alcohol blackouts and the behavior during a blackout are two separate things. You are still conscious and fully aware of your actions but are not able to store them in long term memory. alcohol just reduces your inhibitions it does not "change" your personality. You just follow instinct and natural impulses. If you have good instincts and are truly a good person then you should be fine if not........You should stop drinking.

You are just as legally and morally responsible during a drunken blackout as sober since you are still fully aware of what you are doing. Comment being responded too in Sorry to youall.

Not to good with this comment page, not agree with this post all All
alcohol blackouts and the behavior during a blackout are two separate things. Whomever wrote this can go balck out and be wild have everyone tell MR MRs nice guy what an ass they where. OUT OF CONTROL IS NOT IN CONTROL!!!

To the poster stating good people dont do bad things during a blackout, you clearly have never experienced a blackout out and the consequences.  I've never robbed, hurt, or tried to do something "bad" to someone.  But in a black out you might think you're at home alone, and that the you're in you're bathroom peeing in the toliet or something.  I've been arrested for pissing in public when i used to drink. (and had many blackouts) Was later told from a witness who was a friend of a friend that I was wasted, and sincerely seemed to think I was in the bathroom.  I've also been told i simply misinterpreted pretty much any form of communication wildly.  Blackouts are serious.  The consequences are serious, and beyond the embarrassment of drinking too much at a party and getting silly or falling down.  I almost feel as if i have some sort of PTSD from blackouts.  I had a tough life, and am someone who should never drink.  Be careful of your ignorant opinions though.  There are people who might come to this forum after a truly horrible night and someone like you just makes it worse.  

Reading these stories was interesting.

I am 36 years old - used to drink way too much when i was younger but pretty much had it completely under control. However after years of never drinking more than a few drinks at any social event, I suddenly have had two severe binging blackouts where I literally could not remember a THING. For some reason on both occasions Id start with just a few glasses of wine or a beer and then that was it, but Id keep going and then someone would ring and Id say come to where i am and they'd buy me more drinks and all of a sudden i woke u at home vbery sick with a ridiculous taxi charge. It totally freaks me out because I cannot remember a thing and when i was young I did some pretty stupid and crazy things when i was drunk - getting in fights, abusing friends and cuddling homeless people, etc.

After this recent blackout I rang all my friends but they were all totally wasted as well and cant remember a thing. They think its funny but I find it totally scary and Ive been paranoid about what I did or said that night since.

Im seriously never going to drink again - its just too dangerous and im too much of an arse after a few beers let alone wasted. When i look back at what happened when i was young i now realise that sometimes im fine but sometimes there is a 'switch' that just goes and im out of control and cant remember a thing. Its unfair on everyone and myself and I am really annoyed at myself for letting myself get like that.

I dont know about whether people in a blackout are still not compromised in terms of their actions and intentions, but I can say that I have done things drunk and been told about them that I would never even conceive sober, let alone think about doing. One night my friend and i were binging and we were feeling sorry for a homeless guy across the road. Next memory i have is hugging that guy. woke up at home the next day and that guy was in our house!

Also I would say that if you are worried about your drinking - take control of it, dont try to ignore it or laugh it away because before you know it it will take control of you.

. i feel if did a similar thing 27 years ago .... met my husband to be (didn't know it then) .... three months before i went to America. didn't want to go at the time as I just met him before i was going... he let me go as we were just dating at the time and didn't want to stop me going ... I reluctantly went and he saw me off at the airport ... arrived in California and met with my friend Jan who I was going to stay with for up to 6 months (visa for that long) as I had planned to stay in America as long as I could...had a great time but always ringing and missing my (husband to be) we decided together after 2 weeks there for me to book my ticket home...i felt relieved to be wanted back home so booked my ticket for 2 weeks after that ... Went to Vegas on a road trip with Jan and ended up in Mexico the next day ... booked into a very seedy motel and proceeded to get ready and go out for the night ... had a great dinner with Jan and we ended up at a Pub or Bar as such in Tijuana .. the parades were happening Lots of people everywhere ... Margaritas were the drink of the night and I think i must have had 2-3 or 10 of these which were very very strong ... met a guy i think called tommy lee someone (thought of tommy lee jones at the time) can remember leaving the pub/bar with him and hitting the night air and becoming very cold..we walked through the streets ... remember he brought me a jumper from one of the stalls ... the next thing i remember is waking up in an even seedier room ... looking up and seeing a person (looked like a drag queen or some kind of dressed up person) rummaging through the
room and the guy i was with saying he would kill this person if they don't leave the room ... I was absolutely lost and not sure what to do ... instinct took over and i grabbed what was mine and ran out of the room ... can't really remember how i got back to the seedy room we had hired but as soon as i saw the monkey ( tied up on the stairs by the neck ) i recognized the place ... went into the room ... saw Jan and she said Hello " she just looked at me (very disheveled) and said " where have you been " ... i just said OUT " and we left it there... continued my holiday and tried to forget this episode...got back home (Australia) and put this whole episode out of my mind..have never told my husband of 26 years about this but as you can see' I have never forgotten this and this is the first time in 26 years that i have felt i am able to put this in writing..my husband ever new we may not have married and had two beautiful children and an even beautifulest grandaughter... just had to get this episode off my CHEST!! Thankyou for listening xxxxx

One terrible night blacking out can ruined your relationship. Alcoholism is hard on the alcoholic but even harder on the ones who love them. The alcoholic does not even remember the worst times, but their loved ones do.

truest thing ive ever read

How I with that were true, I can not drink any more than a glass or two of wine over a whole night any more and I might blackout - I am very sick for about a month afterwards, I will remember nothing at all. I also act completely out of character - the life of the party, not like me at all - YES I am fully legally and morally liable for everything I do - BUT I have done things I would never ever do in my right mind - I am an academic, more of a geek and love the way I am, I would never ever want to be a shallow extrovert - I am just so glad I don't act immorally or illegally when I black out, just like a normal m***n. What you say may be true for some, but not for me, I just cant afford to drink even at normal social limits.

Oh this is really sad i think she needs bring control over her and drink only when someone trusted person with her so one can take her safely at home.

what's your solution?i'd be interested too!

Killing a Few Brain Cells,Inhibiting Memory Formation,Drugs Can Cause Blackouts, Too,Blackouts Signal a Drinking Problem.

What the hell do you know about Blackouts? Because of Binge Drinking, really? That's why? You know NOTHING about the reasons for BLACOUTs M.D. BLACKOUT! I'm 57 and have been having them for years! Do your homework, know it all!

my husband is up to 4 1/2 pints of fireball. Tonight he was passed out for 6hrs

I think you have to take care of her. I have had that experience in my past and it teaches me to always be in control of the alcohol, not the other way around. Alcohol might harm her kidney.  If still she want to drink more then tell her to eat  before going to drink alot.