I am a pretty bad alcoholic. If I drink two nights in a row this usually happens and it lasts 12 to 24 hours. Obviously it's excessive drinking. Excessive drinking can be different for everyone. I have been trying to quit for years off and on. It's an obsession. This sore skin feeling on top of all the other issues, you would think I could easily stop. Nope. It's very difficult. Drinking is the only thing that makes me feel comfortable anymore. At least while I'm doing it... Besides that it's totally miserable.

I have exactly the same in fact I was out Friday was I'll yesterday and now it's Sunday and all my bones are aching like flu and am drained but I know that when I've been to bed tonight I will be fine tomorrow

I’ve felt the bruised skin feeling and it seems to be getting worse. I drank more than a few drinks Friday night. 2 days later, Sunday morning, I felt like my skin was swollen. My shoulders, my upper back, rib cage, chest, throat and even my face hurt to touch. It’s not unbearable but aggravating to say the least. Especially when trying to lay down.
For me, it hurts up to 2 days after drinking. I usually wake up to this feeling and it seems like the more I drink the worse it is. And it’s not a part of a “normal” hang over. I don’t even notice the pain until someone touches those parts. It’s literally sore to the touch. I hope u all find what it actually is and it’s nothing serious. Everyone I speak to about it has no clue what I’m talking about.

I too have had this happen for a long time now. Do you also get similar symptoms of MS? Where your body literally totally goes numb?

This is the best answer by far. Explains it perfectly..Thank you

After much research, I believe the issue is MTHFR gene mutation and the effect that the ethanol in the alcohol has on your methylation cycle. This article will help with a bit of information and I highly recommend giving up alcohol completely.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hey! I'm 23 years old and been experiencing this since my first year of college. Starts around 6 o clock the next day after drinking and I'm literally so so sore and tender to touch. I used always think it was something I was eating after a night or the next day, but having not eaten, eaten vegetarian, coeliac, vegan and everything else in between its most definitely not that. I rarely drink now as it takes so much out of me. Even if I was home early, my body is so depleted and tired for days. No one will ever really understand it I don't think until it happens to them which may never come around. If only we knew more

I have the same symptoms! I read somewhere a few years ago that its basically a carb intolerance. Once you consume a ton of carbs, you become dehydrated. The dehydration effects the water in your body fat causing discomfort. At least this makes sense for me since the pain is only in the skin (fat) and not the muscle.

I get the same thing!!!! It’s just my skin it feels so bruised around my ribs and stomach. Did you find any answers? I noticed this happens to me sometimes when I consume a lot of unhealthy food in a day cause I normally eat healthy and I get the same reaction the next day. Yesterday I went out for my birthday and drank all day and I’m suffering the consequences now. Any luck on finding out what it is? It’s not in the muscles it’s on the skin. Almost feels like a sunburn/bruise everywhere but nothing is there.

I have the same thing and I also have it right now as I am typing! I also was out drinking last night and this started like 2 years ago! I will stop drinking if this is how I am going to feel

I get a terrible hangover after a night of over indulging alcohol. Typically I drink wine. My usual hangover feels the same as a migraine. I know this because years ago I started getting 4 or 5 a year and I was not a drinker of alcohol at the time. Symptoms are severe head ache, nausea and sometimes vomiting. Sometimes I wake up with only a slight headache and it gets worse later in the day. Does not seem to matter if I take NSAIDs and drink lots of water. When the pain peaks I can't drink much water due to the nausea. Years ago I figured out that taking Benadryl helps with the pain. At that time I had strong pain killers but they did nothing for the severe headache and if nothing else the Benadryl allowed me to fall asleep.
Anyway...I have noticed in the past few years the day after the migraine hangover I have very tender skin. To me it feels like a bruise. It's not sore muscles because when I use the muscles they do not feel sore. It is only my skin that is tender to the touch. Mostly back of neck and across my shoulders down to my shoulder blades. I would love to know what exactly causes this. I've been looking online and cannot find a definitive answer.

Hey there. I know your post was a long time ago but I just now stumbled on this site. Have you found an answer for your symptoms? They are highly suspicious for fibromyalgia--which can be exacerbated by alcohol. Hope you are doing well!