible. Same exact coughing waking up and it's like the air is knocked out of me and i cannot get a breath. Takes a few minutes but i would swear I'm going to choke to death on nothing . You are not alone. No idea why it happens.

Look up laryngospasm. Ive had this occur since i was a child. Ive also been told sinusitis and the fluid you feel is post nasal drip. Also been told acid reflux. If acid backs up your throat will automatically clise so as not to choke. I hate this feeling. Gives me such anxiety. Its also twice as bad if im battling a cold. Good luck hon. I know its scary.

Hi
Do you think this could possibly be an acid reflux issue?
When you lie flat acid travels up your throat and obstructs your airways.

Hello, I just went through this last night scared me so bad I thought I was going to die.. this has happened before many of times but yesterday was different. This even happened to me while I was awake before. I think it has something to do with skipping a breath or breathing wrong, on top of sinus issues mucus builds up at night heavy and if you breath wrong with mucus already blocking airways it can get dangerous...

Dear Sunshine ! I had a kind of similar experience last night. I eventually had to ask my wife to give me water. That gulp of water resulted in vomit. And finally the vomit got me my breathe back. Yes! I was a scary experience for me and my wife.
Last night's experience has made me search this topic on the internet.
I pray the all affected get good health and feel better.
Prayers from Pakistan.

Indegestion just had it up at 3 am writing this think it is over till it lets you breath again.