I am wondering if you can get pneumonia twice? I was recently treated for bacterial pneumonia over a month ago. I also have TB which I'm in my 5th month of treatment. I only have 1 month left of medication according to my TB doctor.
The CT Scan showed that it occupied roughly 50% of my lungs. I was treated with 2 antibiotics for 10 days and released back to work 3 weeks later. The thing is, I'm starting to feel the same pain in my right side of my chest and back again, this is the same pain that I had before. My breathing is normal but It's starting to hurt when I take deep breathes. I am in the police academy and doing a lot of running and weight training. Could this be the cause? I heard that the chances of redeveloping pneumonia is less than 5%.

Yes, you can get pneumonia twice but it comes back stronger than the first time because of antibiotics. I'm only 11 and I had             hard-pneumonia when I was four. It came back 2 months ago even stronger and I don't have asthma. I was in the hospital for 2-3 days again and they are trying to figure out why I got it back. Good news is, i'm aloud to play still but not roughly until my doctor figures out what is going on. Hope this helped! :)

Of course you can get pneumonia twice. I quit counting the 15th time I got it.. I've heard that due to the scar tissue from the 1st time it's easy to get it again.. The first 5 or 6 times it was in the same place in the right lung, then I started getting it in both lungs.. Also heard you're not supposed to get it again and the scar tissue theory is false but like I said.. The first 5 or 6 times was in the same place, same lung so the scar tissue theory seemed more accurate.. Good luck! I now start taking an expectorant (guaifenesin) Mucinex 1200mg and a decongestant at the first sign of a cough or congestion.. I've now been pneumonia free for 1 year which is the longest amount of time I've gone without catching pleurisy and pneumonia since my first time in 2002. Do you have any immunological diseases? That's why I've gotten it so much. Take care and try to stay well. Hope this helps someone.

thanks so much this was helpful for a project i did on pneumonia

Yes, you can get pneumonia multiple times. I'm taking a sick day (week) right now because of yet another case -- for me, this is number 5. I had it three times in my early 30's before one of my docs caught on and recommended the pneumonia vaccine (pneumovax, at the time), and didn't get it again until my early fifties. I'm 59 now for this fifth bout.

From what I understand, at the biochemical level, it's kinda like a cold, in that there are lots of different viruses or bacterias or whatever that cause the illness (cold or pneumonia), so each bout of the illness doesn't protect you from all the other bugs that cause similar illnesses and symptoms. From what I understand...and I'm no expert.

For me, I have a flaky immune system ("compromised" as they say -- allergies, IBD, et al), which is probably the main contributing factor. Never been a smoker.

As I write this (in 2016), there have been adverts on TV for some years now for new pneumonia vaccines (prevnar is the only one that comes to mind), so hopefully the science has gotten better this time around.

Thanks. This was helpful information! I am lost in a sea of it!

Can you get it back only one an half weeks after having it in both lungs

Thank you for this information. I am working on a project for biology and it really helped me. Thank you again!

I had them on you at least 4 maybe 5 times last time they found infection in my blood

Yes , I just had phemonia two weeks ago it really knocks it out u ... I have asthma too and they kept me in for nearly three weeks and I'm feeling the same pain again but it's not as bad it could just be your still recovering from having all that in ur lungs like I think that's why I'm having the same pain ... I'm a lil late with reply did anything come of it ? :) hopefully not I vomited everyday with that it is pure horrible :)

First was 2009 next was April 2016 kept getting cat scans til Sept. Then in July 2017 I got it again I've been well barely 2mths and surprise its back for the 4th round. Its stupid I've had all the shots and gave in for the flu one a mth ago. Good luck

I am 16 and have got pneumonia 5 times, so yes you can :)