Hi: Have you found out what it is. I have the same thing too

Hi, I am a 67 year old male and I can state that most of the comments here apply to me. All the tests done. All neg.
That was 12 years ago. Started from one run to the next, just like that. Stopped running.
Started walking about 5 years ago. Now I am doing 7 miles a day at sub. 14min/mile. from 5 to 20 miles with no problems. i see all these runners and it gets me. So on a whim I entered a 10k last May. Finished with a 1:10hr. But the pain stared after about 5 min. but I just worked thru. After the run the pain turned to a deep dull aching, like a muscle bruise. Next day, while leaning over a railing I felt a physical pain in the just below my ribs, like somebody punched me. Did not make any sense.
So I started my search again, found many blogs, with exactly the same issues discussed. Only one comment, a Dr. mentioned Pounding as a possible reason.
As I kept searching, it hit me that the pain felt like the pain after one had a cramp, deep, dull aching and when one pressed on it you could feel the pain. Same in my sternum.
Something cramping up while running, combined with the pounding? (it does not occur in any activity even if my heart rate goes from resting ,55, to 145)
So, how can I avoid this? Relax?
Yes. Did the following: first started walking at high pace for one mile before then started running. Better, less pain. Interesting. The next one I did the same, but as I started running I opened my mouth wide, relaxed my jay, creating the least resistance for the air to enter. No pain. Ran a 10k at a 9:30 pace no pain. Now I'm testing running without walking first, mouth wide open, relaxing my jaw, in my mind I envision this big open pip going to my lungs. So fare it works.
It may also explains why breathing thru ones nose works; more relaxed?
Try it, it may just works for you.
Good luck.

So, how can I avoid this? Relax?
Try it, it may just works for you.
Good luck.

So, how can I avoid this? Relax?
Try it, it may just works for you.
Good luck.

•  

Heart starts pumping at a very high speed when we are running and if there is any underlying problem in your body maybe some blocked arteries, then you may experience pain. I also experienced pain once, after that, I consulted with a doctor. My heart beat was Ok and he didn’t find any clue by which this is happening. After three years, one day I started vomiting and I ran to the doctor. He told me that I am having a fatty liver problem. I do not own any kind of addiction and also my age is not much. Today, I am perfectly fine and don’t experience any pain. Now, I think that pain was due to the deposition of cholesterol in my body that gradually became a fatty liver disease. If you are experiencing pain, you should avoid eating anything that may enhance cholesterol levels in your body. Eating everything right is very important to prevent the occurrence of any disease. Anyhow, you can continue with your exercise and run. But, whenever you run try to run with an empty stomach.

Sarah I have the same problem sinds 3 weeks ago. I cycle 30 miles every day to my work. 5 day in a week. I would like to advise you to go and visit your GP for check up. It could be a Nero blood arteries. Probably Caused by cholesterol fat blocking the arteries. When you try to run your heart is pomping more blood through the arteries with extra muscle power. I think that gives you pain on your chest. Remember one thing pain on left side of your chest comes always from your heart.
There are more symptoms from. Ask your doctor

Guest,
no, you do not have the same problem.
Sara got it while running, and most of the posts are about running and having no problems with any other high level activities. So your assertion may be for you (cycling) but it does not hold true for most of the ones on this blog. See my experience ( comments 5 month ago).

Look into angina pectoris. If it keeps coming back with physical activity you could be on your way to a heart attack

I'm 49 male and have ran for at least 5 years and never experienced chest pain either breathing in or out my mouth. I do get occasionally heartburn because I'm an id**t and drink coffee before I run but other than that I'm good. I would closely at your diet. I've been vegan for about as long as I've been running and I know it has helped me out quite a bit.