https://www.steadyhealth.com/medical-answers/brain-freeze-back-freeze-and-what-to-do-about-them

Something similar happens in a "back freeze." When cold food or drink reaches the bottom of your throat, it causes a contraction in your subclavian artery. On the right side of your throat, this artery extends just a little above your clavicle, your collarbone. Cold substances at the base of your throat can cause the subclavian artery to shrink near your spine with a similar effect. However, because there is less blood flow in your subclavian artery that there is in your carotid arteries, it takes longer to get over your "back freeze."

Yes i get thoes to all i can do is groan and arch my back (doesnt help much for me as the pain is very intense also the reason i cant talk but only groan) but i get a brain freeze and back freeze at the same time its a brain freeze then it travels down my back

That’s why I looked it up I just got one

Sounds crazy but I thought I was having a heart attack the first time I had this happen to me! Doesn’t happen with ice cream, just frozen drinks. I quit drinking them! Pain not worth it! I was diagnosed years ago with a narrow esophagus that I periodically get “stretched” due to pain I get in my chest when I eat chicken, steak or bread. I assume that the frozen drinks go down so slowly that it makes my back muscles near esophagus spasm.

I get the same exact thing

Get your gallbladder checked. Gallbladder issues can cause back pain due to nerve pathways. If eating or drinking something cold or even not cold causes back pain, then that is easily gallbladder related

Oh my glob you guys, me too. I get it in my back. I just Googled it bcuz I was wondering why for years.

Hey y'all, this is why we get a back freeze. It's more painful than a brain freeze and lasts longer.

Did you get a answer back from the doctor?

Yup, I get back freeze all the time. It doesn't happen too often but when it does it's so uncomfortable!

Omg I get this to I always consider myself weird Haha ppl look at me weird when I mention I'm geatting spinal freak lol

Yep, slushes kill me!!!

New Member
1 post
Maybe it’s cause we’re all gingers? I don’t know that could just be me, but I honestly get back freeze whenever I drink slushees.

Not the only ones i get it in my spine by my shoulder blades too, my friends think im nuts but glad im not the only one.