This question speaks for itself. I am preparing to do an at home chemical peel. I am still learning about the process and will not do it until I know what I am doing and also until I have the necessary ingredients. I am looking for skin tightening, pore reduction and skin tone improvement, and I wanted a surface peel. So the question is, can I apply a Glycolic Acid peel immediately after a Salicylic Acid peel and combine the benefits of both?

Experienced peel appliers, please give me some info. If you would like to tell me where to best order the peel, that would be helpful also.

Hi, it's usually a LACTIC acid peel that's recommended after a salicylic acid peel, and not glycolic acid. That is because salicylic, while really wonderful for acne, is quite drying in nature and also doesn't help with any pigment issues. Lactic acid actually helps rehydrate your skin and works well at reducing any pigmentation you would like to get rid of. Therefore, many people recommend that you alternate between the two, using salicylic acid, and then lactic acid, and so on. If you follow this path, you will combine the benefit of eliminating acne with the benefit of having hydrated, even skin. Hope that helps.

Health Advisor

And this is where I come in and go be a downer... as usual. Sorry 'bout that, but I think it's gotta be done. It's great that you say you won't do this until you know more about this and all that, it really is, 'cause that makes you smarter than some other people, but if I'm gonna be honest I'd just recommend against this. If you go read what plastic surgeons say about peels, it's that they should always be done by pros. You may think they're just saying that 'cause they wanna make money, but that's not true. Since I've been a member of this discussion board, which is probably a bit over a month now, I've seen more of my fair share of people saying their at home chem peels went horribly wrong and they were worried they're like scarred for life or something. The peels you're talking about are pretty mild, but they too can be used in real high concentrations, yeah? When it comes to people talking about peels on the web, it's pretty much the blind leading the blind. I just wanna make sure you don't come in here in a few days or weeks saying you're face looks nasty and hurts, you know? So, why do plastic surgeons warn about this kinda thing? 'Cause they see the really bad cases that go to them to have the damage fixed up after. Save yourself that trouble, wont'cha?

Sorry, but I have heard that glycolic and salicylic acid do not mix. They are both great on their own, although for slightly different purposes, but they cannot be combined because it results in redness, irritation, and severe flaking as well as canceling the benefits of both products out. Just stay away from that idea and use one or the other, depending on what you prefer. Now, if you want to do one a month after the other, that is fine. But you cannot mix the two together or alternate layers, just so that we are clear. Good luck! (And by the way I have done my own peels without scarring, burns, or needing to go to the ER. My skin looks awesome. So at home treatments can work! ;))

Celebrity

Can I be honest and just say that I am slightly confused by this question? I suffer from a skin condition so I do not do peels period, but I do love everything beauty, so I read about these things. I sincerely wonder where you got the idea of applying a glycolic acid peel straight after a salicylic acid peel. Did you read about this idea somewhere, or did you just cook it up in your mind, thinking that if one was good, two must be even better? If the latter, forget about that. If the former, look for another source of information.

Count me in, I feel the same way you do.

Both glycolic and salicylic acid peels can be fantastic. You can certainly have both done, but not at the same time. I did search around to see if this is a new thing, but I am actually unable to find any reliable information about it, and even unreliable information is hard to find, LOL.

I can only conclude that this is actually not a thing people do. The common wisdom would be, if you are not sure what you are doing, then either ask a beautician about the procedure in detail and then do what they describe yourself in your home, or actually have it done professionally.

Hi!

My skin is getting a bit older and is suffering from dry patches as well now that the temperatures are dipping below freezing. I have read about people getting chemical peels in magazines before but have never had one myself, and didn't know that it was possible to apply them at home too! I am really interested in perhaps doing that in the future, but want to go to a salon for the first time. What kind of peel would people say is best for my skin?

Thank you!

Thalgo m ceutic peels have malic acid and salicylic acid in the same peel at low dosages. 12 percent malic 2 salicylic

lactic and glycolic are used together.. plus some people might think mixing will give benefits of both acids in one shot. valid question but please do not mix salicylic acid with other peels. if its below 20% you can rotate every two weeks

You can have wonderful success doing self treatments. Pros are against it because it's how they make money. Be patient and follow directions and you'll do great!